Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Can Sotnikova overcome the pressure?

Custom Title
    She desperately needs a new LP. Aguilera's scatting for the duration of the program has got to turn off some of the judges.

Custom Title
    no,she can't.I'm not even sure that she is the one to send to Sochi.She'd probably faint from stress.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    no,she can't.I'm not even sure that she is the one to send to Sochi.She'd probably faint from stress.
    I think Julia L. and Elizaveta T. will definitely be on the Sochi team and Sotnikova, Leonova, and some others are fighting for the 3rd spot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Was Nelberhorn supposably great? She lost to Osmond there. I think she is overrated personally. Julia L. and Elizaveta T. are both superior skaters and will be bigger threats for Sochi than she will be.
    No I am saying she did even worse here than at nebelhorn and she was supposed to do better but collapsed. Losing to Osmond and losing to Gao just means sotnikova doesn't have the ability to win or do even well. She is just a total non factor losing to Osmond and Gao.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    No I am saying she did even worse here than at nebelhorn and she was supposed to do better but collapsed. Losing to Osmond and losing to Gao just means sotnikova doesn't have the ability to win or do even well. She is just a total non factor losing to Osmond and Gao.
    I thought she did better here. She landed a 3lutz/3toe and a 3flip...I think its more than a bit ridiculous to say Sotnikova can't win...She's getting use to her new body in a lot of ways. Her jumps are getting more and more solid from what I can see...

Custom Title
    Completely agree...

Completely agree...
    I find it hilarious writing off a 16 year old. Who is dealing with tons of expectations, growth spurts because she's not perfect right out of the gate. Not everyone is. Everyone's writing her obituary a little early.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I thought she did better here. She landed a 3lutz/3toe and a 3flip...I think its more than a bit ridiculous to say Sotnikova can't win...She's getting use to her new body in a lot of ways. Her jumps are getting more and more solid from what I can see...
    I am judging both on placement - second to third and a popped flip in the sp -the fall - the zayaking- 2a problem. She is one of the most high level messes currently skating! She is like Kostner pre 2010. Maybe in 5 years or so she will be good.

Custom Title
    I agree, and I think we have seen enough over the last year to conclude that it's going to be a very difficult problem to rectify. When it comes to having the ability to cope with pressure and the nerve to win, people either have it or they don't. She doesn't. It's as plain and simple as that. Consequently, I think it unlikely she will ever achieve much at the top level, as she will always probably choke during the key moments. I certainly cannot see her ever becoming a world or Olympic champion.

Katarina Witt had nerves of steel. That was what made her winner. Sotnikova is the complete opposite.
    Last edited by Mao88; 10-21-2012 at 05:18 PM.

I am judging both on placement - second to third and a popped flip in the sp -the fall - the zayaking- 2a problem. She is one of the most high level messes currently skating! She is like Kostner pre 2010. Maybe in 5 years or so she will be good.
    Kostner pre 2010? She had one fall here, landed some high level stuff including by far the toughest combination there. Kostner use to fall multiple times.

As for placement, last time I checked the skating her was better. Does she have to start landing her jumps-yes. But I see someone whose jumps are getting more and more stable.

I agree, and I think we have seen enough over the last year to conclude that it's going to be very difficult to rectify. When it comes to having the ability to cope with pressure, people either have it or they don't. She doesn't. It's as plain and simple as that. Consequently, I think it unlikely she will ever achieve much at the top level, as she will always probably choke during the key moments. I certainly cannot see her ever becoming a world or Olympic champion.
    If Adelina was completely unable to handle pressure she wouldn't be a 3 time Russian National champ, nor would she be a World Junior Champ. She's dealt with body changes and also some ridiculous amounts of expectations. I recall Mao doing well as a baby Junior in the grand Prix and then bombing skate America. Some people are perfect right away some take time to gell...I think her performances are slowly improving. This was better than the skates she put off in Nelbhorn or last year..
    Last edited by bekalc; 10-21-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I find it hilarious writing off a 16 year old. Who is dealing with tons of expectations, growth spurts because she's not perfect right out of the gate. Not everyone is. Everyone's writing her obituary a little early.
    She is not the only talent we have now!Nobody expects much from her - just to skate clean for ONCE!It's annoying as hell having her talent((She is my favourite Rus girl and she can't cope with her nerves

She is not the only talent we have now!Nobody expects much from her - just to skate clean for ONCE!It's annoying as hell having her talent((She is my favourite Rus girl and she can't cope with her nerves
    She has tons of expectations. Piseev in an interview was pretty clear that he thinks Sotnikova is their best one (commenting on how she has everything) Her face was plastered everywhere in the lead up to Cup of Russia. And then there's body/puberty changes. Its hard when your body changes you've grown and what worked before doesn't work. Give her a chance to get use to this level, the pressure of it. Its not like this was a Polina K disaster. She had some good stuff in there and a lot of triples. She did something Gao and Wagner did not do which was a difficult 3/3 which probably will be needed in Sochi.

Banned
    I agree the gold medalist, maybe even all 3 medalists, in Sochi will need a difficult 3/3. Those who dont have a secure one now like Wagner and Asada had better start working hard on it. Kostner will need both a 3/3 and a triple lutz if she is planning on Sochi podium. I think that is one reason Ando is bailing on her comeback and in all likelihood wont show except a cheese event like Japan Open maybe to end her career. She hasnt done a ratified 3/3 in years and there is no way her 5 or 6 triple/triple less and no triple flip programs from 2011 will ever cut it again as the womens field strengthens intself again heading to Sochi.

Custom Title
    I do expect much from Adelina, because she is an all around skater more than our other young stars (and she is 3 times National champion too), she has the biggest jumps and the best skating skills and lines among them. Adelina is slowly getting it together and I'm sure she will surprize us this season. 3Lz-3T was very nice! Writing such a talent off is way too early, IMO

After watching Sasha and Alissa for years - Adelina is not hard for me to handle or root for.
    I think Adelina is a wonderful skater who also never misses the podium.

I hope she is adjusted to her new size by the end of the season.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast