Thread: Asthma Medicine & Skaters Question

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Asthma Medicine & Skaters Question

This is probably a dumb question, but are skaters allowed to take corticosteroids? How about albuterol?

Last edited by FTnoona; 10-06-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Nope. They get the same urine doping tests as other Olympic athletes.

In fact, some OTC cold medicines will get you disciplined.

Custom Title
    So athletes with severe asthma would have to find another form of long term asthma medication then. Do you know if rescue inhalers are permissible?
    Because I was reading this article about asthma mediation and I thought it was interesting.
    [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/22/sports/22iht-22asthma.14679607.html?pagewanted=all[/url]

If even some rescue inhalers are banned, can you really blame the skater for looking like he/she is going to pass out after he/she finishes their program. I was just curious b/c I've read some posts that I interpret as ppl thinking those with asthma experience the same trigger and severity and if person A can overcome it person B should be able to too. To me it almost seemed like some believe that the skater should just "suck it up".
    Last edited by FTnoona; 10-06-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Custom Title
    Yeah, it seems unfair. I still remember swimmer Rick DeMont, aged only sixteen, who had to give his gold medal back in 1972, because he took an asthma medication that turned out to be banned. He was later proved to be completely innocent, but the sports authority (can't remember if it's the IOC or the swimming folk) has consistently refused to restore his medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yeah, it seems unfair. I still remember swimmer Rick DeMont, aged only sixteen, who had to give his gold medal back in 1972, because he took an asthma medication that turned out to be banned. He was later proved to be completely innocent, but the sports authority (can't remember if it's the IOC or the swimming folk) has consistently refused to restore his medal.
    That really unfair for him. I tried to google what type of steroids were allowed and I found this ISU first aid kit list or w/e and I didn't see corticosteroids on the allowed steroid list. That really sucks for asthmatic athletes who want to control their asthma.
    Last edited by FTnoona; 10-07-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's difficult, for sure, although apparently some asthma medications are allowed.

I don't know how these kids manage to compete sometimes.

You see kids come off the ice and have to have their inhalers. Tonya Harding didn't used to even wait until she was out of sight-she'd often be using the inhaler immediately on stepping off the ice.