Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick! Someone call up Noah

Quick! Someone call up Noah

We are under flood advisories/warnings here in South Central Alaska. As I type this it has poured non stop at my house for about 30 hours (if not more). My entire driveway is a LAKE with ankle deep water. We haven't been down to the basement yet, but we're worried about possible water damage down there.

We're used to "monsoon season" but this is an early one and we've also been dealing with hurricane force winds (again not uncommon, but too early). Power's gone down in most areas, trees are falling over due to over saturated ground so they just pull right out of the ground due to teh wind. It's been pretty crazy!

In Seward the road in and out of the town is CLOSED. streets are washed out, and they could lose bridges. It's all under water. The dogs at Ididaride are fine (wet, of course, but fine) but Danny had to go rescue another mushers 40 dogs because they were lower down the mountain. They live along a couple of rivers, though, so they may have to move the dogs even higher if this rain doesn't let up.

http://www.ktuu.com/city-of-seward-d...,3965696.story

Custom Title
    Oh, goodness, Toni! That sounds cataclysmic. Stay safe, and keep us posted.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    We just went through a fall storm last night- 60 mph winds, and tornado warnings. The cellar flooded a little, but it didn't get up high enough to kill the furnace again. I've got to go fix gutters tomorrow-things didn't drain correctly.

Couple of videos by a local news station:

http://www.ktuu.com/videogallery/724...ng#pl-62893695 - "Airport" washed out (it's just a few runways really)

http://www.ktuu.com/videogallery/724...ll#pl-62893695 - a waterfall turned water chute. check out the tractor. It's got someone driving it moving silt out of the way so that it doesn't push thruough and take out the bridge, but the water is pushing it along a whole lot faster than those things typically go!

Seavey's are dealing with flooded driveways, and the box canyon river that runs by the houses and dog lot is being worked on as we speak to keep the river flowing in it's normal path - and away from the houses...

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    We just went through a fall storm last night- 60 mph winds, and tornado warnings. The cellar flooded a little, but it didn't get up high enough to kill the furnace again. I've got to go fix gutters tomorrow-things didn't drain correctly.
    yeah our gutters couldn't keep up, it's such a mess outside right now lol

Joint Base Elmendorf-richardson (jber) reported a tornado like wind storm last night... damage looks like a mini tornado ripped through - http://www.adn.com/2012/09/19/263164...mers-jber.html

So much terrifying weather around the world and accelerating. I ask Mary to protect all who call on her. Amen.

Our rain stopped last night and this morning... but it's back to pouring. The Kenai river is flooding in the upper region, and Seward is still completely under water... this happens every 20 years or so...

Custom Title
    Hang in there, Toni! It sounds pretty awful. At least I know that being a resourceful Alaskan, you have supplies on hand, and you seem to have power. Hope the rain moves out again for good.

yeah we haven't had power issues here in Kenai thank God.

Interview with Travis Beals who used to work for the Seavey's before he and his girlfriend (who also worked for the Seavey's, and I took her job when she left them. His dogs are the ones that Danny Seavey rescued the other night and is taking care of now. Danny's house is flooded and so they're all moved over to his grandfather's house (just across teh street basically). No rain today so waters are going down, but more rain should be coming in tonight or tomorrow. A major road in Kenai has washed out as well... crazy!
    http://community.adn.com/?q=adn%2Fnode%2F162456

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    I'm glad the dogs are all being moved to safer grounds Around here severe weather has been infrequent, but when it comes it's been terrifying. I hope the coming rain is just some drizzles!

Sounds like the dogs are out of Seward at this point. I haven't heard anything from Danny, my job is probably on the line as the whole place is pretty much wasted... they may need to cut costs, I don't know - haven't spoken to him since this all happened. Their power's been out for a while now.

Here's a vid/audio from the Anchorage Daily News' interview with Danny today... http://vimeo.com/49945685

Custom Title
    I hope you are able to resume your job! That would be awful if they had to lay you off. At least the dogs are safely away, but I hope that the Seaveys will be able to recover in time for the mushing season.

The mushing season isn't in jeopardy. Mitch trains out of Sterling in teh winter/racing months... but the summer season could be in trouble... especially since Danny and his family have plans to move out to Virginia for the winter.

Custom Title
    Virginia for the winter? You mean, they won't be in Alaska, mushing? Or does mushing come closer to spring?

Danny doesn't race - and his wife wants out of the cold weather lol Mitch (danny's dad) is the lead musher in their kennel... Danny just runs the business end of things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast