Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Skating Commentating: What "should" or "should not" be said?

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I find it quite amusing - in an annoying way - when commentators who talk incessantly during a routine, then end by saying "I felt no connection to the program", and I can't help but think: "Well, if you shut up for five seconds straight, you might... "

Oh, and hello everyone! apropos "shutting up" - I only registered to be able to view the board, I've been lurking for some time, enjoying reading the conversations - and didn't anticipate that the first thing I'd do after registering, was reply to the first thread I read... But such is life.
    LRK, I think I've seen your comments on skating blogs - could this be the case? Nice to have you on board, either way

The portuguese eurosport commentators never talk during the performances. Whatever they have to say they say it in the end of it while the slo-mo is being shown and during the knc moments. I like that.

@ Mrs P & Buttercup - Oh, thank you! This does seem like a very welcoming forum, and I'm feeling quite a glow of pleasure at your kind words. And Buttercup, yes, indeed, it might be so. (LRK are my initials - I've no imagination when it comes to usernames. )

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by owlskater View Post
    I agree with you about Tara being negative. As soon as someone makes a slight error, she writes them off. The other day she said one of the top ladies was "falling apart" I think it was Gracie, who took silver! That is not falling apart. Then, she never says anything good about the skaters, does not point out what they are doing well and talks incessantly. In the past I thought it was her inexperience, but now she has no excuse. I am another fan watching with the sound off.
    Yes, it was Gracie. Definitely, winning a silver in your second GP is not falling apart
    Welcome, owlskater!

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I find it quite amusing - in an annoying way - when commentators who talk incessantly during a routine, then end by saying "I felt no connection to the program", and I can't help but think: "Well, if you shut up for five seconds straight, you might... "

Oh, and hello everyone! apropos "shutting up" - I only registered to be able to view the board, I've been lurking for some time, enjoying reading the conversations - and didn't anticipate that the first thing I'd do after registering, was reply to the first thread I read... But such is life.
    Welcome to Golden Skate! Please return and post often! (I am not very creative with my username either but at least I find it easy to remember )

Thank you! And that's a very good point; especially for someone like me, who, let's face it, has a memory like a sieve - and that's on a good day!

Oh, and since my resolution to register and continue to lurk lasted for all of about two minutes, I think it's safe to say that I'll post again.

Custom Title
    Tara can be VERY annoying. She is very critical of skaters' performances and somehow always manages to bring up the fact that when SHE was skating, SHE did so-and-so (or didn't do that, or did that so much better).

Her comments about Gracie were mean and obnoxious. Doubling a jump isn't falling apart. Of course, Tara herself never doubled a jump (but she did flutz and her 2a got about an inch off the ice).

deleted wrong thread came up
    Last edited by skateluvr; 11-20-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't think she was stupid. I think she was emotionally fragile and overwrought. She had been solicited and badgered by both the Canadian and Russian contingents for months leading up to the competition. Her own federation president was in the mix, as well as her best personal friend in skating, a Russian official and judge. When she was rushed at by Sally Stapleford in the hotel lobby immediately afterward she broke down in tears. She later said that she truly believed that Berezhnaya and Sikharudlidze gave the better performance, but when confronted by the "irate mob" she ended up not knowing what she truly believed.

By the way, here is a reference to the French judge thing from the 2012 summer Olympics, about boxing.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/olympics...ummer-paid-off
    I'm way behind with this thread but just wanted to add that I remember Japanese skating officials saying the same about the French judge in a figure skating magazine (or it might have been on the web).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiandorocks View Post
    The portuguese eurosport commentators never talk during the performances. Whatever they have to say they say it in the end of it while the slo-mo is being shown and during the knc moments. I like that.
    I think it's that Italians who are the complete opposite. They absolutely cannot shut up during the performances.

As for Tara, I do like her commentary. I still think there's a bit of a double standard; when a man like Dick Button is critical he's just being honest, whereas the same comments from Tara make her seem snarky.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I sympathize her. So that has proved my belief - the second gold medal shouldn't have given out. And 6.0 was too vague to distinguish which was the correct judgement.
    BB, you're absolutely right...the 2nd medal shouldn't have been given out but then all you have to do is cry and you get a medal. Did anyone ever comment as to how Anton & Elena felt about sharing the medal??? I felt sorry for them but they were the gracious ones.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think it's that Italians who are the complete opposite. They absolutely cannot shut up during the performances.

As for Tara, I do like her commentary. I still think there's a bit of a double standard; when a man like Dick Button is critical he's just being honest, whereas the same comments from Tara make her seem snarky.
    I actually like Tara, she is more honest than some of the others, which is good. I did cringe though when she said something about Gracie's 2 axel technique which is identical to Tara's.

Custom Title
    commentators have to be honest!
    I never watch CBC, because it is the worst about russian skaters, just bad.

ABC is ok, and the best is british eurosport, its my favourite one , sometimes they could be not honest as well, but rare.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It helps for British Eurosport, that they haven't had great singles & pairs teams in a long time. They can be very objective, then.

But they seem like nice, positive guys...which I appreciate.

Custom Title
    I really enjoy the British Eurosport guys. But about Tara, critical does not bother me at all - if it is balanced or even across the field, I actually love it and feel I learn from it. What I dislike is constant chatter during the performance especially when it isn't even about the skater. I like pre and post discussion, with element calling only (and the occasional gush or gasp) during.

I have no problem with commentators criticizing. That's not my problem with Tara's commentary. My problem with Tara's commentary, personally, is that she criticizes without much substance. For example, the whole "She's falling apart" comment during Gracie's program at COR when she made just one jump error. Or when she constantly compares the skaters to her time in skating or how she does it.

As I said, she used to be really good about talking more about the elements, so I'm disappointed that it's watered down for whatever reason.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast