Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Do you know, that Plushy missed the podium one time- in 2000 WCH, he was 4th- since 1998, when he has debuted in senior comepetitions, and he was 15 y.o.?
Except 2000, he was two times 3th in 1998, and after he has never been worse than 2th in major competitons...:eek:

I did think of Plushy's amazing competitive record but since we were talking about Ladies I didn't bring him up.

I guess Sonja always won (oops - at age 12 she came in dead last at her first Olympics) - - but that is a much different era. Button too had an impressive streak.

In recent times I think Scott Hamilton had a pretty good streak - like 4 years without a loss. But also a different era without GP events, 4CC.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Do you know, that Plushy missed the podium one time- in 2000 WCH, he was 4th- since 1998, when he has debuted in senior comepetitions, and he was 15 y.o.?
Except 2000, he was two times 3th in 1998, since 1999 he has never been worse than 2th(in total he was only 6 times) in any competitons...:eek:

Oh dear, how dare he! It is really disappointment that Plushy was 4th in a competition, and twice third! Can he overcome his nerves? Oh, wait, it seems that he did overcome the nerves.... oh well, we will forgive him then.

janetfan

Match Penalty
What is Kwan's record - 8 straight years of making the Worlds podium, winning it 5 times? Plus two Olympic podiums in that same period?

A streak like this might never be seen again.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
What is Kwan's record - 8 straight years of making the Worlds podium, winning it 5 times? Plus two Olympic podiums in that same period?

A streak like this might never be seen again.
If we talk about Ice Dancing, I think Grishuk-Platov's record is unbreakable: from 1994 when they won the Olympics 'till their retirement in 1998, they have always been first in every competition they entered, with 17 consecutive gold medals! But I think Yu-Na remains the only female skater in the last 50 years who have never finished off the podium in her entire career! Adelina is obviously different, every skater has his/her own personality and we can't blame her because of this, she is just 16 and she has plenty of time to mature psychologically!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Give her a break; she is young. Let her grow; Osmond did well but the question now will Osmond be able to handle the pressure of being in Canada searching for a female hero?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Based on some previous posts I wanted to echo that sure it was Sotnikova's first compeition of the season and she has a long season ahead of her and could improve and do great but this performance does look a lot like all her performances at all stages of the season last season. A clean performance is not necessary to win but it would be nice if she gave one and because she can rarely ever win an event it seems to be what she needs to win. So I don't know what any problem could be but at her first GP event in a few weeks I will totally reserve judging her and just her performance. Like at Nebelhorn somethiing happened where a three jump combo was not done even when it could have been and that may not be repeated. The singling of a jump when a triple was done of that jump earlier happens. She lost Nebelhorn because of it but maybe at the GP event that wont happen and if it did maybe it wouldn't prevent vicotry.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
http://deu-event.de/results/Nebelhorn_2012/NT2012_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

And actually Adelina didn't get an edge call - one of the things I was really happy about! :)

Edit:
I didn't realize that before - Osmond got a Lv 4 on her steps! While I really thought that part of her programm was nice, I wouldn't have expected it to be Lv 4. The only thing that irks me a little is that the girls are tied in PCS. I'd have expected Adelina to win that.
That said, Kaetlyn deserved to win the LP and overall no doubt. She looks like a powerful skater and great perfomer :)

Yeah, the level four was surprising. Given that her solo triple toe was only UR'd and not DG'd, it seems the tech panel was relatively easily. I doubt she'll get a level four with a tougher panel.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Skate america was a terrible collapse from nebelhorn! She needs more help.

Was Nelberhorn supposably great? She lost to Osmond there. I think she is overrated personally. Julia L. and Elizaveta T. are both superior skaters and will be bigger threats for Sochi than she will be.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She desperately needs a new LP. Aguilera's scatting for the duration of the program has got to turn off some of the judges.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
no,she can't.I'm not even sure that she is the one to send to Sochi.She'd probably faint from stress.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
no,she can't.I'm not even sure that she is the one to send to Sochi.She'd probably faint from stress.

I think Julia L. and Elizaveta T. will definitely be on the Sochi team and Sotnikova, Leonova, and some others are fighting for the 3rd spot.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Was Nelberhorn supposably great? She lost to Osmond there. I think she is overrated personally. Julia L. and Elizaveta T. are both superior skaters and will be bigger threats for Sochi than she will be.

No I am saying she did even worse here than at nebelhorn and she was supposed to do better but collapsed. Losing to Osmond and losing to Gao just means sotnikova doesn't have the ability to win or do even well. She is just a total non factor losing to Osmond and Gao.

bekalc

Record Breaker
No I am saying she did even worse here than at nebelhorn and she was supposed to do better but collapsed. Losing to Osmond and losing to Gao just means sotnikova doesn't have the ability to win or do even well. She is just a total non factor losing to Osmond and Gao.

I thought she did better here. She landed a 3lutz/3toe and a 3flip...I think its more than a bit ridiculous to say Sotnikova can't win...She's getting use to her new body in a lot of ways. Her jumps are getting more and more solid from what I can see...

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

Completely agree...

bekalc

Record Breaker
Completely agree...

I find it hilarious writing off a 16 year old. Who is dealing with tons of expectations, growth spurts because she's not perfect right out of the gate. Not everyone is. Everyone's writing her obituary a little early.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I thought she did better here. She landed a 3lutz/3toe and a 3flip...I think its more than a bit ridiculous to say Sotnikova can't win...She's getting use to her new body in a lot of ways. Her jumps are getting more and more solid from what I can see...

I am judging both on placement - second to third and a popped flip in the sp -the fall - the zayaking- 2a problem. She is one of the most high level messes currently skating! She is like Kostner pre 2010. Maybe in 5 years or so she will be good.

Mao88

Record Breaker

I agree, and I think we have seen enough over the last year to conclude that it's going to be a very difficult problem to rectify. When it comes to having the ability to cope with pressure and the nerve to win, people either have it or they don't. She doesn't. It's as plain and simple as that. Consequently, I think it unlikely she will ever achieve much at the top level, as she will always probably choke during the key moments. I certainly cannot see her ever becoming a world or Olympic champion.

Katarina Witt had nerves of steel. That was what made her winner. Sotnikova is the complete opposite.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I am judging both on placement - second to third and a popped flip in the sp -the fall - the zayaking- 2a problem. She is one of the most high level messes currently skating! She is like Kostner pre 2010. Maybe in 5 years or so she will be good.

Kostner pre 2010? She had one fall here, landed some high level stuff including by far the toughest combination there. Kostner use to fall multiple times.

As for placement, last time I checked the skating her was better. Does she have to start landing her jumps-yes. But I see someone whose jumps are getting more and more stable.

I agree, and I think we have seen enough over the last year to conclude that it's going to be very difficult to rectify. When it comes to having the ability to cope with pressure, people either have it or they don't. She doesn't. It's as plain and simple as that. Consequently, I think it unlikely she will ever achieve much at the top level, as she will always probably choke during the key moments. I certainly cannot see her ever becoming a world or Olympic champion.

If Adelina was completely unable to handle pressure she wouldn't be a 3 time Russian National champ, nor would she be a World Junior Champ. She's dealt with body changes and also some ridiculous amounts of expectations. I recall Mao doing well as a baby Junior in the grand Prix and then bombing skate America. Some people are perfect right away some take time to gell...I think her performances are slowly improving. This was better than the skates she put off in Nelbhorn or last year..

Last edited: