Cynthia Phaneuf retires | Golden Skate

Cynthia Phaneuf retires

Mao88

Record Breaker
Cynthia Phaneuf has announced her retirement from competitive skating following a stress fracture diagnoses to her back over the summer and a turbulent 2011/12 season:-

Article reads:-

MONTREAL - Two-time Canadian figure skating champion Cynthia Phaneuf is stepping away from the ice.

The 24-year-old from Sorel-Tracy, Que., announced her retirement on Wednesday, coming after a roller-coaster 2011-12 season nagged by lingering back pain and a coaching change.

Phaneuf, the Canadian champion in 2004 and 2011, was diagnosed with a stress fracture in her back over the summer.

Here also is the Skate Canada press release on her retirement

Last edited:
Oh, my goodness. Poor Cynthia! And poor Canada.

I hope she finds something that it as satisfying to her as skating, and that she can enjoy the next phase of her life.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I am sad about the injuries she sustained and her decision to retire, according to a post @ FSU (from a Canadian newspaper called the National Post), she has been offered a job at Isabelle Brausseur's skating school in the Phila. area. Now Isabelle & Rocky coach in Marlton, NJ (southern NJ), so she'll be in our area!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm sad for Cynthia, but I think this was the right thing to do: at her age, with this kind of situation, retirement is the wisest choice. I wish her all the best! :thumbsup:
(I'll always remember her 2010 Worlds performance, it was just :love:)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Good luck to Cynthia in her future endeavors. She has always been a hard working committed skater for Canada and she should
be proud of her accomplishments.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think it is always sad when a skater retires, well it wasn't said, because of money or injuries I sense that had she been healthy she would have continued. She has had a couple of off years but really she still had the goods and room to grow (reasonable room - in otherwords you could see her getting the lutz consistent again and adding even the flip) with not a lot of competition in Canada she still had a very reasonable and realistic shot of making Oly 2014 (maybe not 2013 worlds but she still had the Oly chance. She had an interesting kind of presence on the ice - not the usual princessy American champion look. I kind of wish she had won the bronze in 2010 it seemed to be a gift for someone to grab - Lepisto got very lucky. It could have gone to three ladies all not so deserving perhaps. NO one will say it but Lacoste, Osmond, Samson et al are breathing a bit of relief. I wish Phaneuf well but I kind of think she never reached her full potential. For a while it looked like Canada had two top six skaters with Rochette.

sillylionlove

Medalist
While I am sad about the injuries she sustained and her decision to retire, according to a post @ FSU (from a Canadian newspaper called the National Post), she has been offered a job at Isabelle Brausseur's skating school in the Phila. area. Now Isabelle & Rocky coach in Marlton, NJ (southern NJ), so she'll be in our area!

I think they actually coach at the rink in Mt. Laurel which is about 10 minutes from Marlton which is like 15 minutes from me. Might have to take a quick road trip. Her boyfriend plays for the Philadelphia Flyers and when the lockout is over they practice across the street from me in Voorhees. That was probably one of the reasons she picked to work there