Mirai Nagasu | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Mirai's improved on her SB from last year by ten points. I hope that she is able to get 2 grand prix assignments next year. I definitely felt like she was giving it more in both programs than she has recently, and I thought that they could have given her the triple triple in the free skate (it will happen...one of these days...).

On a shallow note..while she looked adorable...I wasn't really a fan of the headband. It was kind of distracting and too costumely for me. The dress was beautiful as always though.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does this photo show Mirai? Or is it only my wishful thinking??

It is attached to a press release today from Citizen Watch company about their continuing sponsorship of the ISU:

Excerpt:

Figure skating taxes the limits of competitors, involving many difficult moves such as jumps and spins, all skillfully coordinated to appear both beautiful and effortless. This technically demanding ballet on ice has many similarities to watch manufacturing, which requires extreme skill in a variety of disciplines to bring thousands of parts and technical details together in elegant highly functional designs.

CITIZEN also sees a commonality between the spirit of figure skaters -- who pursue their personal best by striving to continually improve the various elements of their routines -- and the philosophy of watchmaking.

My compliments to the publicist who wrote this release ... connecting the two disparate endeavors :).

And extra compliments if the person chose an image of Mirai to illustrate the connection.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm pretty sure that's her - in her James Bond dress from 2013-14 season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Congrats to Mirai for putting out an amazing skate and winning the pewter medal at Nationals!!! This is a big step in the right direction for her, I am so proud :love:

dna5019

Final Flight
Mirai! What a wonderful performance you gave last night! I'm so proud of you! :luv17: Keep up that determination and hard work, and things can only get better from here! :agree:

thoakun

Final Flight
Congrats to Mirai for putting out amazing skates at Nats and showing that she's not going away anytime soon even when the field is much tougher. I'm always touched by Mirai and Tom Z's interaction in the K&C. I don't know about his capability as a coach but he has worked with her through the worst phase of her career and that means a lot.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Congrats to Mirai for putting out amazing skates at Nats and showing that she's not going away anytime soon even when the field is much tougher. I'm always touched by Mirai and Tom Z's interaction in the K&C. I don't know about his capability as a coach but he has worked with her through the worst phase of her career and that means a lot.

Tom Z is well regarded as a technical coach. He is thought to train jumps very effectively and well and his skaters usually do get the levels. People have mixed feelings on his style of coaching and some of his actions, and I think as a coach he isn't for everyone (I personally would not allow my minor child to train with him, but would be comfortable if my 20 year old wanted to do so) but I have never gotten any impression that his relationship with Mirai is less than extremely positive, and I think it is obvious at this point that at least so far this has been a good move for her and he's a good coach for her at the moment. She is still working on some things but her improvement is evident. Tom has also quite evidently been politicking for her, and has enough of a reputation that he's able to do so, which I do believe is also helping.

Iron Lotus

On the Ice
Mirai now has full set of medals from Sr. Nats. Hope she can start the cycle again beginning with gold! :)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy and relieved that Mirai had a great nationals and got her pewter medal. For her, I think the pewter was worth its weight in gold, considering the last two Nationals were so disappointing for her. I think this placement was the best she could hope for.

Glad that "boot gate" was resolved quickly (I almost expected her boot to have its own Twitter account, lol) and didn't seem to distract her too much. I think she deserves a lot of credit for continuing her SP.

I hope either Ashley or Gracie may skip 4CCs to prepare for Worlds and their spot goes to Mirai as she is first alternate.

slider11

Medalist
Tom Z is well regarded as a technical coach. He is thought to train jumps very effectively and well and his skaters usually do get the levels. People have mixed feelings on his style of coaching and some of his actions, and I think as a coach he isn't for everyone (I personally would not allow my minor child to train with him, but would be comfortable if my 20 year old wanted to do so) but I have never gotten any impression that his relationship with Mirai is less than extremely positive, and I think it is obvious at this point that at least so far this has been a good move for her and he's a good coach for her at the moment. She is still working on some things but her improvement is evident. Tom has also quite evidently been politicking for her, and has enough of a reputation that he's able to do so, which I do believe is also helping.

Tom Z. seems to be the perfect match for Mirai and Max Aaron- both very different personalities with different needs. Coaching children is certainly a different craft but Tom seems to be customizing his approach to these 2 adults. Mirai needed improvement and consistency in her jumps and the ability to recapture her love and spirit for the sport. Adam needed to find his artistry. I like Tom's style at the boards. He seems invested in the athlete but not attention-seeking.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Wow! So Ashley withdrew from 4CCs? Any reason given - to focus on Worlds?

Yes. She wants to foucus on preparing for Worlds. I feel grateful she withdrew in a very prompt manner to give Mirai maximum time to prepare :)