Page 70 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1147

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

Custom Title
    No one expects Gracie to medal even if she's clean in both the SP and the LP program. However she will beat the likes of Murakami, Korpi and perhaps even Wagner.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    No one expects Gracie to medal even if she's clean in both the SP and the LP program. However she will beat the likes of Murakami, Korpi and perhaps even Wagner.
    ...assuming she can deliver. Last time I checked she hasn't beaten Ashley or Kiira, and Kanako has beaten Gracie 2 of the 3 times they met.
    Last edited by kwanatic; 02-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ...assuming she can deliver. Last time I checked she hasn't beaten Ashley or Kiira, and Kanako has beaten Gracie 2 of the 3 times they met.
    I think that's exactly what Jammers meant by "if she's clean."

Icey, yes, the last couple worlds weren't that great for the ladies, which is why this year is so brutal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I think that's exactly what Jammers meant by "if she's clean."

Icey, yes, the last couple worlds weren't that great for the ladies, which is why this year is so brutal.
    If they are clean, too? Why assume one really inconsistent girl clean, and not the others who are less inconsistent?
    That's so silly. The other girls are capable of beating her if they are clean and she's clean. Kiira is planning 7 triples LP herself.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I Going to worlds not winning the lp at her own nationals does not bode well.
    Evan Lysacek, Tara Lipinski, and Sarah Hughes all went to the Olympics without winning Nationals at all, never mind just the free skate. And they all won gold. Sasha Cohen beat Kwan at Worlds twice (silver medals in 2004 and 2005) after losing to her at Nationals.

I think Nationals standings are only relevant to get you to Worlds. What you do there is unrelated. And as others have pointed out, Ashley was not 100% at Nationals. She is a fierce competitor and not likely to show up at Worlds preoccupied with Nationals results.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Evan Lysacek, Tara Lipinski, and Sarah Hughes all went to the Olympics without winning Nationals at all, never mind just the free skate.
    For that matter, Alexei Yagudin never won Russian nationals, and I think he only skipped it once during the years he was winning gold or silver at all his international championships.

Here is a really cool highlight video of the 2012 Nationals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXX91mj1wao

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    If they are clean, too? Why assume one really inconsistent girl clean, and not the others who are less inconsistent?
    That's so silly. The other girls are capable of beating her if they are clean and she's clean. Kiira is planning 7 triples LP herself.
    Ultimately, the speculation comes down to this

a) If everyone is clean, how do they rank?
    b) Is skater X more or less likely to be clean compared to the remaining skaters.

I think Gold would be cleaner than Korpi simply because the latter is injured and doesn't have the strongest jumps in the first place, in this example.

Custom Title
    Kiira Korpi may plan a 7-triple FS, but it's doubtful she can actually land 7 clean triples.
    She lips (3fe) and often doubles jumps. At CoR, she landed just 5 triples. And that was one of her better skates.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Ultimately, the speculation comes down to this

a) If everyone is clean, how do they rank?
    b) Is skater X more or less likely to be clean compared to the remaining skaters.

I think Gold would be cleaner than Korpi simply because the latter is injured and doesn't have the strongest jumps in the first place, in this example.
    Possibly, but I doubt we'll be able to see Gracie with CoR SP and Nationals FS. She has much more pressure on her now that she has to bring 3 spots back.

Custom Title
    Well Kiira's not going to Worlds anyways now so that's one less person Gracie needs to worry about. And a clean Gracie will beat a clean Kanako, who doesn't have that great PCS and bad technique on jumps. With a strict caller, Kanako might wind up with pretty low scores b/c her jumps are almost never fully rotated.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Well Kiira's not going to Worlds anyways now so that's one less person Gracie needs to worry about.
    Is this confirmed? I saw she tweeted something today about her body "not cooperating" :-), but didn't see a formal announcement.

If Kiira is out of Worlds, that definitely helps both the U.S. and Russian women in the quest for 3 spots, as Kiira would almost certainly have been top 10.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Well Kiira's not going to Worlds anyways now so that's one less person Gracie needs to worry about. And a clean Gracie will beat a clean Kanako, who doesn't have that great PCS and bad technique on jumps. With a strict caller, Kanako might wind up with pretty low scores b/c her jumps are almost never fully rotated.
    Agreed. No question a clean Wagner and clean Gold beat a clean Kanako, and I expect both would be placed over a clean Suzuki too (whether they should is a moot point). Both would beat a clean Osmond as she doesnt have the tech. content of Gold or the PCS of Wagner. The biggest question is how both would compare to Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva skating cleanly as well, but even if they finished behind them that would at worst be 6th and 7th and 3 spots for the U.S back . Of course it is silly to assume everyone would skate cleanly. Despite her recent problems I think Wagner is the most consistent of that whole 4-8 group and the most likely to skate clean or close to it. Either way the U.S has a good shot get that 3rd spot back. Wagner could medal if she rediscovers her early season form and one of Asada or Kostner bomb to give her the opening. Gold IMO cant medal this year even if she skates lights out and others make mistakes, 4th or 5th is best scenario for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Is this confirmed? I saw she tweeted something today about her body "not cooperating" :-), but didn't see a formal announcement.

If Kiira is out of Worlds, that definitely helps both the U.S. and Russian women in the quest for 3 spots, as Kiira would almost certainly have been top 10.

I see it's confirmed on IceNetwork.

Down With It
    With the ladies' SP at Worlds one week away - thoughts?

Wagner article: http://t.co/qv40gIcA4x

Gold article: http://t.co/zcBtM1vbjR

One wonders if, considering everything, this team is good enough to do what it's being asked to do...

Page 70 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast