Mao Asada | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

urara

Rinkside
Mao seems to take a year off according to this news.

I am not sure if she comes back after the break, but hope she will enjoy her life and skating with no burden.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I guess she is sitting this season out then. If she comes back, I hope her break is enough rest and she can come back better than ever. If she doesn't, then I'll miss her :cry: but at least we can appreciate her magnificent performances from the past decade.

mary01

Final Flight
Here are some of Mao's performances from denis's show, I wish the video recording was of better quality but regardless I atleast appreciate that it was filmed and uploaded. sometimes I wonder whether people who make these shows are aware of how we fans around the world are eager to see the performances too, especially when denis has invited some of the worlds best skaters to attend his show, but it's a pretty new show, so maybe that will change in the near future. It really would be such a waste not to get professionals to record the it.

it's fancam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MCTsUN05Nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYbabnsIoo

I already look forward to Mao's show The Ice, and the good quality videos :biggrin:

gotoschool

Medalist
There is a wonderful thread talking about how Mao's Sochi Lp had such a profound emotional impact on so many and how many think it should have broken the world record:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92547-Mao-s-LP-at-the-Olympics

The fact that such a thread has appeared over four months after the event shows how deep and lasting her impact has been. I know it has already been talked about a lot on this and other threads, but legendary art and performances grow greater over time only if people keep the memory alive. Since the judges didn't give Mao the credit she deserves, why don't we, those who were moved so profoundly by her historic performance, give back some more by posting our thoughts again on this fan thread or the one I have listed above. Now, the passing of time can provide a deeper perspective to express how deeply moved we were and still are by what she has given to us: for me she provided the consummate example of joyous redemption, tragic compassion, and artistic and athletic perfection that makes me weep even now when I see it.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It was absolutely one of the great ladies' LPs. I think the fact that she didn't make the final group hurt her marks.

I'm not really fussed about World Records and stuff, since Yuna's WR was earned under a totally different version of COP (and thus, by today's standards, very overscored). I'm sad the judges didn't recognize what a momentous LP that was, but since her SP knocked her out of the medal stands, I think I will try to just be happy that she left something so beautiful behind.

Imo, if she puts her Sochi LP together with her Saitama SP, she should be unbeatable by anyone in the world--even Yuna Kim. Even though the judges generally don't seem to recognize it... I hope, if/when she returns, she'll be able to put these programs together and win more and more titles.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Looks like she's visiting some super cool places. I hope she enjoys herself! (Anyone know what ice shows she's doing this year?)