solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm excited to see her SP! Wishing Mao the best at COC :cheer:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Hopefully Mao can cleanse this place of all the negative energy with her light, refreshing skating!

Barb

Record Breaker
Finally we will be watching her SP:popcorn: and again that sublime LP:love:. I hope she wear the red/pink costume for the SP. She should to get medal without problem.

Vili67

On the Ice
Few more days and waiting end.
I think that there should be no problem to win COC
My list of three best there.
1. Mao Asada
2. Elena Radionova
3. Riga Hongo

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Chinese website Sina.com ran a feature article on Mao yesterday.

http://bit.ly/1SnoE7z

It is nothing more than a chronicle of Mao's career to date, but written in an admiring–almost marveling–tone and accompanied by some really nice photos.

Towards the end, Lori Nichol was quoted as saying (in an interview from earlier this year), "I think people should no longer bring up topics like 'but she's already a world champion..,' 'there's no need for her to fight so hard..,' or 'quit at the peak..' Such views are so shallow. They completely underestimate the strength of the human will and trivialize a skater's passion for the sport. I have no doubt Mao Asada will continue skating!"

The last paragraph brought tears to my eyes:

She is a prodigy who blossomed at a young age. She is the first Asian figure skater to win three world titles. She has experienced amazing highs and crushing lows. She has yet to win an Olympic gold medal, but her name almost defines an era. She is Mao Asada, and her legend continues.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker

It is nothing more than a chronicle of Mao's career to date, but written in an admiring–almost marveling–tone and accompanied by some really nice photos.

Towards the end, Lori Nichol was quoted as saying (in an interview from earlier this year), "I think people should no longer bring up topics like 'but she's already a world champion..,' 'there's no need for her to fight so hard..,' or 'quit at the peak..' Such views are so shallow. They completely underestimate the strength of the human will and trivialize a skater's passion for the sport. I have no doubt Mao Asada will continue skating!"

She is a prodigy who blossomed at a young age. She is the first Asian figure skater to win three world titles. She has experienced amazing highs and crushing lows. She has yet to win an Olympic gold medal, but her name almost defines an era. She is Mao Asada, and her legend continues.

Wonderful article, thank you so much!

gotoschool

Medalist

Thanks for this article, largeman.

Here is a charming photo of Mao arriving in Beijing, China. Thanks to rosewood for the link. http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/b1869c8bjw1exotziw25yj20dc0hsack.jpg

I think it is so cute how Mao tries to hide her face in public places in such a stylish way with a hat that matches her gray and green plaid outfit. She is an incognito super star once again building up her incomparable air of mystery. I look forward to seeing Mao skate with all the heart, soul, guts and inspiration she has shown so many times before, as she combines it with her unrivaled quality of light grace that makes her an Iron Butterfly. I also look forward to seeing her reveal another side of herself that she has never expressed before. I wish Mao the very best in her performances. Ganbatte Mao!

From the interview with Lori Nichol:
She has evolved to become more aggressive, with more joy and curiosity, also liveliness. After experiencing such life experiences, she’s opens another door to the new world and is reborn.

This reminds me of Mao's rebirth after her incredible Sochi LP. I thought of her as the Ballerina Phoenix who soared up out of the ashes. I know she will continue this inspiring flight into the future.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Here is the translation of an inspirational interview with Lori Nichol about Mao. Thanks so much to cohkaix for posting. I hope cohkaix doesn't mind if I post it here. I edited it just a little in a few places. The only thing that kind of irritates me about this article is the first comments about Mao choosing to retire after her "painful" Sochi Olympic season. Mao herself said that Figure skating was wonderful at the end of the season. How many skaters win every Grand Prix event including the Grand Prix Final, Worlds, set a new world record in the SP and have tons of people on social media and announcers from around the world saying how her LP performance at Sochi was one of the greatest long programs in Olympic history? No wonder Lori felt like standing up for Mao so much in the article.

Q: I also want to discuss Mao Asada, who has decided to resume competitions and will soon take part in COC. Many people have made predictions that Mao would choose to retire after the painful Sochi Olympic season.
Lori: That’s perhaps the thought of some people. I’m not sure what to say. People always think differently. But for those who have doubted about Mao’s return, I just want to say to them: what kind of ideas or thoughts have you been holding to come to such shallow conclusion?

Q: That was because some may think: she’s already 25, and she’s won WC so many times and obtained the highest achievement. So from a certain viewpoint it’s already the highest level of fulfillment.
Lori: And so? It actually means nothing (for Mao) to discuss these. Her strong will and desire to continue skating is not constrained by her past achievements or failure. Carolina has proven this: she has been experienced the ups and downs of her competitive career and no one had thought highly of her prior to Sochi. But people with strong mindset can win over all these ‘impossibilities’. Their will and desire can be far more powerful than common prejudices.
I’ve always considered it is an important job to train the skaters for a stronger mindset and to inspire their courage. (Lori talks about the tragedy of losing her mother at such an young age)…and it took a long while for Mao to really recover from the tragic loss and return to her normal status of training. I always think that the loss of her mother happened too close to Sochi, and she had to bare the pressure from the Olympics soon afterwards. The pressure from participating in Olympics for any competitor is beyond imagination. They bare the expectations not only from the fans but also so much from their nations.

Q: Not to mention that Mao is from a country of such a FS tradition
L: Yes. But now it’s different. After the SP in Sochi, she has learned to let everything go, and now she can skate for the sake of her own passion for FS. I tell everyone: never feel less even if you’ve never won an Olympic gold medal. There are so many excellent athletes in the world who have never won Olympic gold (incl. Kurt Browning and Janet Lynn). None of them are Olympic gold medalist but that doesn’t make their lives less without the gold. I am very happy now (also encouraging her) that Mao has a very good team supporting her. I often tell her don't be afraid of the fact that she’s not an Olympic champion. I told her: you’ve experienced the loss of your mother and what’s more important now is that you’ve overcome the most difficult part and now you can re-group and start a new journey of joy and happiness in FS. You’ve reached the highest state of humanity, most of all, don’t forget where you began, and to pick up the happiness again while always looking forward; for these provide you with the power to overcome any difficulty. So, if returning to skating and competitions brings Mao happiness, then why not go for it?

Mao will only be better, not only in competitions, but most of all, she is willing to reach for a higher level. And she is willing to do anything (to reach her goal). Of course there are means other than figure skating. But if skating helps her through the process of reaching a higher level, she will keep on. Figure skating is such a cruel sport and full of difficulties. Only competitors with strong desire and will-power will be able to stay and keep competing. Right now Mao in her mind and body is stronger than any time in the past. I can feel deeply her change when collaborating with her: the dark cloud lingering in her mind has all gone. She has evolved to become more aggressive, with more joy and curiosity, also liveliness. After experiencing such life experiences, she’s opens another door to the new world and is reborn.

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
I'm getting very nervous for Mao now. I would like for her to win, but then if she does well she'll have to go to Grand Prix Finals whivch might tire her out, so a part of me wants her to just not go to Finals so she'll be well-rested for Worlds, but then I actually want to see her skating at her best.

The bottom line is, I'm just excited about seeing her new short and to see her skating.