Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Plushenko ready for 'big' Olympic fight

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,601

    News Plushenko ready for 'big' Olympic fight

    APF -- Former Olympic figure skating champion Evgeny Plushenko nailed two quadruple jumps at the Japan Open Saturday, saying he is ready for a "big fight" at the Sochi Winter Games in 2014.

    More

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    555
    Its going to be his biggest test, his body has been through so much, it depends whether his knee would hold up. I think he will go to Europeans but will miss Worlds next year.

    Dai for me is the only one that can challenge the younger guns like Chan, Hanyu and Fernandez - they are and should be the leading contenders entering Sochi

    Plushenko, and If Weir and Lysacek make the team might find themselves from 4th-10th.

    BUT sport is sport and anything can happen, I am sure the plushy fans out there will correct me.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,556
    I think Plushy will be among the favorites if healthy. Remember, the Olympics are in Russia and Plushys face will be plastered on billboards everywhere. He's a 3 time medalist. So often we see a home advantage in scoring, and there's no way a clean Plushy will be placed behind others if they make errors.

  4. #4
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    What I find extremely frustrating is how Plushenko can exist within the IJS system for years now and still not understand it?

    He insists on front loading his program, leaving nothing to pick up those extra points in the back half of the program. I don't care if he lands 3 quads in the beginning, if the other skaters are smarter and land combos in their later halves, picking up the 10% bonus, he'll still lose. That's one of the main reasons why he lost in Vancouver. Lysacek was SMARTER and back loaded his program. He beat Plushenko on the technical mark, not the component mark.

    You'd think after a few competitions like that, he'd get it, but he still insists on throwing his biggest jumps right out of the gate, as if he were still competing under 6.0. Times have changed and if he can't even comprehend the math, he needs to let it go and rest on his laurels.
    Last edited by Living on the Edge; 10-06-2012 at 12:19 PM.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Living on the Edge View Post
    You'd think after a few competitions like that, he'd get it, but he still insists on throwing his biggest jumps right out of the gate, as if he were still competing under 6.0. Times have changed and if he can't even comprehend the math, he needs to let it go and rest on his laurels.
    I don't think it's about the math. There's a reason you get a bonus for doing jumps late in the program: because it's harder. Skating is a percentages game and if he isn't able to hit hard jumps late in his program consistently he shouldn't do them.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,623
    The jumping layout is very bad and not IJS friendly and even Weir has moved to 3/5 and joined the mainstream but Plushenko just will not try to do it though at euros earlier this year he was almost at 4/4 but was 5/3. Just a 2 second delay with a lutz and he would have been 4/4. He just stays at 5/3 and there is no budging from it. It was fine at 2012 euros but doubtful will work on a bigger stage. No SP yet so its not clear if he will take that bonus but he really doesn't seem to be big on taking the bonus even though it's more points. Once I read from MIshin that jumping after spinning is a problem but I can't find that interview.

  7. #7
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Living on the Edge View Post
    You'd think after a few competitions like that, he'd get it, but he still insists on throwing his biggest jumps right out of the gate, as if he were still competing under 6.0. Times have changed and if he can't even comprehend the math, he needs to let it go and rest on his laurels.

    I dont believe a skater designs the layout of his program, he has a coach, a whole team and RF monitoring him every month, if he doesnt do it, it means he cant make through a program with backloading. He is not a headcase a la Oda.
    Arthur back loads his programs so I believe Mishin sees a reason for Plushenko not doing it. The lutz 2 secs before the second half was weird at Euros though, I had noticed it too.

  8. #8
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    If a skater always frontloads his program there are reasons for it. Actually not "reasons" but "reason."

    He just doesn't have the stamina to spread the more difficult jumps out. Actually Plush - by his own established high standards - struggled a bit with his easier jumps in the second half of his Vancouver LP.

    No doubt, a quad or 3A later in his program might have splatted.

    Most likely Mishin and Plush have tried for years to land bigger jumps later in the program in practices - and he just can't do it with enough consistency to try it in competition.

    Every skater has strengths and weaknesses and after all these years no reason to change now. IMHO it's amazing he can still do what he does

    The bonus is not necessarily a game changer - but what about PCS? Yea, tech not just effects PCS but often determines them.

    Jump well enough with no TR - and voila, the CoP will award you with big TR.

    Nice to know the new system is so much more "accurate" than the old sytem
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-06-2012 at 01:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Goo luck Zhenya I will root for my 2 Gods

    My Eternal Zhenya and My Prince Hanyu

  10. #10
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I dont believe a skater designs the layout of his program, he has a coach, a whole team and RF monitoring him every month, if he doesnt do it, it means he cant make through a program with backloading. He is not a headcase a la Oda.
    Arthur back loads his programs so I believe Mishin sees a reason for Plushenko not doing it. The lutz 2 secs before the second half was weird at Euros though, I had noticed it too.
    I have to disagree with you here. Plushenko has a VERY strong personality and is almost 30 years old. If his team comes up with something for him and he doesn't like it, it's NOT getting done. He's not a 7 yr old preliminary skater who will do whatever his coach says.

    If he can't keep up with the demands of the sport then he needs to leave on a high note and stop coming back with the attitude "I'm the one to beat, and I'll ALWAYS be the one to beat" because it's just not true.

  11. #11
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Living on the Edge View Post
    I have to disagree with you here. Plushenko has a VERY strong personality and is almost 30 years old. If his team comes up with something for him and he doesn't like it, it's NOT getting done. He's not a 7 yr old preliminary skater who will do whatever his coach says.

    If he can't keep up with the demands of the sport then he needs to leave on a high note and stop coming back with the attitude "I'm the one to beat, and I'll ALWAYS be the one to beat" because it's just not true.
    If I was a champion skater - and had to pick anyone in the world to compete against under the pressure of the Olympic spotlight- Plushy would be the LAST SKATER I would want to meet. Even at 30 he is still a force of nature.

    Please, consider what he has done - again and again.

    Whatever I write from time to time - he has earned my highest respect.

    I think it would be amazing and SPECTACULAR if Plushy medals in Sochi.

    I will certainly be rooting for one of the greatest skaters in history to finish his careeer where it has always been - on the podium.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.

  12. #12
    Custom Title DianaSelene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Living on the Edge View Post
    I have to disagree with you here. Plushenko has a VERY strong personality and is almost 30 years old. If his team comes up with something for him and he doesn't like it, it's NOT getting done. He's not a 7 yr old preliminary skater who will do whatever his coach says.

    If he can't keep up with the demands of the sport then he needs to leave on a high note and stop coming back with the attitude "I'm the one to beat, and I'll ALWAYS be the one to beat" because it's just not true.
    I think it is his choice when to leave- on a high note or low note. Neither you nor I can say that. Plushenko should do whatever makes him happy and if he prefers to frontload his jumps in his programs, then do it by all means. He might not win but as long as he skates and does what he wants I'm happy.

    He has his cocky attitude but that is just who he is.

  13. #13
    Custom Title mikiandorocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    687
    I love Plushenko. I've always find him to be inspiring. If he wants to skate at the OG in his home country, just go for it. It would be lovely for him to win another medal (even if not the gold). But it's also good for the overall competition. The others know that they can't take it easy cause Plushenko is around and if there is a slight opportunity to grab the gold he won't waste it. He still seems incredibly focused which I find amazing considering the number of seasons that he's been competing. Just the fact that he still has the motivation to go on is awesome.

  14. #14
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiandorocks View Post
    I love Plushenko. I've always find him to be inspiring. If he wants to skate at the OG in his home country, just go for it. It would be lovely for him to win another medal (even if not the gold). But it's also good for the overall competition. The others know that they can't take it easy cause Plushenko is around and if there is a slight opportunity to grab the gold he won't waste it. He still seems incredibly focused which I find amazing considering the number of seasons that he's been competing. Just the fact that he still has the motivation to go on is awesome.

    I have no problem with someone wanting to keep competing because they love the sport and can't get enough of it (a la Michelle Kwan). But Plushenko just comes off as if he ALWAYS has something to prove and he's not happy unless he's creating turmoil. How he reacted after Vancouver was the WORST kind of conduct and very unbecoming of a champion.

  15. #15
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Living on the Edge View Post
    I have no problem with someone wanting to keep competing because they love the sport and can't get enough of it (a la Michelle Kwan). But Plushenko just comes off as if he ALWAYS has something to prove and he's not happy unless he's creating turmoil. How he reacted after Vancouver was the WORST kind of conduct and very unbecoming of a champion.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was paid very well by NBC to act the way he did

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •