Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Promising Latvian skaters

Team Russian Silver Foxes gallavich's Avatar

Promising Latvian skaters

A thread for fans of Deniss Vasiljevs, Angelina Kuchvalska, Diana Nikitina, Jakushina/Nevskiy, and any other Latvian skaters we should know about. This small country has some great talent coming out of it these days. Please feel free to share videos, interviews, or other information about any of these skaters.

A few links to get us started:

Dailslidosana Latvia - videos from Latvian Nationals

MrSV999 - Deniss's dad's channel (I think) - he has some fancams of Deniss at competitions and his amazing EX programs

Angelina's FB page

Deniss's FB page

Deniss at the 2015 European Youth Olympics Festival (he was the silver medalist) - video of his FS, clip of the medal ceremony, and an interview
    Last edited by gallavich; 02-10-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I will try to get up to speed on these skaters.

I'm a huge fan of skaters from smaller federations. I hope to live to see World Champions from places like Latvia, Brazil, and Australia!

Thank you for posting video links!

Custom Title
    Angelina's FS is what made the Europeans watchable before the final group came on. She seems quite expressive, and her jumps are very strong (just listen to how the crowd came alive after that 2A-3T. Always nice to see a woman with a good axel, which sadly seems rare these days...) If she can improve the speed and ice coverage, I think her second mark would go up as well.

Hopefully she has the minimums for Worlds, and can make the free skate there.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post

Hopefully she has the minimums for Worlds, and can make the free skate there.
    Yes, she has minimums!

And thank you, gallavich, for the idea of this thread!

On the Ice
    Kuchvalska in 2008, age 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Pl0xXFjuk

So cute!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by catchie View Post
    Yes, she has minimums!

And thank you, gallavich, for the idea of this thread!
    Thanks. I remember a discussion about this on the Europeans thread, but can't seem to recall how it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by iskate View Post
    Kuchvalska in 2008, age 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Pl0xXFjuk

So cute!!
    Very cute! And that's quite an interesting dance mix of "My Sweet & Tender Beast"!

Rinkside
    I, as another Latvian, will try to help with some news as well.

(Have been a fan of skating for more than 10 years now, never thought I live to see a day, when tread will be made about "promising situation of Latvian skating", proud moment indeed! )

A new interview with Angelina and her coach.

http://absoluteskating.com/index.php...linakuchvalska

Angelina likes the Russian skaters - she has great taste. And her coach has some interesting things to say about the development of skating in Latvia.

Medalist
    Sorry for not finding this info earlier (had to get ready for Flute Nationals there - yep, we really have a thing like that here in Latvia, even with regionals and sectionals :D ) but Diana Nikitina completed Jegvirag Cup in Hungary and won Junior Ladies. I'd like to point out that was clean in both SP and FS (SB in both - 53.05 SP and 102.39 FS) completing 3T+3T and 3Lz in both of her programs.
    SP protocols: http://www.jegviragcup.com/Juniorladies_SP_Scores.pdf
    FS protocols: http://www.jegviragcup.com/Juniorladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Excellent!

Good for Diana. Hopefully she will have a strong showing at Junior Worlds as well.

I found this news report about Deniss after the EYOF...I don't know any Latvian, but it seems they are talking about financial support? Is the blonde woman his mother?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    Good for Diana. Hopefully she will have a strong showing at Junior Worlds as well.

I found this news report about Deniss after the EYOF...I don't know any Latvian, but it seems they are talking about financial support? Is the blonde woman his mother?
    They're talking about the achievements of Deniss, his school life, but yes, the main part of the interview is about the financial support, which, as the men said, is going to be higher because Deniss indeed is a young and great talent and they just counted all the organizations from whom is he getting support and that's all. And yes, you're right, the blonde woman is his mom.

Thank you, catchie! He is very special indeed, so I'm glad to know he is getting recognized and receiving financial help.

Absolute Skating posted a new interview with Deniss and his coach:

http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...enissvasiljevs

I was impressed that he had some input into the design of his Tron costume. He did a good job. It's very cool and perfect for the program.

Deniss may be a very dark horse for Junior Worlds, given the competition, but I am rooting for him!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast