Mirai Nagasu | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mirai and Adam are having a blast in those Access vids!

Also, @MicrosoftEDU honored Mirai by recognizing her achievement at the Olympics!

From their Twitter account: https://twitter.com/MicrosoftEDU/status/969641251057233920

@MicrosoftEDU
We're celebrating #WomensHistoryMonth w/ a little twist: by recognizing women MAKING history! First up: @mirai_nagasu! Her accomplishment is proof that hard work pays off!

You'd better believe it! GO MIRAI!! WTG! :clap:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mirai is in consideration for DWTS per the show's casting director, along with Adam, Nathan and the Shibs! All my faves! :love:

On Mirai “I think she’s adorable, and I’m still really making the picks on who it is, but obviously she, Adam [Rippon], Nathan [Chen], the Shibutani’s.”

The casting director Deena Katz does want athletes from 'all corners' - not that she wouldn't mind doing an all skaters DWTS! “… If I could just do a season of ice skaters, that would be fantastic because I could have filled it up just with them.”

Obviously, there is the problem of the skater's (likely contractual) obligations with Stars On Ice so it would be interesting to see how it works out for whomever is chosen for DWTS since it falls smack dab in the middle of the SOI tour!

slider11

Medalist
Mirai is in consideration for DWTS per the show's casting director, along with Adam, Nathan and the Shibs! All my faves! :love:

On Mirai “I think she’s adorable, and I’m still really making the picks on who it is, but obviously she, Adam [Rippon], Nathan [Chen], the Shibutani’s.”

The casting director Deena Katz does want athletes from 'all corners' - not that she wouldn't mind doing an all skaters DWTS! “… If I could just do a season of ice skaters, that would be fantastic because I could have filled it up just with them.”

Obviously, there is the problem of the skater's (likely contractual) obligations with Stars On Ice so it would be interesting to see how it works out for whomever is chosen for DWTS since it falls smack dab in the middle of the SOI tour!

Well, Meryl and Charlie did it, Charlie for part of the tour, Meryl for the whole thing. With many of the SOI venues on the East Coast it is challenging! Too bad DWTS couldn't hold off a month but they want the May sweeps (month when they track ratings). Several years ago there was a skating with the stars concept with a host of pro skaters, skating with wanna-bes. It It was mildly successful for a short time and then went away. I know it's much more popular in Europe. Since this new DWTS is rumored to be all athletes, I wonder if it's all winter athletes. That could make it an interesting mix of figure skating, hockey, bobsled etc.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, Meryl and Charlie did it, Charlie for part of the tour, Meryl for the whole thing. With many of the SOI venues on the East Coast it is challenging! Too bad DWTS couldn't hold off a month but they want the May sweeps (month when they track ratings). Several years ago there was a skating with the stars concept with a host of pro skaters, skating with wanna-bes. It It was mildly successful for a short time and then went away. I know it's much more popular in Europe. Since this new DWTS is rumored to be all athletes, I wonder if it's all winter athletes. That could make it an interesting mix of figure skating, hockey, bobsled etc.

I remember that skating with the stars thing but I didn't care for it.

It will be interesting to see who they finally decide on for the DWTS athletes cast!

Danibellerika

Medalist

So Meryl did a bunch of solo numbers?

Danibellerika

Medalist
No....Charlie was voted off DWTS so he only did SOI and Meryl did both DWTS and SOI until she won DWTS!

Oh so HE did solo numbers?

Also, worlds is on Olympic Channel and they just did a nice Mirai montage (though she hasn't skated yet).

Danibellerika

Medalist
What?? No.

No one is talking about solo numbers.

Okay I'm sorry. I was just confused with the wording but now I understand. Charlie only had to deal with DWTS along with SOI for part of the tour but Meryl's run ended up taking up the whole tour. I was thinking he was there when she wasn't because he was eliminated earlier.

Anyway, onto Mirai. I really enjoyed her short today! I hope she can give a satisfying performance in the free and end the season on a good note.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mirai chose to do a 2A instead of her 3A in the SP, and seemed a little conservative but even with the downgrade to a 3-2 combo she still scored very well! And her PCS was higher than at the Olympics! I hope she comes back next season but if not, I hope she goes out swinging in the FS!

I hope Mirai gives it all she has in her final FS this season! Go Mirai! :rock:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Do you guys think she'll go for 3A :hopelessness:

She hasn't landed even one (I think) very well in practice per Jackie's reports. I'm guessing not BUT she might decide the heck with it, may as well go for it. I wish she had trained TWO axels in her FS, one in combo! Or at least backloaded the 3A since the judges don't give her much love on GOE.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
She hasn't landed even one (I think) very well in practice per Jackie's reports. I'm guessing not BUT she might decide the heck with it, may as well go for it. I wish she had trained TWO axels in her FS, one in combo! Or at least backloaded the 3A since the judges don't give her much love on GOE.

I love Mirai but it seems she is lacking motivation after the Olympics. I really want her to prove me wrong. :dev2:

slider11

Medalist
It may not be motivation that Mirai lacked in attempting a 3A but more smart strategy spurred by Tom Z. A clean Miss Saigon would have score in the 130s and might have given the US team a better chance of 3 spots. Plus give Mirai a strong program as her (likely) final competitive skate. BUT she ran into a nit-piking tech panel who diced her and others. I will miss Mirai if she chooses to retire.

lowereastside

Spectator
Article from TomZ’s twitter feed: “.@mirai_nagasu enters world championships motivated by Olympic finish, future undecided”

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/...-championships/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Missed this article initially, but it sounds like she’s pretty undecided about continuing post worlds. I hope those underrotation calls at worlds weren’t deflating. Selfishly, I hope she continues! Her 3A at the Olympics was breathtaking and I think another season with it under her belt might make it more dependable. Looking forward to seeing her at stars on ice this summer!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai has started a Youtube Channel! She's got over 1100 subscribers so far.

She posted her first Vlog a couple of days ago, talking about her experience at the Olympics. She gets a bit emotional about having her parents there with her in S. Korea since they never take a holiday and they were so happy to be there.

Some cute outtakes and a cameo by her boyfriend, Darian. She's excited for SOI, so I hope she captures some experiences for the Vlog while on tour.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy 25th Birthday to Mirai!

A few of her skating pals have posted their birthday wishes including Max Settlage and Alex Johnson.

As for herself, she posted a story of eating Avocado toast with her new DWTS partner, Alan. Best of luck to them!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai posted a new vlog about SOI and DWTS. A lot of it I've seen previously on her IG stories but she also shows rehearsal footage of her and Alan doing their week one routine as well as tech rehearsing on the DWTS set.

Looking forward to seeing what Mirai brings to week 2!