Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure?

She is 16, and it was her first competiton in this season. Wait! This question will be apposite two years time, I think.

Custom Title
    Osmond deserved the win, but unlike Adelina, this isn't her first competition of the season.

I am really impressed by the improvements in Adelina's skating, in terms of power, smoothness and interpretation this year. I think that if she can keep it together, she should do very well. She has it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    , Adelina's performance at last year's senior GP circuit and Junior Worlds was pretty bad. (Though she did match them in going undefeated in her final junior year of 2010-2011.) It's the trend and continuation from last season that's worrying---not this one early-season competition that by itself could be dismissed as a fluke. There's nothing sudden about these growing doubts.

Yuna lost her first two WC 's because she fell down a few times. She lost the GP event in Korea - was it nerves?
    By her high standards Yuna bombed her SA LP at Lake Placid and was beaten by Flatt in the LP. Yuna afterwards admitted it was nerves.

She also lost Wolrds in 2010 and 2011 because she fell and made other mistakes.

There can be circumstances that effect skaters - injuries, growth spurts, new programs, exhaustion, not enough training time, etc.

After looking into the scoring it seems fair to say Adelina gave away a minor senior B title she could have won.

How is that any different than all of the times we saw Yuna give away titles she could have won?

Yuna is a great champion. Adelina may become a great champion. So far Adelina has shown she is a beautiful skater who like Yuna never misses a podium.

Neither girl won everytime she competed. If you want to compare Yuna to Adelina atleast be fair in your comparisons.

BTW, Adelina was a year younger than Yuna when she skated her first senior GP season.

Anyway, nobody wins all the time. I think skaters who always make the podium are showing exceptional qualities and abilty.
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-30-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Custom Title
    Isn't it nice that we are now talking about some of the younger skaters like Adelina and Kaetlyn? I have a feeling the new kids are going to shake up the skating world this year. Maybe not win everything in sight but makes the older skaters realize that now begins the sprint to Sochi. Thank God Worlds won't be just about skaters we've been watching for 6-7 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post

Anyway, nobody wins all the time. I think skaters who always make the podium are showing exceptional qualities and abilty.
    Do you know, that Plushy missed the podium one time- in 2000 WCH, he was 4th- since 1998, when he has debuted in senior comepetitions, and he was 15 y.o.?
    Except 2000, he was two times 3th in 1998, since 1999 he has never been worse than 2th(in total he was only 6 times) in any competitons...
    Last edited by plushyfan; 09-30-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Do you know, that Plushy missed the podium one time- in 2000 WCH, he was 4th- since 1998, when he has debuted in senior comepetitions, and he was 15 y.o.?
    Except 2000, he was two times 3th in 1998, and after he has never been worse than 2th in major competitons...
    I did think of Plushy's amazing competitive record but since we were talking about Ladies I didn't bring him up.

I guess Sonja always won (oops - at age 12 she came in dead last at her first Olympics) - - but that is a much different era. Button too had an impressive streak.

In recent times I think Scott Hamilton had a pretty good streak - like 4 years without a loss. But also a different era without GP events, 4CC.
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-30-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Except 2000, he was two times 3th in 1998, since 1999 he has never been worse than 2th(in total he was only 6 times) in any competitons...
    Oh dear, how dare he! It is really disappointment that Plushy was 4th in a competition, and twice third! Can he overcome his nerves? Oh, wait, it seems that he did overcome the nerves.... oh well, we will forgive him then.

What is Kwan's record - 8 straight years of making the Worlds podium, winning it 5 times? Plus two Olympic podiums in that same period?

A streak like this might never be seen again.

What is Kwan's record - 8 straight years of making the Worlds podium, winning it 5 times? Plus two Olympic podiums in that same period?

A streak like this might never be seen again.
    If we talk about Ice Dancing, I think Grishuk-Platov's record is unbreakable: from 1994 when they won the Olympics 'till their retirement in 1998, they have always been first in every competition they entered, with 17 consecutive gold medals! But I think Yu-Na remains the only female skater in the last 50 years who have never finished off the podium in her entire career! Adelina is obviously different, every skater has his/her own personality and we can't blame her because of this, she is just 16 and she has plenty of time to mature psychologically!

I did think of Plushy's amazing competitive record but since we were talking about Ladies I didn't bring him up.
    Of course, of course...

Custom Title
    Give her a break; she is young. Let her grow; Osmond did well but the question now will Osmond be able to handle the pressure of being in Canada searching for a female hero?

Custom Title
    Based on some previous posts I wanted to echo that sure it was Sotnikova's first compeition of the season and she has a long season ahead of her and could improve and do great but this performance does look a lot like all her performances at all stages of the season last season. A clean performance is not necessary to win but it would be nice if she gave one and because she can rarely ever win an event it seems to be what she needs to win. So I don't know what any problem could be but at her first GP event in a few weeks I will totally reserve judging her and just her performance. Like at Nebelhorn somethiing happened where a three jump combo was not done even when it could have been and that may not be repeated. The singling of a jump when a triple was done of that jump earlier happens. She lost Nebelhorn because of it but maybe at the GP event that wont happen and if it did maybe it wouldn't prevent vicotry.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    http://deu-event.de/results/Nebelhor..._FS_Scores.pdf

And actually Adelina didn't get an edge call - one of the things I was really happy about!

Edit:
    I didn't realize that before - Osmond got a Lv 4 on her steps! While I really thought that part of her programm was nice, I wouldn't have expected it to be Lv 4. The only thing that irks me a little is that the girls are tied in PCS. I'd have expected Adelina to win that.
    That said, Kaetlyn deserved to win the LP and overall no doubt. She looks like a powerful skater and great perfomer
    Yeah, the level four was surprising. Given that her solo triple toe was only UR'd and not DG'd, it seems the tech panel was relatively easily. I doubt she'll get a level four with a tougher panel.

Custom Title
    Skate america was a terrible collapse from nebelhorn! She needs more help.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Skate america was a terrible collapse from nebelhorn! She needs more help.
    Was Nelberhorn supposably great? She lost to Osmond there. I think she is overrated personally. Julia L. and Elizaveta T. are both superior skaters and will be bigger threats for Sochi than she will be.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast