Asada skating to Swan Lake? | Golden Skate

Asada skating to Swan Lake?

Macassar88

Medalist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VMJVsg2Lk

a good or bad choice for her free program this season??
Can she be the ultimate SWAN?

please DISCUSS.

:biggrin: :think: :popcorn:
I think TAT needs glasses or laser surgery because apparently she can't see that Mao and Adelina are two different people. Liebestraum AND Swan Lake? Although I'm glad that she didn't try to force Burlesque on Mao...

That said, Mao has beautiful elegance and could definitely pull off Swan Lake. (As long as the swan doesn't slap herself over and over again...)

Is it the same section of music from Swan Lake as Adelina is using? I hope not.

Either way, Mao will do a wonderful job. She has a balletic grace that will do justice to the music.

One thing that's frustrating for me as a fan of Russian music is that there is SO MUCH of it that it's bewildering that one of Russia's greatest coaches continues to use only the most obvious examples again and again. Just Tchaikovsky alone has so much astonishing music that could become trademark pieces for a talented and original skater like Mao. There's the second section of the Suite Number 3, the first section of the Serenade for Strings,, and parts of the Fifth and Sixth Symphonies. In Rimsky-Korsakov, beyond Scheherezade, there are parts of his opera Le Coq d'Or, among many other works.

Tchaikovsky Suite no. 3, second movement (the only separate recording I could find, so pardon the flatness in the later part)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgX2abAjHm8&feature=related

Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsGRglp6tvs

Rimsky-Korsakov, part of Le Coq d'Or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j-vQPVQBOc&feature=relmfu

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
And Mao did ballet training this summer, so it's definitely a program to watch! Mao's grace and elegance are perfect for this kind of music! (But, I don't think TAT was Adelina's choreographer in 2009...)

Bartek

On the Ice
OMG! I am so happy! If anyone in this World can pull off an extraordinary Swan Lake it's Mao Asada. I think that with TAT choreography Mao may even match beauty of the great Sasha Cohen's Swan Lake. TAT once made beautiful Swan Lake for Sasha which was perfect because of Sasha's grace and line. Mao has those quality as well, I think this will be a program to remember. I'm looking forward to seeing spiral sequence.

Sasha's lovely Swan Lake performed for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUIDWF1zRw

mary01

Final Flight
UNBELIEVABLE, I can't believe that Mao really will be skating to Swan lake, it's a dream come true for me, this is really a KILLER match, it's just right on the money if you ask me, and yes i think this program is really one to look for, I can't wait to see her debut her program at JO. right now i have sooo many emotions going through me, but one thing is for sure it's because i am soooo happy and surprised that i still can't believe that Mao really chose this music.

no matter how many skaters have skated to this piece of music or how known it is, it doesn't change the fact that Mao was born to skate to swan lake, this piece was simply made to her.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think it is a great choice for Mao. What impressed me about the clip was how fit and healthy she looks. After the loss of her mother last season she had gotten so thin, she looks
so much better now. I hope she has a great season! :points:

That I certainly agree with. She looks as if she is ready to take on everything that comes her way. Go, Mao! My fingers are crossed for her to win the gold. (Which gold? EVERY gold!)

janetfan

Match Penalty
That I certainly agree with. She looks as if she is ready to take on everything that comes her way. Go, Mao! My fingers are crossed for her to win the gold. (Which gold? EVERY gold!)

Hearing this news I can't help thinking of an earlier era......

I can imagine Mao appearing as part of John Curry's troupe and besides skating with him - also working up a featured solo program to "Swan Lake" without the constraints of the CoP.

Mao is such a beautiful skater and I am looking forward to seeing her "Swan Lake" this season.

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight

Mao def have to go all out for podium spot. Miki, Yuna, Calrolina (rumor of retirement??) and Tuk, Adelena .... the podium will be a crowded spot and even cracking the top 6 will be super hard. Good luck to her...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Any swan lake version is still overused
but It still depends on the type of skater who uses it

I think Mao would really pull this off nicely :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm sure, it's a great choice for her!!! Mao worked with a hungarian ballet master in this summer in Budapest. Her daintiness and her elegant skating will create a wonderful harmony with the music.

Macassar88

Medalist
I'm surprised she didn't save this music for Sochi - it could have brought the house down.
Also, anyone else think it would be insane if she did some variation of Swan Lake (like heavy metal swan LOL)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm surprised she didn't save this music for Sochi - it could have brought the house down.
Also, anyone else think it would be insane if she did some variation of Swan Lake (like heavy metal swan LOL)

Yes...and yes :laugh:

mary01

Final Flight
I was also kind of expecting or atleast hoping/wishing that Mao would pick this for Sochi, but as long as she skates to it, I am more then satisfied.

I am already loving it before even seeing her skate!
it's just knowing Mao, with her skating skills and strong presence on the ice, she can make ANY kind of music and choreography work, and this is definitely no exception, it's really a match made in heaven! I am sure this will be another signature program of her, i will be counting the days until JO from now on!

I really hope to see Mao in great condition, from the beginning of the season till the end, wish her all the luck for the upcoming season, may this become her season! :points:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Argh, first thought came to mind for me was: "why now?"
Swan Lake should be for Sochi, not now. Maybe SP for Sochi?
But I think she would be the SWAN if she got her jumps.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Thank you for mentioning Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings!!! Ever since this was used by Katia at Sergei's Tribute (Celebration of a Life) I have wanted to see this used!! Here is a clip from the program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO1Jmm6x2wM

When I became a ballet fan and saw Balanchine's Serenade, I was blown away. When the curtain rises and you see the women all lined up with their right arms raised, it is an incredible sight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ra_L_wPo0,

russell30

Final Flight

Well Shizu used a modern version for her SP in both the 03 and 04 season to some affect too - absolute joy to watch!