Mao Asada | Page 103 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

begin

Medalist
Because she can do a loop in the SP instead of a potential flutz, begin? I'm excited for her comeback!

Ah I didn't realize her SP is what's under discussion. Seems rather risky atm. Is her Olympic BV too low with the current rules?

I'm excited but nervous. Please kill it this season, Mao!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Mao's 3-3 at Worlds 2014 the 3Lo was marked as rotated and it was the 3F that was marked as UR, the 3F is not a problem jump for her, I don't know why people think it's so farfetched for her to come back with a rotated 3-3, her 3F-3Lo at Olympics that should have been marked as rotated was beautiful, really hope she keeps the 3F-3Lo combo in the long at least

gotoschool

Medalist
Mao's 3-3 at Worlds 2014 the 3Lo was marked as rotated and it was the 3F that was marked as UR, the 3F is not a problem jump for her, I don't know why people think it's so farfetched for her to come back with a rotated 3-3, her 3F-3Lo at Olympics that should have been marked as rotated was beautiful, really hope she keeps the 3F-3Lo combo in the long at least

As I said before, Mao's 3F / 3L in the Worlds 2014 LP was originally given very good +1.3 GOE by the judges which is consistent with the nice rotation indicated on instant replay. Like the one at Sochi, it should have also been marked as rotated. I also hope Mao keeps this beautiful combo.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist

I think Mao is definitely capable of doing a clean 3F-3Lo but whether the judges see that is a different story. They've been severe on her for years now and I don't know if that's changed.

urara

Rinkside
In an interview broadcast last night, Mao made it clear that she wants to give the best performance at the next Olympics.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37wdxa_0927-jo番宣-復帰の理由とは-彼女の魅力とは_sport
(1:34 shows a part of her LP. )

This is probably the first time that she speaks about the next Olympics.

Speaking personally, I didn't prefer her to compete at the next Olympics, because I thought Korea was not always a comfortable place for her.
But my worries were a waste of time:laugh: Sorry, Korea.
Besides, she has competed in Korea three times and won all of them.

So we can see her skate for three more seasons:clap:
That makes me happier than anything else.

yhmafan

Medalist
In an interview broadcast last night, Mao made it clear that she wants to give the best performance at the next Olympics.

Yes, I was :jaw: at this, mixed feelings. But I am happy for her that she became strongly‐motivated and showing her love for skating.
I am proud of being a fan of Mao :agree:

Barb

Record Breaker

Speaking personally, I didn't prefer her to compete at the next Olympics, because I thought Korea was not always a comfortable place for her.
But my worries were a waste of time:laugh: Sorry, Korea.
Besides, she has competed in Korea three times and won all of them.

So we can see her skate for three more seasons:clap:
That makes me happier than anything else.

Wow:dance:, wonderful news, it is great she is so motivated. I pray to she continue healthy.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I think Mao is definitely capable of doing a clean 3F-3Lo but whether the judges see that is a different story. They've been severe on her for years now and I don't know if that's changed.

Really, at this point, I think the panel sees a combo ending in a 3Lo and automatically assume it's going to be under-rotated and mark it as such... :rolleye:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist

GORGEOUS opening to the LP. I am dying with excitement.

I take Mao's statement about the next Olympics as an indication that her training is going well and she's feeling more and more confident about her condition. This is really encouraging. I'm not getting my hopes up for her about 2018 yet, but I look forward to seeing her in top form this season.

mary01

Final Flight
hey gotoschool, clear your private messages, i can't send you my message because your mailbox is soo full

Krunchii

Record Breaker
As I said before, Mao's 3F / 3L in the Worlds 2014 LP was originally given very good +1.3 GOE by the judges which is consistent with the nice rotation indicated on instant replay. Like the one at Sochi, it should have also been marked as rotated. I also hope Mao keeps this beautiful combo.

I guess this season will be interesting as a primer for what's to come, Mao is obviously way more refined than the rest of the field so I wonder if the judging will change at all when they compare her to the rest, the judges have been very lenient on certain skaters lately for their rotations, a little too generous imo

I hope she'll be healthy for the next Olympics though, if she wins gold there she will be the oldest gold medalist right? I don't think Korea will be a bad place for her, lots of fans can easily come over from Japan, the time difference isn't big and I'm sure Korea is okay with anyone who is not Russian winning. Many of my Korean friends respect Mao a lot actually.

gotoschool

Medalist
Can anyone translate what Liza and Adelina said?

I will give it a shot on the translation. I know a lot of the words are right , but I am not fluent so I had to guess some.

Basically, Liza says, "Dear Mao. Have patience for our meeting at the Japan Open. I wish you good luck in your training."

Adelina's says something like, "I hope she will build herself to be a strong athlete. I really want Mao to return. We will be competitors." But, the use of the word competitors is very close to the pronunciation of relatives: people you feel really close to. I have to admit I am guessing on this.

If anyone is fluent in Russian, please tell me if this is correct.

I cleared a few messages from my box, Mary01.

Thanks urara for the information about Mao deciding to stay for the next Olympics. I am definitely excited to see more of Mao's performances because no skater has ever affected me so profoundly emotionally, while being so artistic and athletic all at the same time.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
I guess this season will be interesting as a primer for what's to come, Mao is obviously way more refined than the rest of the field so I wonder if the judging will change at all when they compare her to the rest, the judges have been very lenient on certain skaters lately for their rotations, a little too generous imo

I hope she'll be healthy for the next Olympics though, if she wins gold there she will be the oldest gold medalist right? I don't think Korea will be a bad place for her, lots of fans can easily come over from Japan, the time difference isn't big and I'm sure Korea is okay with anyone who is not Russian winning. Many of my Korean friends respect Mao a lot actually.

Most Koreans think she's lovely. Basically anyone not named Sotnikova would be a welcomed winner in Pyeongchang but Mao especially so as she would be seen as the most deserving.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Next weekend is Ondrej Nepela Trophy in the Challenger Series...
...and the Logrono Junior Grand Prix, which may decide several places at the final in Barcelona...

But what I am most looking forward to, is Mao skating at Japan Open...!
The other skaters at JO are great too, but theyre just the icing on the cake :-D