Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    According to Mishin, Liza is also struggling with the body changes associated with puberty--I believe he said that it's "a difficult time for a young girl." She was considerably heavier-looking at SC than she had been last year, and seemed exhausted.
    I know that, what I mean is that Liza has handled it better than Adelina despite her injury and growth issues

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I know that, what I mean is that Liza has handled it better than Adelina despite her injury and growth issues
    The thing is that everyone handles it differently. Gracie Gold, for example, had to see a sports psychologist to improve her self-confidence when she hit her growth spurt during her first season as a junior.

And is Adelina still struggling with body changes? I know that everyone is different, but I think that she's already done most of her growing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    And how many times did Yuna skate cleanly apart from Vancouver?
    Yuna rarely skated clean but she usually kept the mistakes to a minimum, with the exception of when she was clearly dealing with injuries. Plus Yu-Na has always been a SP skater. Adelina keeps making mistakes, big mistakes, in SP and FS, so the situation is not comparable to Yuna.

Also I wonder if Adelina is maybe not used to her power now that she's filled out. She's always been a great jumper, but she used to be a little string bean, and now she has muscles, and it seems like often times she struggles to control the landings of jumps that look awesome in the air due to the height and distance they cover. I do think Adelina has gone through most of her growth already, and while she still is slender, compared to how frightfully thin she was a few years ago, she has filled out quite a bit, and it's all muscle, so now her jumps that have already been big are even bigger, meaning more control is required to land them, and her center of gravity is now higher and thus it's harder to control the jumps, and as her body continues to change the center of gravity constantly shifts so it sort of makes sense she's struggling with the jumps given how massive they are. Just a thought. Liza is maybe dealing with puberty better because her jumps are small and close to the ground. Even Polina K, who is much taller than Adelina, has much smaller jumps, so despite her height and long legs, it's easier for her to control the landings. I've often wondered if Chan falls a lot because his jumps are so powerful and he throws his body into them, much like Adelina does.
    Last edited by silverlake22; 11-10-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Custom Title
    I don't think Adelina will ever be as consistent as Michelle, but if she can start skating clean in the SP (which is possible if selects a more consistent jump) she can be in position to win titles. Yes she will make a mistake or two in the LP but you really don't have to be error free to win competitions anymore. She also needs to learn to make better mistakes; a fall on a rotated triple >>> single.

I don't expect much of her this year (I don't think her programs are that great either, particularly her long), but really, it's way too early to be writing her off for the rest of her career. The girl's still a teenager, she's obviously talented, and she's got time to pull it together. How many skaters struggled with competing and consistency for years before pulling off a world or Olympic medal? People were once questioning whether Carolina Kostner, Joannie Rochette, and Paul Wylie were capable of international achievement or whether they were doomed to be eternal headcases, and that's just off the top of my head. And now, just today, Kiira Korpi had her surprising GP win after struggling with consistency for quite some time.

Plenty of things could happen between now and Sochi; the situation with all the Russian women will certainly be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    And how many times did Yuna skate cleanly apart from Vancouver?
    And how many times did Yuna ever skate so badly as to miss the podium? Adelina just did. Granted, the comparison is probably unfair, but being "declared" the Sochi Olympic Champion by the time she won Junior Worlds creates extremely high expectations and comparisons to previous champions.

She still has time to recover, but it's been over a year. It's almost December. Nationals and Worlds is just around the corner.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    And how many times did Yuna ever skate so badly as to miss the podium? Adelina just did. Granted, the comparison is probably unfair, but being "declared" the Sochi Olympic Champion by the time she won Junior Worlds creates extremely high expectations and comparisons to previous champions.

She still has time to recover, but it's been over a year. It's almost December. Nationals and Worlds is just around the corner.
    To be fair, this is the first time she's been off the podium since the 2009-2010 season (WTT too, but it was a team event, so not sure if that counts).

Custom Title
    Let's face it as the years go by we will realize just how good Yuna was even when she was only 16 and just starting her Senior career. I still think back to her debut at Worlds in 2007 in the SP. DIck Button was flabbergasted by how mature Yuna was and her speed and jumps. She was spectacular.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    I don't expect much of her this year (I don't think her programs are that great either, particularly her long), but really, it's way too early to be writing her off for the rest of her career.
    This. This is the most disappointing part of what I've been reading on this board--the fact that people consider one disastrous competition to be the conclusion of a sixteen-year-old's career. Remember two weeks ago after Skate Canada when people were saying the same thing about Gracie Gold? She proved this weekend that she's not out of contention quite yet, and while I can't make promises about Adelina's progress, I'm sure that the fighter in her will emerge to fight for a medal at Russian Nats.

Custom Title
    It's now multiple disasters not just one and she is going to be straightened out by late December? She needs a total overhaul of the flip technique if she is going to continue to do it and be consistent. All this has to happen in a month! Not writing her off forever just for the near term.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It's now multiple disasters not just one and she is going to be straightened out by late December? She needs a total overhaul of the flip technique if she is going to continue to do it and be consistent. All this has to happen in a month! Not writing her off forever just for the near term.
    The thing is that if she has to change anything,it's only her head..She really does everything on practice.3t-3t,3l-3z,3z-3t,3s-3l.....EVERYTHING!That's why I'm so mad about her choking.She is the most talented jumper:-(((

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    The thing is that if she has to change anything,it's only her head..She really does everything on practice.3t-3t,3l-3z,3z-3t,3s-3l.....EVERYTHING!That's why I'm so mad about her choking.She is the most talented jumper:-(((
    Even though she may do everything in practice, I do think her jump technique is a reason why her jumps falter in competition. All skaters have nerves, but those with better, consistent technique tend to come through in competition (but not always, given how large a role nerves can play).

Adelina has terrific spring in her jumps--the height of her double loop in her triple flip/double toe/double loop was amazing. But I think she bends down a little too much before her flip and lutz jumps, and she does this strange edge channeling before her flip, which I have to think contributes to her trouble with that jump. She also has a slight flutz. These are problems that are going to keep hampering her, but it's also possible that she puts it all together in a competition and it's enough to win. Unfortunately, it's also possible that she has the kind of implosion at Cup of Russia.

She's got gorgeous line, great variety in spins, and good basic skating, and she pays attention to the music and to performing. She's got plenty of charisma. She has all that she needs to succeed, so I hope she figures out what's wrong and doesn't lose confidence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    I am afraid the answer is simple, she is not mentally tough enough ( she needs a psyhcologist ), she could be the next coming of Maria Butyrskaya
    we may have to wait maybe a max 10 years if she is still competing before she can skate 2 clean programs ( The Maria Butyrskaya 2.0 )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I am afraid the answer is simple, she is not mentally tough enough ( she needs a psyhcologist ), she could be the next coming of Maria Butyrskaya
    we may have to wait maybe a max 10 years if she is still competing before she can skate 2 clean programs ( The Maria Butyrskaya 2.0 )
    There is really no comparison to Maria. To say Adelina is mentally weak is ridiculous; she is a child with a lot of pressure to deliver for Russia. These results hopefully will reduce expectations on her. Maria was never consistent, and she had some good results early on winning Skate Canada in her Pepto Bismol pink outfit. I think Adelina is already as consistent as Maria ever was and there is so much room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    There is really no comparison to Maria. To say Adelina is mentally weak is ridiculous; she is a child with a lot of pressure to deliver for Russia. These results hopefully will reduce expectations on her. Maria was never consistent, and she had some good results early on winning Skate Canada in her Pepto Bismol pink outfit. I think Adelina is already as consistent as Maria ever was and there is so much room for improvement.
    Agreed. I really don't know if her problems are more technical or more mental, but it's not very fair to compare her "mental toughness" so far to other Russian skaters, other prodigies her age, etc. A lot of them were never in the spotlight the way she was. There has been a lot of attention and hype about this crop of young Russian girls, how they're better than the current seniors and how they're supposed to burst onto the senior international scene and start winning everything, up the technical ante in women's skating, etc. Previously, juniors didn't have so many expectations right off the bat when they first started competing senior.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast