Mao Asada | Page 163 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

gotoschool

Medalist
Yes, if you get a chance to see her in person, please grab it with both hands!

It is a precious and magical experience to be there watching her skate - or even just watching her practice. (eg. I saw her avert a collision during practice at the last GPF - but not by shouting a warning as most skaters would do. Instead, she clapped to let the other skater know where she was. And somehow that just seemed so much more dignified... and so very Mao)

And if you should be lucky enough to meet her off-ice as well... that is an experience you will never forget! There is an aura that surrounds her, you can actually feel it. And one look into those clear pure eyes, from that close... you will be hypnotised *_*

I know I have said this before but I totally agree about feeling that way when I met Mao in person and it was the power, directness and beauty of her eyes that was the most mesmerizing. I felt like I was learning how to speak for the first time and it felt like there was a rich, bright glow radiating around her. It felt like I entered into a dream. I lost all sense of politeness and my conversation faculties were stupefied. They say it is hardest to speak to the one whose skating you admire and adore the most and it was my first time at any kind of ice skating event so it probably hit me even harder. I am just glad I gave her a gift of the best things I wrote about her performances because it certainly was a lot better than what I could come up with in person.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
What are the chances of her being at both Skate America and Skate Canada so we can all see her skate in person?:p

I kid she'll likely be at NHK Trophy for one of her GPs but I have rinkside tickets for Skate Canada, if she comes I'm bringing her a giant bear

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's quite the experience, isn't it? :) I'll never forget the first time I saw her at the 2008 Worlds in Gothenberg.

If she manages to get Skate America; I'll definitely be there in October.

I'll be standing there on June 3 when the box office opens to buy my Skate America tickets. I can only hope Mao might be invited, although I don't think it's too likely. I also wonder if she prefers the competitions where she doesn't have to cope with the travel and jet lag; although I realize that's all part of skating! The suspense until the GP assignments is killing me. I would probably consider doing Skate Canada too, depending on who is assigned.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
She's been to every GP at one time or another... she has the distinction of being the first (only?) singles skater to win all 7 GP events.

So Skate America and Skate Canada are surely possibilities. Perhaps a little unlikely, given she's only been to SA twice (2006 and 2013) and SC once (2007)... but possibilities nonetheless.

But of course, personally, I am selfishly and greedily hoping she will go to Trophee de France in Paris... and make it to the GP Final in Marseille... and be in the World's team for Helsinki too...

By the way, Mao has competed in North America in many non-GP competitions, so US and Canada need not feel too neglected!
- 4CC Vancouver 2009
- Worlds in LA 2009
- Vancouver Olympics 2010
- GPF in Quebec 2011 (but of course tragically had to withdraw)
- 4CC Colorado Springs 2012
- Worlds in London Ontario 2013
- Worlds in Boston 2016

Barb

Record Breaker
She's been to every GP at one time or another... she has the distinction of being the first (only?) singles skater to win all 7 GP events.

So Skate America and Skate Canada are surely possibilities. Perhaps a little unlikely, given she's only been to SA twice (2006 and 2013) and SC once (2007)... but possibilities nonetheless.

But of course, personally, I am selfishly and greedily hoping she will go to Trophee de France in Paris... and make it to the GP Final in Marseille... and be in the World's team for Helsinki too...

By the way, Mao has competed in North America in many non-GP competitions, so US and Canada need not feel too neglected!
- 4CC Vancouver 2009
- Worlds in LA 2009
- Vancouver Olympics 2010
- GPF in Quebec 2011 (but of course tragically had to withdraw)
- 4CC Colorado Springs 2012
- Worlds in London Ontario 2013
- Worlds in Boston 2016

It is time she comes back to TEB :biggrin:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Is Mao one of the only skaters who has won every single Grand Prix AND the Grand Prix Final in her career? It's an amazing achievement :cheer:

mikaboo

Medalist
There was a press conference for Mao's The ICE today.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160518-00000117-sph-spo
She revealed her exhibition music to be a piece from Bach, but didn't say which one.
She spent 2 weeks with Lori Nichol where they finished choreographing the SP, FS and the exhibition programs. They are all new so no more Madame Butterfly.
Personally, I'm happy that she has 2 new competition programs and I love it when she skates to classical music at exhibitions :yes2:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
She revealed her exhibition music to be a piece from Bach, but didn't say which one.
She spent 2 weeks with Lori Nichol where they finished choreographing the SP, FS and the exhibition programs. They are all new so no more Madame Butterfly.
Personally, I'm happy that she has 2 new competition programs and I love it when she skates to classical music at exhibitions :yes2:

so happy to hear it. wow!! :yahoo:
i also love her ex with classical music.
how will be new costumes?

I'll be standing there on June 3 when the box office opens to buy my Skate America tickets. I can only hope Mao might be invited, although I don't think it's too likely. I also wonder if she prefers the competitions where she doesn't have to cope with the travel and jet lag; although I realize that's all part of skating! The suspense until the GP assignments is killing me. I would probably consider doing Skate Canada too, depending on who is assigned.
ive never heard such preference of her. does anyone know of it?
she once lived in us in her tat days. she seemed so happy at that time living a large house freeing from peoples attraction in japan.:) so i think she is favorable to there.

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker

At the first moment I was like "YES! A whole new set of programs and I LOVE it!!" But then I was thinking "it would be a lot nicer if TAT can choreograph one of it" But anyway still looking forward it!!!

mikaboo

Medalist
Another article says that her first competition next season will be Japan Open (Oct.1) again. I hope she doesn't peak there like she did last year!

At the first moment I was like "YES! A whole new set of programs and I LOVE it!!" But then I was thinking "it would be a lot nicer if TAT can choreograph one of it" But anyway still looking forward it!!!

I thought the same :biggrin:

hurrah

Medalist
Lovely to hear news about Mao's programs. She is such a beautiful flower, so untainted and clean. I am hoping that the recent spate of interest in making sports clean will mean that this time around, Mao will actually have a fighting chance to be awarded a OGM.

inskate

On the Ice

I hope for "Air on the G String" or "Cello Suite No.1 - Prelude" :love: Fugue/Toccata could be interesting, too, but that's more of TAT style of music... :laugh: I also love Prelude from Well-Tempered Clavier, but it would have to be mixed with something, as it's quite short.

da96103

Record Breaker
I hope for "Air on the G String" or "Cello Suite No.1 - Prelude" :love: Fugue/Toccata could be interesting, too, but that's more of TAT style of music... :laugh: I also love Prelude from Well-Tempered Clavier, but it would have to be mixed with something, as it's quite short.

That's the first Bach piece that I thought of when I read Mao would be doing Bach. Cello suite no. 1 Prelude. Mao would elevate the piece.

Barb

Record Breaker

:yahoo: :hap93:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to fan reports, apparently Mao cut her bangs wow. :roll9:

By the way, I found the video of her legendary SP with high quality sound. :yahoo:

My very selfish wish is, I really want to see Yuzuru or Shoma skate to the music one day I see that will be a great program as well. :love:

Hope your wish comes true! I think Shoma could do great with this! :rock:

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. My wish came true. Can't wait to see Shoma's version/program. :dance:

I'm very intrigued by the music for the long program. It will be really fun to see them both. I imagine he is working very hard to get them both ready - but hopefully he is still remembering that Uncle Dai told him to rest too!

yhmafan

Medalist
I'm very intrigued by the music for the long program. It will be really fun to see them both. I imagine he is working very hard to get them both ready - but hopefully he is still remembering that Uncle Dai told him to rest too!

Hahaha I realized these days that Shoma is quite stubborn kinda betraying his gentle appearance. :biggrin:

Last edited: