Mirai Nagasu | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

slider11

Medalist
Mirai skates last in the LP. This will be a real battle of nerves for Mirai but it also gives her the chance to see how the rest of the field does and determine triple axle or not. I hope she does it, lands it or not but focuses on that great music that tells her story. I would love to see her succeed!

Imagine

Medalist
Cheering big time for the hometown girl in the free! What a beautiful short program she has given.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Really rooting for Mirai tonight! She skates last which is a great position if she can avoid giving into the pressure! :cheer:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ready to cheer for the Queen of Costumes tonight! Go Mirai, believe in yourself! :rock:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Fourth for Mirai but she fought for her jumps. I just hope she takes this and builds on it for the coming Olympic season! She's probably going to be named for 4CCs so I hope she's as successful (or even more so!) as last year when she won silver! Gotta work on those URs though! I wonder if she should work with a jump coach or even a sports psychologist to help her with her nerves and confidence?

All that being said - I hope Mirai ditches "The Winner Takes It All". I don't like this version (ABBA is supreme), I tried but could never get into this FS and frankly the lyrics are unfortunate - especially when Mirai makes a mistake (like her fall on the Lutz just as the refrain came on). The lyrics are so depressing when you actually listen to them. Mirai needs something UPBEAT for the Olympic year imo. And I kept saying to Mirai (through tv) 'Come one Mirai - forget the fall! SELL SELL SELL! But she didn't sell it at all. On that Tara and I were in total agreement.

I'm not giving up on you Mirai! You've still got so much to give!! I know you have it in you! And I think it's time to bring out that 3A! :rock:

Last edited:

geige

On the Ice
This nationals was reminiscent of 2013 Nationals. Came in from a good position in the short, top 3 finish within easy reach, skated last with the burden of expectations and formidable scores before, and ultimately faltered... 😭😭
Fortunately, she still landed on the podium by quite a large margin. Let's hope she still gets named to 4CC...

slider11

Medalist
Presuming Mirai is first alternate for Worlds (and maybe 4CC if one of the first 3 drops),I think she still has a chance to redeem this program and her season. I don't understand why she can't, as Tara said, "sell" this long program with more conviction. 3 more points and she would have been third. Mirai ended up at Worlds last year as a replacement to one of the top 3. No bad wishes to those top 3 but Mirai should remain focused and keep moving.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I was really heartbroken by what happened, but odd as this sounds I am kind of happy that the results were a direct result of what she did (and didn't do). Sometimes in the past I've felt National panels were unfair to her, but last night and during the SP they were ready and wanted to reward her- she was even getting favorable calls from the tech panel. So I'm actually comforted that the reason she's in 4th is because of how she skated, even though that's heartbreaking in its own way.

I do hope we'll be able to see her at 4CCs!

geige

On the Ice
I think Mirai needs to return to something Gatsby-like (but not Gatsby itself since it got quite a mixed reaction). She never melted down or just had a bad skate to it. She should save the heavy, lyrical stuff for the short instead.

slider11

Medalist
I think Tom Z has to let her find a piece of music that she can relate to and work from that perspective. Or give her 5 pieces that he/choreographer can live with and let her pick. He stone-faced performances are not resonating with the audience and not getting her the component marks she needs.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy that Mirai will be going to 4CC's again, with Ashley withdrawing. A chance to redeem herself and perhaps get on the podium again or even try the 3A.

Not sure what happened to her Sat night other than a bad case of nerves and psyching herself out. She had to skate last after Karen and Ashley and there was a long wait before Ashley's score was posted. I saw her tighten up, similar to what happened to her at Skate Canada, though not as bad. When Mirai's nervous, she tightens up and either falls or UR her jumps.

Still someone who has competed as many years as Mirai needs to learn how to control her nerves or channel it into the program somehow. I also don't think that "The winner takes it all" is necessarily the best song for her to skate to, even though it's a lovely program. Perhaps she will skate to Avatar next season, as she had originally wanted.

Still my favorite Mirai-ism came out of this Nationals - "Oh daaaang"

nguyhm

On the Ice
Still my favorite Mirai-ism came out of this Nationals - "Oh daaaang"
Typical Mirai, that was cute. She seemed happy with the SP placement and I was elated for her. What a contrast after the LP, she was heartbroken :(
I'm glad that she's going to 4CC, I hope she'll redeem herself. It's harder when she was 2nd to be dropped to 4th. Best of luck to Mirai at 4CC.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sad that Mirai didn't have a better free skate. As she left the ice, you could see her say to Coach Z "That was cr*p". So needless to say, she wasn't too pleased with her performance. She still seemed a little down the following day at the breakfast but said a few words and thanked fans for their support. She said she could feel the support and the energy in the arena. She said during practice days it helps to remember the support from the fans...Many people were coming up to her and talking with her, encouraging her, etc. Here she is with ice dancer Kaitlyn Hawayek. I hope she does well at 4CC.

https://pic.twitter.com/4B7SQQ9HMM

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Here's something I've wondered about: Why doesn't USFS send skaters to Winter Universiade? It could have been an option for Mirai (and Max Aaron and Angela Wang, BTW) if they are taking enough hours in college to be eligible to be assigned to compete.

I know it's not Worlds or 4CCs, but it is a Team USA event, and USATF/USA Swimming/USA Diving. sends athletes to compete in the Summer Universiade. The U.S. even sends basketball, volleyball, and rugby teams from the best collegiate players.

To give a frame of reference, Damon Allen has two silver medals from the 1993 & 1995 Winter Universiades, so the USFS has sent skaters there before.

Just a thought - I think if there are more opportunities to send skaters to international competitions and they want to do it, it should be an option. For some, the Universiade/University Games gives them a chance to represent the U.S. in international competition. Which could be valuable experience in many ways.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TomZ talks about Mirai in the latest IceTalk. Tom's interview starts around the 30 minute mark and talks about Mirai towards the end (53 minutes in).

Jackie Wong asks some good questions and it's worth a listen.

ETA: I will update the OP after 4CC's since Mirai's season likely ends after then.

Last edited:

geige

On the Ice
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rJRC3f4DRx4
A beautiful run through from Mirai at 4CC! A few landings iffy on rotation (3FT, 2A3T2T), but overall, a great run through that would've for sure given her the bronze at Nats, or maybe even silver. Hopefully she can finally pull it together for the long here!