Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I find it hilarious writing off a 16 year old. Who is dealing with tons of expectations, growth spurts because she's not perfect right out of the gate. Not everyone is. Everyone's writing her obituary a little early.

She is not the only talent we have now!Nobody expects much from her - just to skate clean for ONCE!It's annoying as hell having her talent((She is my favourite Rus girl and she can't cope with her nerves:cry::cry::cry:

bekalc

Record Breaker
She is not the only talent we have now!Nobody expects much from her - just to skate clean for ONCE!It's annoying as hell having her talent((She is my favourite Rus girl and she can't cope with her nerves:cry::cry::cry:

She has tons of expectations. Piseev in an interview was pretty clear that he thinks Sotnikova is their best one (commenting on how she has everything) Her face was plastered everywhere in the lead up to Cup of Russia. And then there's body/puberty changes. Its hard when your body changes you've grown and what worked before doesn't work. Give her a chance to get use to this level, the pressure of it. Its not like this was a Polina K disaster. She had some good stuff in there and a lot of triples. She did something Gao and Wagner did not do which was a difficult 3/3 which probably will be needed in Sochi.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree the gold medalist, maybe even all 3 medalists, in Sochi will need a difficult 3/3. Those who dont have a secure one now like Wagner and Asada had better start working hard on it. Kostner will need both a 3/3 and a triple lutz if she is planning on Sochi podium. I think that is one reason Ando is bailing on her comeback and in all likelihood wont show except a cheese event like Japan Open maybe to end her career. She hasnt done a ratified 3/3 in years and there is no way her 5 or 6 triple/triple less and no triple flip programs from 2011 will ever cut it again as the womens field strengthens intself again heading to Sochi.

Lucky Star

Final Flight

I do expect much from Adelina, because she is an all around skater more than our other young stars (and she is 3 times National champion too), she has the biggest jumps and the best skating skills and lines among them. Adelina is slowly getting it together and I'm sure she will surprize us this season. 3Lz-3T was very nice! Writing such a talent off is way too early, IMO

janetfan

Match Penalty

After watching Sasha and Alissa for years - Adelina is not hard for me to handle or root for.
I think Adelina is a wonderful skater who also never misses the podium.

I hope she is adjusted to her new size by the end of the season.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
How many women are there now who hypothetically could have a shot at the 2014 Oly Gold, not just a medal but the gold medal? Kim, Asada, Elizaveta T., Julia L, Adelina S. Wagner, Gold, Kostner. That makes 8, are there any others. I dont know if there ever has been that many in history. Then ones who would have a shot at a medal but not the gold would be the 2nd and 3rd Japanese (probably Suzuki and Murakami), the #3 U.S lady, and possibly 1 or 2 others.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some of those skaters might not even make their Olympic team in 2014. On the other hand someone like Kostner probably doesn't have to skate in her countries Nationals to make their Olympic team since there is very little competition.

guanchi

On the Ice
How many women are there now who hypothetically could have a shot at the 2014 Oly Gold, not just a medal but the gold medal? Kim, Asada, Elizaveta T., Julia L, Adelina S. Wagner, Gold, Kostner. That makes 8, are there any others. I dont know if there ever has been that many in history. Then ones who would have a shot at a medal but not the gold would be the 2nd and 3rd Japanese (probably Suzuki and Murakami), the #3 U.S lady, and possibly 1 or 2 others.

Out of those 8, 5 probably possess a difficult 3-3 combo (Asada, Wagner, and Kostner prolly not). Out of those 5, if assuming the winner will be one with a hard 3-3, I'd say Gold has shown good consistency with them and her artistry is improving (her hideaway sp is not bad as some people say). Julia, I'm not a big fan as she is still young and juniorish. Adelina is prolly the best all-around Russian, and I think will overcome any growth, injury issues to remain on the podium (I believe she got a 3lz-3t with no edge call). Liza is maturing into her own style with better ice coverage, and might be the most consistent Russian in terms of jumps. The question is Yuna, if she still has her big 3-3 and if she can get back into competition shape with good coaching, plus overcoming any motivation issues.
Asada may land her 3a again, but may not, and might be hurt without a big 3-3 and edge issues on a lutz, for example.
Wagner delivers solid, but not spectacular performances. I think the judges will want a skater with an exceptional quality, not just spunk.
Kostner, imo, has already peaked. Her artistry and basic skating is still there, but any big jump combos may be gone.
If the podium will consist of Kim, Sotnikova, Tukt, or Gold, I'd prolly eliminate Gold 1st. She has the tech allright, but something is not there yet.
Then out of the final 3, hmm...after a lot of contemplating...I will pick Eliza T. Yep, the tiny little Mishin protege will strike gold in Sochi and capture people's hearts. So- 1. Eliza T 2. Yuna Kim 3. Adelina S. Not a betting man, though :p

mary01

Final Flight
Out of those 8, 5 probably possess a difficult 3-3 combo (Asada, Wagner, and Kostner prolly not). Out of those 5, if assuming the winner will be one with a hard 3-3, I'd say Gold has shown good consistency with them and her artistry is improving (her hideaway sp is not bad as some people say). Julia, I'm not a big fan as she is still young and juniorish. Adelina is prolly the best all-around Russian, and I think will overcome any growth, injury issues to remain on the podium (I believe she got a 3lz-3t with no edge call). Liza is maturing into her own style with better ice coverage, and might be the most consistent Russian in terms of jumps. The question is Yuna, if she still has her big 3-3 and if she can get back into competition shape with good coaching, plus overcoming any motivation issues.
Asada may land her 3a again, but may not, and might be hurt without a big 3-3 and edge issues on a lutz, for example.
Wagner delivers solid, but not spectacular performances. I think the judges will want a skater with an exceptional quality, not just spunk.
Kostner, imo, has already peaked. Her artistry and basic skating is still there, but any big jump combos may be gone.
If the podium will consist of Kim, Sotnikova, Tukt, or Gold, I'd prolly eliminate Gold 1st. She has the tech allright, but something is not there yet.
Then out of the final 3, hmm...after a lot of contemplating...I will pick Eliza T. Yep, the tiny little Mishin protege will strike gold in Sochi and capture people's hearts. So- 1. Eliza T 2. Yuna Kim 3. Adelina S. Not a betting man, though :p

you seriously think that Mao Asada won't be including a 3A or 3-3 at the olympics?? if soo i doubt we are talking about the same skater!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Almost 9 points.

Interesting - and let's not forget the missed flip in the SP and LP.

It seems pretty sure the judges like Adelina's qualities/assets and if she had skated clean she would have won (or been very close to winning).

But it seems to be a cause for concern particularly with some of the Russian posters.

It is hard to compare some of the younger skaters with the veterans. Last season Liza seemed unbeatable until she was soundly beaten at the GPF. On top of that she was not in good enough shape to skate at JR Worlds after a long season.

Adelina has gone through a considerable growth spurt and just turned 16 a few months ago.
She is still just a kid and adjusting to the her new body and the senior circuit.

I admit I am a big fan of Adelina and don't feel overly concerned at the moment. This season is to stabilize and hopefully begin to establish the type of reputation the CoP rewards so richly.

The thing to consider at times with younger skaters - even all skaters - is their potential. If a younger Rachael had made the mistakes Adelina made at SA she would be nowhere near the podium. Even when Rachael skated clean at big Intl competitions she was still a gazillion points behind the champion.

That's not the case with Adelina - who has the quality and assets to compete with the world's best.

Lots of fans said Mao or Yuna could have won the Torino Olympics - but look what happened the following season. They were both beaten at Worlds by Miki.

Who knows what will happen in the future but I think Adelina is a truly gifted skater. Barring injuries I have no doubt her day will come.

Will it be in time for Sochi? That I can't predict but for now I am enjoying the process of seeing her go from an astounding child prodigy to a lovely young skater struggling at times to find her best.

Real fans have real faith...... and sometimes it is the journey that is just as fascinating as the results.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Interesting - and let's not forget the missed flip in the SP and LP.

It seems pretty sure the judges like Adelina's qualities/assets and if she had skated clean she would have won (or been very close to winning).

But it seems to be a cause for concern particularly with some of the Russian posters.

It is hard to compare some of the younger skaters with the veterans. Last season Liza seemed unbeatable until she was soundly beaten at the GPF. On top of that she was not in good enough shape to skate at JR Worlds after a long season.

Adelina has gone through a considerable growth spurt and just turned 16 a few months ago.
She is still just a kid and adjusting to the her new body and the senior circuit.

I admit I am a big fan of Adelina and don't feel overly concerned at the moment. This season is to stabilize and hopefully begin to establish the type of reputation the CoP rewards so richly.

The thing to consider at times with younger skaters - even all skaters - is their potential. If a younger Rachael had made the mistakes Adelina made at SA she would be nowhere near the podium. Even when Rachael skated clean at big Intl competitions she was still a gazillion points behind the champion.

That's not the case with Adelina - who has the quality and assets to compete with the world's best.

Lots of fans said Mao or Yuna could have won the Torino Olympics - but look what happened the following season. They were both beaten at Worlds by Miki.

Who knows what will happen in the future but I think Adelina is a truly gifted skater. Barring injuries I have no doubt her day will come.

Will it be in time for Sochi? That I can't predict but for now I am enjoying the process of seeing her go from an astounding child prodigy to a lovely young skater struggling at times to find her best.

Real fans have real faith...... and sometimes it is the journey that is just as fascinating as the results.
:agree::yes:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am judging both on placement - second to third and a popped flip in the sp -the fall - the zayaking- 2a problem. She is one of the most high level messes currently skating! She is like Kostner pre 2010. Maybe in 5 years or so she will be good.

I gave her 2 seasons but I gave up on Adelina after her Skate America results, I agree she will be a non factor , I don't think she will even be in Sochi
losing to Osmond and now Gao ? lol but she could be a Maria Butyrskaya/Craolina Kostner, an unstable skater that will have her career peak she she will be 25 years old or older..

janetfan

Match Penalty
:agree::yes:

Thanks - and I could use the great Carolina Kostner as a prime example. I could also use Akiko and Alissa as an example of skaters who did not show their best until they were well into their 20's.

Racing is cool - but that feels more like "speed skating" to me.

Sometimes I wonder if ISU (and quite a few fans) even know the difference :think:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I gave her 2 seasons but I gave up on Adelina after her Skate America results, I agree she will be a non factor , I don't think she will even be in Sochi

Wow - I am very impressed by your generosity :yes:

So going back to when Adelina was what - 13 or 14 "you gave her two seasons" :rolleye:

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
losing to Osmond and now Gao ? lol but she could be a Maria Butyrskaya/Craolina Kostner, an unstable skater that will have her career peak she she will be 25 years old or older..

Seriously? So you don't see any improvements in her skating compared to last season? She really attacked her LP in Skate America, landed a clean 3Lz-3T, tried to get as many points as possible by adding an extra combo, didn't gave up after the fall. And what is more important, she doesn't look as a scared Bambi on ice. She had a nice attitude in her SP and looked more relaxed in the LP than I have ever seen her. Some skaters have their debut in a striking way, like Liza did last season. Some need some time to adjust and to build confidence. We don't have to compare her with Mao or Yuna, she may achieve their results some day or not. Neither Ashley or Cristina achieved what Adelina did at 16 years old. It's not results that matter right now for her. She needs confidence and stability. I believe she will get her act together some day soon.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wow - I am very impressed by your generosity :yes:

So going back to when Adelina was what - 13 or 14 "you gave her two seasons" :rofl:

It's really hard to root for inconsistent skaters, maybe Adelina can finally reach her peak in her late 20's if she stays that long
I already said she could be a Carolina/Maria Butyrskaya type of skater, so I'm not saying she is a complete failure

Consistency is what makes winners, no matter how beautiful your skating is but you cant land jumps or handle pressures
you will never be a true champion ask Alissa or Sasha Cohen . atm Adelina just doesn't have nerves of steel. she could improve but that might take some time

seniorita

Record Breaker
Adelina is just 16, she has a long career and there are a lot of great things about her skating, I dont believe why someone would write her off, she is on the podium in every competition she enters, she is not winning everything, but I bet many ladies would want to be in the top 3 in every competition.
Wagner had her rough years, Kostner had her bad years, Adelina has a very strong competition even inside Russia, I think she will only improve from now on.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Adelina is just 16, she has a long career and there are a lot of great things about her skating, I dont believe why someone would write her off, she is on the podium in every competition she enters, she is not winning everything, but I bet many ladies would want to be in the top 3 in every competition.
Wagner had her rough years, Kostner had her bad years, Adelina has a very strong competition even inside Russia, I think she will only improve from now on.

I consider her even though she gets on almost every podium as failures, considering her skating ability, you would know that had she made not all those silly mistakes, she would not be behind all those other skaters, yes Adelina is very talented but its her being inconsistent that is a letdown for me .