Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
For me, growth spurt means more than just height. She's definitely filling out as well -- she looks a lot different than she did when she won the 2011 World Junior title.

And such growth/puberty doesn't have to create complete havoc.I think Adelina has done well on physically handling growth, i.e. landing jumps. But there could be a mental component. When you're not used to your body or feel confident about it, your brain may have you do a lot of things that you don't plan.

A little story. When I was outside the hotel bar on Sunday night, I got a chance to get Adelina's autograph, she was quite friendly. But after all the fans got photos and autographs, she walked quickly away with her hoodie over her head. I don't think it's because she didn't want to deal with her fans, but more that she was your typical teenager who didn't want to be seen publicly. Sometimes we forget that these skaters are still teenagers and still dealing with their own issues with their bodies and what not.

Her twitter and instagram photos of herself posing in full makeup with her stomach bare would suggest she is comfortable with her body, recognizes she has an attractive figure, and is not afraid to show that off publicly. I don't doubt what you say about her behavior is true, but, look at her twitter and instagram pictures and you will see what I mean. Adelina does not come off as self conscious or trying to hide her changing figure.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Her twitter and instagram photos of herself posing in full makeup with her stomach bare would suggest she is comfortable with her body, recognizes she has an attractive figure, and is not afraid to show that off publicly. I don't doubt what you say about her behavior is true, but, look at her twitter and instagram pictures and you will see what I mean. Adelina does not come off as self conscious or trying to hide her changing figure.

I've seen those photos too. But what one displays on Twitter/instagram/social media doesn't always tell the whole story. Generally, you're going to post photos where you look good or you are happy. That's pretty par for the course for anyone. But I'm sure there are times, as many people do, you don't feel that great or confident. That's the body language I got from her when I saw her the other night. That said, she was a class act, smiling and willing to take photos with fans.

But comfort in one's body isn't just about looking pretty either. It's also feeling confident when you move or function. Adelina's strength is that she probably has muscle memory and a number of other things that helps her get through the jumps and maintain a host of qualities, but those lapses (i.e. the popped filp in the LP, the 2A error, etc) to me reflect the fact that her brain still figuring how her new body works.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I agree on that but Miki from the 2007 Worlds would have still beaten it by the vast difference in jump difficulty alone, and everyone on this forum knows I am far from a Miki fan, and I like Shizuka and her skating about twice as much as I do Miki, just speaking the truth.

Miki from the 2007 Worlds got 127 for a 7 triples program. No downgrades. How would she beat Shizuka by the vast difference? Back to back, she wouldn't even come close to that. She was not at the same level.
If she did what she did in 2007, both clean SP and LP with 3x3s, she would beat a cautious Shiz by at most 4 points. Had Shiz not doubled the 3loop, Miki had no chance.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Miki from the 2007 Worlds got 127 for a 7 triples program. No downgrades. How would she beat Shizuka by the vast difference? Back to back, she wouldn't even come close to that. She was not at the same level.
If she did what she did in 2007, both clean SP and LP with 3x3s, she would beat a cautious Shiz by at most 4 points. Had Shiz not doubled the 3loop, Miki had no chance.

Of course if Shizuka had done more jumps she would have beaten Miki. She is a better skater in every area apart from jumps than Miki. However the fact is Miki did a ton more jumps. A triple lutz-triple loop in the short vs a triple lutz-double toe then 7 triples including a triple lutz-triple loop in the long vs only 5 triples in the long. OK a vast difference might be overstating it, but had both skated exactly the same way it probably would have panned out exactly like the scores indicate, Miki by 4 points. It is not even relevant to any big picture topic though, and I am in no way implying Shizuka was lucky to win the 06 Olympics (well atleast nothing regarding Miki), and as it was Miki wasnt even a contender at the 06 Games or capable of skating at her 2007 level yet, so not worth debating further about really.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's an interesting point - possibly right.
But since it is 2006 Torino being discussed - we know how Miki did. That is what matters regarding Torino.

Anybody (even me ;)) can pick a performance from one year and say it would beat a performance from another year.

Before you get hysterical at being challenged - let's remember that what happened before Torino or after Torino simpy doesn't count .

Not then, not now....not ever.

Miki had her chance in Torino and also Vancouver. She might even have a chance in Sochi. But how one skater did in 2008 vs how another skater did in 2005 is basically irrelevant and goes against the whole sporting nature these competitons are supposed to represent.

Just my two cents....

Well yes I never meant to imply I think Miki should be the 2006 Olympic Champion had she skated her best there, LOL! I dont even think she was a contender at the 06 Games, and it was having much improved her spins and artistry in 2007, jumping better than ever, and having the competition of her life at Worlds in 07 that she was able to win (much more impressive than her 2011 win which was more entirely based on the really low level of skating that season). My only point was that Asada and Kim losing to her there doesnt mean one couldnt have won the 2006 Olympics had they been there. I dont think they would have been a lock, but would have been contenders, Asada moreso than Kim IMO.

Personally I hate the stupid age rules all around. I wish we had gotten to see all the best Russians at the past 2 Worlds. They would have added a great deal to rather lackluster events. I guess the ISU was mortified when Baiul and Lipinski won their gold medals and left so quickly though, but with the pro side of the sport dead the ISU doesnt have to worry about that nearly as much as they would have when they put the new age rules in place.

Country
Russia
For me, growth spurt means more than just height. She's definitely filling out as well -- she looks a lot different than she did when she won the 2011 World Junior title.
Yes. People whom I know and who sees her often tell that she is now much bigger than at 2010/11 season.

A little story. When I was outside the hotel bar on Sunday night, I got a chance to get Adelina's autograph, she was quite friendly. But after all the fans got photos and autographs, she walked quickly away with her hoodie over her head. I don't think it's because she didn't want to deal with her fans, but more that she was your typical teenager who didn't want to be seen publicly. Sometimes we forget that these skaters are still teenagers and still dealing with their own issues with their bodies and what not.
She is quite friendly with much younger than she, unknown for her skaters who want to talk with her.

It may be forgotten how young are skaters if seeing them only on ice. I know that even 8-years-old skater on ice may look as serious, almost senior skater (only with lower technical level). Not on the ice this skater is a child whose interests and behaviour are typical for his/her age.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well yes I never meant to imply I think Miki should be the 2006 Olympic Champion had she skated her best there, LOL! I dont even think she was a contender at the 06 Games, and it was having much improved her spins and artistry in 2007, jumping better than ever, and having the competition of her life at Worlds in 07 that she was able to win (much more impressive than her 2011 win which was more entirely based on the really low level of skating that season). My only point was that Asada and Kim losing to her there doesnt mean one couldnt have won the 2006 Olympics had they been there. I dont think they would have been a lock, but would have been contenders, Asada moreso than Kim IMO.

Personally I hate the stupid age rules all around. I wish we had gotten to see all the best Russians at the past 2 Worlds. They would have added a great deal to rather lackluster events. I guess the ISU was mortified when Baiul and Lipinski won their gold medals and left so quickly though, but with the pro side of the sport dead the ISU doesnt have to worry about that nearly as much as they would have when they put the new age rules in place.

Interesting points about age restrictions and the pro side of skating! I wonder how much this is accurate. Like if Lipinski won and did do pro longer but because she grew after she won and saw no point to continue because she already had all the success. Is that bad for pro. So after they go through the growth spurts and during they still try to do well and compete and win but if that has already happened if you look at Lipinski they just stop. Lipinski also had all the hip issues as well. But also look at Baiul - I think it was the same with her but baiul lasted longer I think that Lipinski. Post figures the age went way down for olympic victory twice but went up with 2006. 1998 to 2002 was I think 14 to 16.

Look at Adelina. It's not that growth has made flips impossible they are just so inconsistent. single flip in sp, split in free skate with landed and rotated and fell. But if that incosistency is because of mental issues related to growth maybe it will improve or she is just inconsistent.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Look at Adelina. It's not that growth has made flips impossible they are just so inconsistent. single flip in sp, split in free skate with landed and rotated and fell. But if that incosistency is because of mental issues related to growth maybe it will improve or she is just inconsistent.

Her flip really is so tentative, I think it is going to be an inconsistent jump for her unless she can carry more speed into it. Her other jumps look much better, aside from maybe the edge on the lutz. But I supposed the flip must be relatively consistent in practice because it's the jump she chose as her solo jump in the SP, and does it twice in the LP.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adelina's time might be in 2018. She will only be 21 and might have developed into the skater everyone seems to think she can be. Just looked at Wagner at 16,17 she was nowhere near the top skaters in the world but hit her peak at a later age. Each skater peaks at different times so just because she might be not be a strong favorite going into Sochi doesn't mean she will never be a great skater.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Interesting points about age restrictions and the pro side of skating! I wonder how much this is accurate. Like if Lipinski won and did do pro longer but because she grew after she won and saw no point to continue because she already had all the success. Is that bad for pro. So after they go through the growth spurts and during they still try to do well and compete and win but if that has already happened if you look at Lipinski they just stop. Lipinski also had all the hip issues as well. But also look at Baiul - I think it was the same with her but baiul lasted longer I think that Lipinski. Post figures the age went way down for olympic victory twice but went up with 2006. 1998 to 2002 was I think 14 to 16.

I think the flip is problematic because of a bit of a mule kick I don't know if that has always been her technique ,or if it is a new thing related to growth.

russell30

Final Flight
Just seen Adelina compete at Skate America, I think she performed really well, there is some inconsistency probably due to nerves but Adelina is getting better and better and if she sticks with Tats and Elena she will be a leading contender going into Sochi or even the leading lady from Russia - she is the complete package, her difficult camel spin is a joy to watch. Adelina's programs are very nice this year especially Burlesque.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Single flip in a sp again. She needs to stop with the flip already. There are other jumps. If it's a physical thing. Or a mental thing she just needs to stop it for a while. Enough single flips. It's quite ridiculous.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Sotnikova has not skated a clean program in any competition in 18 months. I think therefore that we can say conclusively that she is someone who simply cannot handle pressure at the senior level. I cannot see her being a factor at world or Olympic level as she will invariably choke when the pressure is on and in the crunch moments. Gracie Gold showed today what differentiates champions from the rest - guts, determination, courage, fight, and an ability to come back from adversity. Gold was in terrible form at Skate Canada, but within a couple weeks she has managed to turn it all around. Many congratulations to her.

Last edited:

Cherryy

On the Ice
Sotnikova has not skated a clean program in any competition in 18 months. I think therefore that we can say conclusively that she is someone who simply cannot handle pressure at the senior level. I cannot see her ever being a factor at world or Olympic level, because she always choke when the pressure is on and in the crunch moments.

And how many times did Yuna skate cleanly apart from Vancouver? :)

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Sotnikova has not skated a clean program in any competition in 18 months. I think therefore that we can say conclusively that she is someone who simply cannot handle pressure at the senior level. I cannot see her being a factor at world or Olympic level as she will invariably choke when the pressure is on and in the crunch moments. Gracie Gold showed today what differentiates champions from the rest - guts, determination, courage, fight, and an ability to come back from adversity. Gold was in terrible form at Skate Canada, but within a couple weeks she has managed to turn it all around. Many congratulations to her.

Yes, wow. Gracie has managed to skate one entirely clean short program. What a total turnaround. How totally obvious that she will now skate clean forever and ever.

I want to be clear that I like Gracie lots and nothing would make me happier than if she now is as consistent as anyone has ever been. But one clean program does not 'turning ti all around' make. Nor was she really in SUCH dire straights before this one program that I would call this 'turning it all around.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Adelina is a bit perplexing. The flip is obviously one of the jumps she does well in practice because she plans 1 in the SP and 2 in the LP. I haven't seen her COR SP but I've noticed she enters the jump quite tentatively in her programs. I still think she will sort herself out towards the end of the season because, aside from the hiccups on the jumps, everything she does is world class. Her difficulty and execution of elements (when clean) is as good as anyone.

Mao88

Record Breaker
But one clean program does not 'turning ti all around' make.

Its 1 more than Sotnikova has managed in the last 18 months. And Gracie has skated quite a few other clean programs during that period as well.

Sotnikova has so much talent. It really is so frustrating that she cannot pull it all together. If she ever does, I will be ecstatic!

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

This. I made this conclusion at SA, Adelina as I like to call her The Maria Butyrskaya 2.0, Skaters that cannot skate 2 clean programs
Gracie has fighting spirit even Liza who had low SP score was fighting back in the LP, I'm not saying Adelina will not be a champion but for me she is a late bloomer type,
she has nerve issues and needs a Psychologist, She might not even make the Olympic team, It could be Julia and Liza/Alena and No Adelina.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I will continue to stand on my view that Adelina's errors are not mental, but physical. She does not look nervous. She skates confidently in practice. I really think her body has not caught up to the fact that it needs to do triple jumps. When she pops the jump or falls on one, she kind of has a "Why did I do that?" look. Not as in "oh that was so stupid, why did I make that mistake?" but "I don't get why I made that mistake..."