Thread: Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure?

Hybrid View

Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure?

Following on from today's performance at the Nebelhorn Trophy in which she fell on her 3Z (which was mean't to be part of a 3Zx3T combination) and singled out on a 3F, is it the case that Adelina Sotnikova simply cannot cope with the pressure of senior competition? Since the beginning of last season, when she started competing in senior competitions, she has made mistakes in practically every competition she has competed in (making mistakes on elements that she can normally perform extremely well). However, she had problems with injury last season which may have dented her confidence, and she is still only 16. Nevertheless, others that age have been able to cope with the pressure and even thrive on it. Baiul, Lipinski, and Hughes all won Olympic titles at that age, and Tuktamysheva won both of her first two senior Grand Prix events last season.

Carolina Kostner had difficulty coping with pressure during the early part of her career, but ultimately learned how to overcome the problem. However, it took her a very long time. Hence, if the problem with Sotnikova is a temperament one, can she ultimately overcome it?

Custom Title
    Nah, way too early to declare this and particularly in a 16-year old. To me it takes several senior seasons of evidence before declaring someone a head case or someone who continually crumbles under the pressure. To me, it just looks like her body has grown up and filled out, which takes some adjustments. Injury doesn't help. While she may not have won the gold medal every time out, that expectation shouldn't have been placed on her anyway. AFAIK, she hasn't had any major meltdowns or embarrassing placements yet at international competitions, has she? What's not to like? Might be worth pointing out that the majority of the other senior ladies last year, even veterans, were also not mistake-free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Following on from today's performance at the Nebelhorn Trophy in which she fell on her 3Z (which was mean't to be part of a 3Zx3T combination) and singled out on a 3F, is it the case that Adelina Sotnikova simply cannot cope with the pressure of senior competition? Since the beginning of last season, when she started competing in senior competitions, she has made mistakes in practically every competition she has competed in (making mistakes on elements that she can normally perform extremely well). However, she had problems with injury last season which may have dented her confidence, and she is still only 16. Nevertheless, others that age have been able to cope with the pressure and even thrive on it. Baiul, Lipinski, and Hughes all won Olympic titles at that age, and Tuktamysheva won both of her first two senior Grand Prix events last season.

Carolina Kostner had difficulty coping with pressure during the early part of her career, but ultimately learned how to overcome the problem. However, it took her a very long time. Hence, if the problem with Sotnikova is a temperament one, can she ultimately overcome it?
    Hmmm.....can we ask the samething about Mao Asada? She has struggled a bit lately and should we just blame it on nerves?

What about Kanako After a terrific junior career and strong senior debut season was she as good under pressure last season? Can Kanako overcome it?

Yuna was not at her best at 2010 and 2011 Worlds. Can Yuna overcome her nerves

What about Miki? She has never skated her best at the Olympics? If Miki makes it back to the Olympics can she "overcome her nerves

I have no idea how much Mao, Kanako, Yuna, Miki or Adelina are effected by nerves.

Do you.....

I agree with bigsis - think it is not just too early in Adelina's senior career - but also too early in the season to be so judgemental.
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-29-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Banned
    we had this same thread about Adelina last season, right ?

I love Adelina's skating, in fact one of my sentimental favorites but yes she needs to deal with pressure
    if not she could turn into a Carolina Kotner/Maria Butyrskaya, lovely skaters but crumbles under pressure and cant skate mostly 2 clean programs
    It took them a while before they could adjust and hold on to pressure

Custom Title
    She has the talent and ability so you have to go to some other explanation for her performances. Nerves seems like a logical place to go. She may not just have the ability to go out and win but rather be a silver medalist or bronze medalist.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    She has the talent and ability so you have to go to some other explanation for her performances. Nerves seems like a logical place to go. She may not just have the ability to go out and win but rather be a silver medalist or bronze medalist.
    How about the explanation that she has only been to a couple of senior events.

Are the expectations so high for Adelina that nothing short of winning every event she enters will make a few of her fans happy?

I can tell you now it won't happen. Mirai won this event last season with what looked like little more than a practice run through.

But it proved nothing and Mirai did not have a strong season. Adelina is looking at a long season - with 2 GP's, possibly the GPF, Natls, and possibly Euros and Worlds. That is a long season for a 16 year old.

I think it would be inexcusable to have Adelina peaking this early in the season for a senior B event.

Most likely Adelina was sent here for some feedback on her programs to be better prepared for the more important events that follow.

On another day she might have won this event by 10-15 points. But I don't see it as very important. Russian Natls will be the toughest it's been in years .

Don't you think her team wants her peaking for that and not a senior B in late September?

Where are Liza and Julia right now ? Having some "growing pains"? Most of the Russian babies are going to need time to adjust from little jumping beans to young women.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie
    Nah, way too early to declare this and particularly in a 16-year old. To me it takes several senior seasons of evidence before declaring someone a head case or someone who continually crumbles under the pressure. To me, it just looks like her body has grown up and filled out, which takes some adjustments. Injury doesn't help. While she may not have won the gold medal every time out, that expectation shouldn't have been placed on her anyway. AFAIK, she hasn't had any major meltdowns or embarrassing placements yet at international competitions, has she? What's not to like? Might be worth pointing out that the majority of the other senior ladies last year, even veterans, were also not mistake-free.
    Thanks for writing that - and every word is true, really. People could at least wait for more than 4 events before they jugde her whole senior career.

And again, where are those huge expactations coming from? 15-year-olds coming into their first senior events winning everything completly dominantly aren't exactly the norm. Declaring a girl that dominated the junior scene for one year by winning everything - even every SP and every LP - someone who just "can't go out there and win gold medals" isn't even making any sense.

For those other names mentioned - Hughes, Lipinski and Baiul wre under 6.0, and I don't really want to compare that. Naming Elizaveta as someone "who can overcome her nerves" is pretty irritating - while she did great at her first GPs, she messed up at the GPF, and couldn't get over her nerves at the possibly most important event of the season - Russian nationals. She had a worse result there than Adelina in any of her outings. And I wouldn't call Liza a headcase or whatever, she's young too, and mistakes like that are bount to happen. But her name appearing here is nothing but making things look different than they are.

So sky_fly, gmyers, which skater are you actually satisfied with?

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    The Olympics are a little less then two years away. Anything can happen!!