State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 58 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

delray1977

Rinkside
R.D. ...... at least Ashley managed to stay in the top 5 again and got our 3 spots back. No offense to Alissa but she went crashing from 5th the previous year to 22nd last year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
R.D. ...... at least Ashley managed to stay in the top 5 again and got our 3 spots back. No offense to Alissa but she went crashing from 5th the previous year to 22nd last year.

Yeah, literally too.

Thank goodness neither was injured this time and it was really Gold's move up that sealed the deal. I didn't think Wagner was going to improve from her 5th after the SP so it was on Gold to move up from 9th and she did. (although - X-Factor again, who knows if Wagner would have given a gutsier performance if Gold struggled)

We'll see how Wagner does on her next trip to worlds (assuming she makes it).

Layfan

Record Breaker
The competition was much tougher this year at Worlds then last season.

yes, exactly. Seriously, this year Kim, Carolina and a much improved Mao Asada were on the podium. MAY-BE Ashley would have medaled if she has been completely perfect in her two programs but come on. The girl fought for fifth in a very very difficult field. I watched her live and I was impressed with her grit. Yes the jitters sort of came through but also her sheer will never to give up no matter what happens out there. I was actually impressive to watch her get up from her fall with a smile and then not lose her cool. Yay for Ashley!!! I don't agree at all with those implying that Gracie deserves more credit for getting the third spot back than Ashley. Both fought hard. Fifth and sixth in this field is simply remarkable.

I really hope to see both of them on the Olympic team next year as they both are quality skaters and have proven themselves to be worthy competitors. There are many lovely ladies they have now opened the door for. Cristina? Agnes? And I'll never give up on Mirai. Imagine having the Olympic team be Ashley, Gracie and Mirai, all at their best. :love:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai has had her chance, in 2010. She'd have to show a heck of a lot more grit and enthusiasm to impress me or the USFS judges this coming season. She was so robotic and lackluster at 2013 Nationals that even Mirai fans in the audience were disgusted.

I get the feeling that she is skating now because that's what her parents expect her to do, since they have invested so much money in her skating for so many years. There just doesn't seem to be joy in it any more for Mirai.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think you have to remember she was sick as well. That certainly didn't help matters.

Who knows how she would have done if she were at 100%...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Mirai can't rotate those jumps it won't matter how enthusiastic she skates. Some skaters just can't rotate fast enough and have problems like Mira does.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If Mirai can't rotate those jumps it won't matter how enthusiastic she skates. Some skaters just can't rotate fast enough and have problems like Mira does.

It's frustrating because she is so close to finishing the rotation on her jumps that if she can pull off another 1/8 rotation she can get back to LPs scoring 115+. When I heard she was working on the 3F/3T at Nationals I was frustrated because she needs to be working more on finishing the solo triple jumps she isn't getting credit for.