Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Davis & White disclose their music selections!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    good to read I'm not the only one who doesn't "get" that music choice.
    make it 3 lool

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Well, there are some lively group dances in the first act..I can see how it could not only work well , but be a standout.

Custom Title
    KKonas, thanks for the information and the discussion of tango.

As for Giselle being relevant to polka, I'm not familiar with the entire score of the ballet, but most full-length ballets of that period, and lots of operas as well, have a "village dance" scene somewhere near the beginning, featuring the corps de ballet, before the sylphs/ghosts/wilis/enchanted swans appear, and there may be some polka-rhythm music like that in Giselle. Even Swan Lake has something like that tucked in somewhere, as I recall. Coppelia certainly does.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes, there's a village dance in Giselle, but it doesn't sound that polka-ish to me...but I bet it will meet the rhythm specs when we finally get to seeing it.

If you read a lot of the bios of skaters, often they started skating because some doctor recommended it-for respiratory issues, or other reasons.

(not Charlie, though. But he's always had asthma AFAIK)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    I'm sure they will do a fine job with it but I imagine it will be a lot like Samson and Phantom so it seems a bit safe. This music and program was the one thing A&P did that I didn't enjoy at all. I've yet to see a program to this music I liked. I do think though that D&W will have the best program to this music of the ones I've seen. Just not that exciting and on paper seems a bit repetitive.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with this post. D/W are one of my favorite ice dance teams; but what's frustrating for me sometimes as a fan is that I feel that they have the capability to be much edgier or more avant garde programs than the musical selections for their FDs seem to indicate. (Charlie, in particular, is very conservative in his musical choices for them- Phantom is a prime example.) Most of their FD programs seem to be derivative of programs that have been done by others. They seem to think that they have success with epic/passionate FDs and so this year's musical choice is following along those lines. Not only is it something that A/P have skated to but when I was listening to the music it sounded a bit like W/P's French-vocal FD music from last season.

They have such an exciting and dynamic presence on the ice I wish that they would come up with fresher musical choices and program concepts for their FDs.

Oddly enough they seem to be more creative or at least come up with better program concepts in their SD selections. It's almost like the boundaries in the set theme frees them up to pick something that the rest of the pack aren't skating to.

But due to how confident they sound I'm sure the program will be a strong one and skated with attack and drama. I just wish they had used this year to try something different- they probably will do traditional/classical again next year since it's the Olympic year and they won't want to take any chances.

Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with this post. D/W are one of my favorite ice dance teams; but what's frustrating for me sometimes as a fan is that I feel that they have the capability to be much edgier or more avant garde programs than the musical selections for their FDs seem to indicate. (Charlie, in particular, is very conservative in his musical choices for them- Phantom is a prime example.) Most of their FD programs seem to be derivative of programs that have been done by others. They seem to think that they have success with epic/passionate FDs and so this year's musical choice is following along those lines. Not only is it something that A/P have skated to but when I was listening to the music it sounded a bit like W/P's French-vocal FD music from last season.

They have such an exciting and dynamic presence on the ice I wish that they would come up with fresher musical choices and program concepts for their FDs.

Oddly enough they seem to be more creative or at least come up with better program concepts in their SD selections. It's almost like the boundaries in the set theme frees them up to pick something that the rest of the pack aren't skating to.

But due to how confident they sound I'm sure the program will be a strong one and skated with attack and drama. I just wish they had used this year to try something different- they probably will do traditional/classical again next year since it's the Olympic year and they won't want to take any chances.
    I do, generally, agree, but I do have to point out that this year is a year in which they are setting up for an Olympic year. They probably are reluctant to take a chance because if it didn't work out and V/M dominated them this year, that would set a bad tone going into Sochi.

I'm actually excited to see these programs. They sound the most excited they've been for a while

The most important thing is that the skaters be excited about their own programs..only secondarily that judges and fans be excited...that was what Funny Face had going for it for Virtue & Moir. Tessa & Scott were excited it about it.

Sometimes that's what really matters most.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    KKonas, thanks for the advance peek at the interview! I'm still a little confused by the choice of Giselle for the Yankee Polka. I am not quite seeing how it will be used.
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to quiz M&C any more re Giselle (since I spent time on the FD) and had already taken up too much time in the teleconference. Meryl did say that Marina knew the Giselle ballet very well. Charlie added that it had the requisite music to incorporate a polka, march and waltz, which is what rhythms they apparently will use in the SD. I hear the March and Waltz aspects but not necessarily the polka, however I haven't listened to the entire score.

KKonas, that's exactly where I'm at with it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    KKonas ..ah, I didn't say that D/W's tango was not a really good representation of an Argentinian tango , choreographically. I've always had a high opinion of Igor's tango choreography... best on the ice , in my estimation.

I just say that D/W's expression was for me ,imposed from the outside , not emanating from the inside ..so no matter how well they executed the dance ,technically, there was something noticeably lacking , for me.( more so on Charlie's part ).

I have some photos that show a more passion that perhaps was not readily seen from the audience or in YouTube videos. But of course one has to project to the farthest corner of the arena, and that's probably what Charlie needs to do better.

ETA: re: your work...I knew you seemed very knowledgeable..
    I worked as Director of (Skating) Research for television from 1990 to 2000. Interesting note is that David Raith, now Executive Director of USFigure Skating was my boss at the 1994 Goodwill Games. He was the head of the television network's presentation of the Games.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Icenetwork has now reported on the videoconference.

At some point, they will put up video or audio of it, if things are like last year.

A part of the article

"It's music Charlie and I have loved for years and years, and we've always wanted to skate to," she said in an interview last month. "We've always had a special place in our hearts for it. Marina [Zoueva] said this was the year, and we jumped at it ... It has depth we haven't reached in the past. I'm thrilled to hear it played in our rink.

"Almost all of our elements are totally fresh for this program, and we've worked to make sure [those elements] are part of the story and evoke the feelings of the music."
    They verify that they are using the first act of Giselle for the SD.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 10-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Custom Title
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Icenetwork has now reported on the videoconference.

At some point, they will put up video or audio of it, if things are like last year.
    Some of the quotes/info Lynn uses are from her interview at Champs Camp.

Well, those won't surface as a video, likely.

AFAIR, do they ever do anything but fluff stuff from champs camp?

Rinkside
    Well, those won't surface as a video, likely.

AFAIR, do they ever do anything but fluff stuff from champs camp?
    Last year USFS put up interviews of the skaters after their LP/FD on youtube.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast