Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Results 76 to 87 of 87

Thread: Davis & White disclose their music selections!

  1. #76
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yes, I agree - it has been civil and I did learn a few things.

    I just hope Ice Dancing fans accept my support for their sport even as I admit I don't get the judging very well.

    Sometimes isn't enough to just love watching something?

    In fact I don't intend to change that because I would rather go on enjoying it rather than getting twisted into uncomfortable positions trying to figure it out.

    Go Mirai
    Hi Janetfan - it's been a great discussion and I am not an expert in ice dancing, skating or judging. Unfortunately sports such as gymnastics, diving, figure skating etc which are based on judging will always be controversial for one reason or another. The credibility factor may not be flawless but like you, I try to enjoy the sport for what it has to offer.

  2. #77
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,617
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Actually I am far from an Ice Dancing expert - but think I raised more interesting questions than most of the answers I read so far.

    Simple question - is it a style preference with the judges that separates D/W and V/M - or is it actually an accurate and unbiased difference in their skating that determines who is better?

    I don't know the answers - but will never become a serious fan of Ice Dancing if everything hinges on Charlie taking some acting lessons.

    Again - is Ice Dancing a SPORT or a PAGEANT?
    To play devil's advocate:
    Why is your question re sport vs. pageant limited to ice dance?
    All four disciplines use costumes and music.

    Ice dancers don't perform jumps.
    But singles skaters don't perform lifts. And yet singles skaters are not considered less athletic than pairs, are they? And singles skating is not considered less of a legitimate sport than pairs, is it?

    Of course, ice dancers also perform lifts -- so they do not jump, but they have a proficiency that singles skaters lack.

  3. #78
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    To play devil's advocate:
    Why is your question re sport vs. pageant limited to ice dance?
    All four disciplines use costumes and music.

    Ice dancers don't perform jumps.
    But singles skaters don't perform lifts. And yet singles skaters are not considered less athletic than pairs, are they? And singles skating is not considered less of a legitimate sport than pairs, is it?

    Of course, ice dancers also perform lifts -- so they do not jump, but they have a proficiency that singles skaters lack.
    A fair question and I don't think I have a good answer.
    I was also playing devil's advocate yesterday.....

    First there is no need to assume "pageant" is a dirty word.

    Reading how Charlie might need acting lessons as opposed to becoming an even better skater felt a little off to me.

    I like Charlie the way he is and like D/W the way they are.

    I likeV/M just as much- sometimes more - but the contrast between these two great teams is what makes the rivalry so interesting.

    When I said I can't tell who is better I really meant it. But I don't think Charlie needs to be more like Scott or any of the others.

    So why did I say Ice Dancing feels more like a pageant than the other disciplines? My perception has been there is more emphasis on how the ahthlete's look, dress and emote. Of course there are all kinds of exceptions........but by it's nature Ice Dancing tends to be more theatrical.

    I doubt if anyone will object to my use of the term "theatrical" but "pageant" seems to send up a red flag.

    So let me ask is Charlie an athlete or an actor? Is Ice Dancing a sport or a contest based on theatre as much as athletic skill?

    Katarina's"Carmen"was as theatrical as anything I've seen in Ice Dancing. It is also one of my least favorite OGM winning programs.
    That is just my taste and others -including the judges in Calgary - loved that program.


    I read a post at GS a while ago from a former judge who said something like "the Shibs will never win a medal at Worlds because they are not good looking enough. ISU judges want a different look."

    A month after that post the Shibs won bronze at Worlds.

    But the message of that post stuck with me. I like watching Ice Dancing - I love the Shibs - but I have no burning desire to learn the rules or understand what makes certain teams "favorites" in the eyes of the judges.

    I am afraid the more I would learn the less I would like it.

  4. #79
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,049
    Regarding acting lessons in skating. Skaters deliver a performance. In that performance it helps to learn how to project to the judges and audience. It is especially important if you are portraying a certain character or storyline. In this day and age, many skaters use the talents of professional dancers to help them with expression and choreography. The more you know about how to perform, project, the better.

  5. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,184
    Meryl is so recognizable
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAjpZeAEqIY

  6. #81
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Regarding acting lessons in skating. Skaters deliver a performance. In that performance it helps to learn how to project to the judges and audience. It is especially important if you are portraying a certain character or storyline. In this day and age, many skaters use the talents of professional dancers to help them with expression and choreography. The more you know about how to perform, project, the better.
    Good points and you and the others could be right - but I say acting classes will never be a substitue for natural charisma.

    Like I said, I like Charlie the way he is and like D/W the way they are.

    Just the way I see it and "if it ain't broke don't fix it."


    Anybody think Michelle took acting lessons - or did we just see a naturally charasmatic skater who was trained well enough by her coach and choreographer about performing and projecting?
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-11-2012 at 02:19 PM.

  7. #82
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Falling-again!-at an ice rink near you!
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Regarding acting lessons in skating. Skaters deliver a performance. In that performance it helps to learn how to project to the judges and audience. It is especially important if you are portraying a certain character or storyline. In this day and age, many skaters use the talents of professional dancers to help them with expression and choreography. The more you know about how to perform, project, the better.
    Bingo.

  8. #83
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Bingo.
    OK, can I ask to see the list of skaters that are known to have taken acting classes and credit this with improving their skating performances?

    No need to list them all - just 10-20 of the better known skating thespians would be enough.

    Tara and Sasha don't count

  9. #84
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,132
    Weaver & Poje said they took acting lessons to help them with last year's free dance to Je Suis Malade.

  10. #85
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,617
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    ... I read a post at GS a while ago from a former judge who said something like "the Shibs will never win a medal at Worlds because they are not good looking enough. ISU judges want a different look."

    A month after that post the Shibs won bronze at Worlds.

    But the message of that post stuck with me. I like watching Ice Dancing - I love the Shibs - but I have no burning desire to learn the rules or understand what makes certain teams "favorites" in the eyes of the judges.

    I am afraid the more I would learn the less I would like it.
    Yikes, in addition to their considerable skating talent, the Shibutanis are blessed with exceedingly good looks.
    Glad that they proved the former judge wrong. (And I hope that their skating earns them more medals.)

  11. #86
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Yikes, in addition to their considerable skating talent, the Shibutanis are blessed with exceedingly good looks.
    Glad that they proved the former judge wrong. (And I hope that their skating earns them more medals.)
    The Shibs have also been excused from acting classes and instead are studying Directing and video production.

  12. #87
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,728
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Weaver & Poje said they took acting lessons to help them with last year's free dance to Je Suis Malade.
    It must've worked, because I totally bought it!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •