Mirai Nagasu | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

jaq

Rinkside
I'm thrilled for Mirai!! I don't love the programs this year, but I'm glad she's skating them well. That's the most important thing. And if she gets 2 GP assignments that really an opportunity for her to build momentum for herself next year and make the world team. I would love for her to make the Olympic Team once again too. She's still my personal favorite US lady and I like to feel optimistic about her since she's turning things around and going in a good direction.

2? Yassss I am ready for the Miraissance

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy that Mirai made her mark on the event and got the silver medal. Really an amazing accomplishment after many have written her off. I had hoped she would be Top 5 here, so she really exceeded expectations.

Some people are saying she should be sent to Worlds, and as much as I'd like to see that, I'd rather have her go out on a high note and build momentum into next season. I'm pretty sure she'll get 2 GP spots.

tulosai

Record Breaker
So happy that Mirai made her mark on the event and got the silver medal. Really an amazing accomplishment after many have written her off. I had hoped she would be Top 5 here, so she really exceeded expectations.

Some people are saying she should be sent to Worlds, and as much as I'd like to see that, I'd rather have her go out on a high note and build momentum into next season. I'm pretty sure she'll get 2 GP spots.

I love her a lot but I really agree with this. My wildest hope for this competition is that she might have been able to get bronze, and like you what I really hoped for was simply top 5, which I thought was definitely doable but honestly not certain. I think this will be a strong end to her season for her- really the absolute best she could have hoped for in this season in her very wildest dreams- and if she is able to come out with a bang next season I think she's actually situated very nicely to be a force in American Ladies skating again.

slider11

Medalist
I love her a lot but I really agree with this. My wildest hope for this competition is that she might have been able to get bronze, and like you what I really hoped for was simply top 5, which I thought was definitely doable but honestly not certain. I think this will be a strong end to her season for her- really the absolute best she could have hoped for in this season in her very wildest dreams- and if she is able to come out with a bang next season I think she's actually situated very nicely to be a force in American Ladies skating again.

In fairness to Polina, she was named to the team and Polina should go along with Gracie and Ashley. I'm hoping that Polina's need to "break in her new boots" is not code for my jumps are failing and I hate my LP. Gracie and Ashley showing are anyone's guess. If injury occurs, and I hope it doesn't, Mirai should be prepared to step in. Otherwise she can use this fantastic competition as her building block for next year. Win-win.

JackRoast

Rinkside
Congratulations to Mirai for the success at 4CC. She was ready and did her best. As to Gold and Chen they were not successful because they said they were not ready. It's just an excuse. Gold agreed to compete at 4CC so she should have been ready, if not she should have given a chance to a skater who WAS ready. Its strange that Chen complains she was not ready. She had to know that being an alternate she should be ready in case, she should be training after Nationals, if she did not and was not ready she should refuse to go to 4CC. If she went she should not complain. It is not right that USFSA sends to an International competition two skaters who are "not ready", and who openly say that in their intervews that they aren't ready. My sympathy to USFSA.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Mirai for the success at 4CC. She was ready and did her best. As to Gold and Chen they were not successful because they said they were not ready. It's just an excuse. Gold agreed to compete at 4CC so she should have been ready, if not she should have given a chance to a skater who WAS ready. Its strange that Chen complains she was not ready. She had to know that being an alternate she should be ready in case, she should be training after Nationals, if she did not and was not ready she should refuse to go to 4CC. If she went she should not complain. It is not right that USFSA sends to an International competition two skaters who are "not ready", and who openly say that in their intervews that they aren't ready. My sympathy to USFSA.

I have more sympathy for Chen because she legitimately was given VERY short notice but either way I agree.

jaq

Rinkside
:rofl: I love it. :agree:
It's happening!! Get your blades ready!!

I'm hoping that Polina's need to "break in her new boots" is not code for my jumps are failing and I hate my LP.
She shouldn't go for simply that excuse alone. Just say you want to prepare for Worlds oy vey

Its strange that Chen complains she was not ready. She had to know that being an alternate she should be ready in case, she should be training after Nationals, if she did not and was not ready she should refuse to go to 4CC. If she went she should not complain. It is not right that USFSA sends to an International competition two skaters who are "not ready", and who openly say that in their intervews that they aren't ready. My sympathy to USFSA.
Karen was given next to no notice. Please.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
So happy and excited for Mirai😄 She really deserves it! I hope she makes it to Worlds and 2018 Olympics.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Mirai's improved on her SB from last year by ten points. I hope that she is able to get 2 grand prix assignments next year. I definitely felt like she was giving it more in both programs than she has recently, and I thought that they could have given her the triple triple in the free skate (it will happen...one of these days...).

On a shallow note..while she looked adorable...I wasn't really a fan of the headband. It was kind of distracting and too costumely for me. The dress was beautiful as always though.

Replying to my own post that I made after NHK to note that Mirai has now improved on her last year's season's best by nearly 28 points! Go Mirai!

Re: Karen, I was actually surprised that she got named as 2nd alternate to 4CC over someone who placed over her at nationals, like Hannah Miller. Karen had a stronger season than Hannah, but Karen posted on her social media after nationals that she was dealing with foot injury issues and was happy to finally have the chance for her body to rest and recover. I know that the federation likes to "spread the love" on the alternates assignments, but she didn't exactly sound competition ready, even if she had been given more notice. Actually this applied to Mirai too, I think she was named 3rd alternate to Worlds last year even though she was injured and off the ice after nationals, probably so she could get funding for this season (though the reality of a third alternate being called to compete at Worlds is pretty remote compared to the more realistic possibility of the 2nd alternate to 4CC being called to complete, since lots of the "top" ladies like to skip 4CC).

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
So happy and excited for Mirai😄 She really deserves it! I hope she makes it to Worlds and 2018 Olympics.

So do I! Especially the Olympics!

Great job by Mirai. I was thrilled at her winning silver at 4CC. Here's hoping it's the start of better and better results.

As to her programs - I love the SP not so loving the LP. I wish she could find a choreographer that could really bring out her best. Rohene Ward tweeted some time ago that he'd love to do some programs for Mirai. It'd be interesting to see what he could come up with.

Mirai's improved on her SB from last year by ten points. I hope that she is able to get 2 grand prix assignments next year. I definitely felt like she was giving it more in both programs than she has recently, and I thought that they could have given her the triple triple in the free skate (it will happen...one of these days...).

On a shallow note..while she looked adorable...I wasn't really a fan of the headband. It was kind of distracting and too costumely for me. The dress was beautiful as always though.

Well the headband fits with the Charleston theme. Such headpieces were common for ladies in the Roaring Twenties.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Videos of Mirai performing in NYC last Sunday. I was not able to attend, unfortunately, so I'm glad someone took these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbzYTzingJ4 - I Put a Spell on You EX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlQhElRRegY - Group skate

Thank you so much for those NYC videos. These shows are really good for Mirai. It gives her a chance to explore expression and really get into the music. I agree with most on this thread that although I'd like to see her in competition at Worlds,the way this competitive season ended is about as good as she could have expected. I am hopeful for 2 GPs and some time for 2 really good programs for next season.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Wow, Mirai!! What gorgeous performances. What an improvement in speed, ice coverage, confidence, and jump cleanliness. (By the way, I haven't really been following skating for like ~1 year, but it seems that part of this improvement and even somewhat of a confidence comes from her change in physique? I mean, figure-wise, she looks like she did in 2010!)''

Also I love the little smile she gave after the triple salchow in the second half of her LP. So sweet.

Also....can we all appreciate THIS spiral???? This is so rare nowadays.... https://youtu.be/GK89_xuHPT0?t=2m37s

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Mirai is showing increasing stability with her jumps, fabulous spins and a full body expressive quality. All very good. I would just like to see that expressive quality I see from her feet to her shoulders make its way to her face. I really think if she has music to which she can relate along with the increased confidence in her jumps and overall skating quality we may see a "full package" Mirai next year. I really didn't care for her LP this year; music cuts were terrible and I don't care if she had a roaring 20's flapper's head band, that program was not an artistic gem. And yet look at the good scores she got! Get Mirai a strong choreographer who can put together something Mira can relate to and I think she's a podium contender! I'm very excited!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai was interviewed by TSL, they will post it sometime Wednesday. Her dog Lincoln will make an appearance and apparently she teaches Dave & Jenny some Japanese!