Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: JGP Sencila-Bled Cup 2012 Men's Preview

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Kovtun did not skate his best at Russian Junior Nationals and wound up placing 3rd, behind Bush and Dmitriev, who were named to the JW team. There was talk that Kovtun really should have been sent instead of Dmitriev, who did not qualify for the JGPF and wound up placing 14th at JW, but Russia tends to stick to it's Junior National's results when determining JW spots, so Kovtun didn't get to go. Now that Bush and Dmitriev have both aged out of juniors, I'm sure Kovtun will be on the team this season. He was very good in the FS at last season's JGPF.

Anyways, regardless of if he's a "complete" skater or not, Chen's score from JGP Austria speaks for itself, it's the highest score of any junior man this season and is just a fraction of a point lower than what Han Yan won the JWC with last season, which was a world record score. Based on that, he is competition for Kovtun and likely to beat him if he can skate like he did in Austria. Keep in mind Chen managed that score with no quad and just 1 3a in his FS.

In any event, this field is super deep! I'd actually say Tanaka is a main contender for a medal because if he skates well he's really almost on par with Farris and Yan and could probably beat Jin based on PCS. When he's on, Tanaka is a very very strong skater, he just tends to be "off" a lot unfortunately. I just hope that Farris and Yan can both qualify for the JGPF! Josh has his one gold which should help him, so even if he is off this competition and falters, finishing say 4th, behind Yan, Jin, and Tanaka, he would likely still qualify. Yan is likely to finish 1st or 2nd at his next event and I don't see him off the podium here so he should be fine. I'm excited to see Jin again, his jumps are amazing!

Also, Tanaka's PB score was from JW in 2011, where he won silver, not 2012, where he was 7th. His FS at 2012 JW was really strong though and he was a close 5th in that segment.
    Tanaka suffers from poor PCS like Hino
    I'd take Jin if he skates clean like in Austria would improve better his scores

I'd say this JGPF will be comparable with the Senior GPF
    Its very deep field with anyone of the possible finalists capable of medaling

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Tanaka suffers from poor PCS like Hino
    I'd take Jin if he skates clean like in Austria would improve better his scores

I'd say this JGPF will be comparable with the Senior GPF
    Its very deep field with anyone of the possible finalists capable of medaling
    Well Jin didn't skate in Austria apparently, and his free skate in Courchever wasn't completely clean either (a step-out in his first 3A). Did you mistaken Nathan Chen for Boyang Jin? Nathan did skate clean in Austria.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnet View Post
    Well Jin didn't skate in Austria apparently, and his free skate in Courchever wasn't completely clean either (a step-out in his first 3A). Did you mistaken Nathan Chen for Boyang Jin? Nathan did skate clean in Austria.
    I am refeferring to Jin
    sorry for the typing mistake, yes he competed in France not Austria

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Quads alone don't make a complete skater. Voronov, Reynolds and Menshov all have quads, and none of them can be said to be a 'complete' skater.
    Yes. Quads don't make complete skater. But complete skater has quads.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    A 13-year-old (Nathan Chen) doesn't have the upper body strength required for a quad. But he has everything else he needs to be a complete skater, and he has plenty of time to get the quad.
    I meant that Nathan is not complete, so we wait great progress of him in future. He is very good, and we may hope that he will be much better in future.

There are no complete male skaters younger 17 (or may be 19) years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2