Mao Asada | Page 120 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

firal

Record Breaker
I thought she looked a little disappointed with her score too. But she on the ice she looked so relaxed and graceful! Love the matching lip-color! :cool14: Bring the house down again for the FP Mao-chan!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought she looked a little disappointed with her score too. But she on the ice she looked so relaxed and graceful! Love the matching lip-color! :cool14: Bring the house down again for the FP Mao-chan!

I loved the matching lip color as well :clapper:

And although she might've been disappointed with the score, it leaves plenty of room to increase in future competitions! At NHK, I'm sure she'll be well received in Japan :agree:

CarneAsada

Medalist
I'm not sure she simply wants to beat her competitors and win things. She already has 3 world titles and won everything so many times. I think she simply wants to challenge herself and enjoy her skating to the best of her abilities. In the past I would not support this sp layout, but now I simply hope she can make it better and better. And I know she can.
Exactly. I don't care about whether Mao wins anymore. No woman since Kwan has won as many World Titles as she has. What I want to see is her skating to the best of her ability and breaking new ground, both in her programs and in her jumps. Anyone can win a crappy Worlds where everyone falls; only Mao can attempt a SP with 3A and 3F-3Lo. If her goal is to fix her 3Lutz for the ultimate SP, more power to her.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I dream of some alternative universe where Mao skated last and 6.0 was still around, and her entire score sheet was nothing but 6.0s and a few stray 5.9s that the crowd booed.

In all seriousness, that was wonderful. She seemed to have so much fun out there. Good to see her back--and in such form.

I still can't believe she went for that layout. Then again, it's Mao. Few skaters past or present took as many risks as she did, and certainly none under a system so unforgiving to the things she tries.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly. I don't care about whether Mao wins anymore. No woman since Kwan has won as many World Titles as she has. What I want to see is her skating to the best of her ability and breaking new ground, both in her programs and in her jumps. Anyone can win a crappy Worlds where everyone falls; only Mao can attempt a SP with 3A and 3F-3Lo. If her goal is to fix her 3Lutz for the ultimate SP, more power to her.

This!!!! :points:

I said it in the CoC SP thread but when I watch Mao Skate I just say to myself ... "that looks like someone doing what they were meant to do". Nothing is forced and I think that is her charm and how she overcomes the minor errors that harm others so badly. She is just fun to watch skate and it's impossible for me not to want her to do her best. Regardless of the outcomes and whatever the judges do with her scores.

That said....she looks to be a safe bet barring any major errors. Go Mao. So glad she's back.

Last edited:

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
I dream of some alternative universe where Mao skated last and 6.0 was still around, and her entire score sheet was nothing but 6.0s and a few stray 5.9s that the crowd booed.

That's incredible :laugh: (I'm sure I would've booed too if I was an audience member :drama:)

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wishing Mao nothing but the best. I'm looking forward to her performance! :cheer:

gotoschool

Medalist
Congratulations to Mao on her win. Mao's triple axel was magnificent and her second triple loop and triple salchow was really nice. Her expression and skating skills were wonderful especially in the step sequence. She really brought out the longing and melancholy of Madame Butterfly. I agree with those like minze who say it would be better for Mao to replace her 3lutz. She only got around 5 points on 2 attempts including an e and a ! call with a 2Lutz and step out. I thought of this when I saw Rika Hongo's protocol sheet. One of the main reasons Mao won is because Rika got a ! and an e on her two triple lutz attempts in her LP. I just don't want to see Mao lose because she could easily do a triple salchow or triple toe in the short and a double axel in the long and get around 10 points, and she wouldn't have to worry about that triple lutz edge call anymore.

Other people have mentioned Mao's sleeve coming up her arm in the LP on the entrance to her 3F / 3L. I noticed this happened both times she had difficulty with the 3F / 3L combo in her LP, but without the sleeve riding up her arm she did it much better in the SP. I hope she secures it so it doesn't move before she performs next. I wish Mao all the best in coming back strong.

A possible alternate would be for Mao to go the challenging hero route by replacing the 3 lutz with 2 triple axels in the LP like she did in 2009 / 2010 and drop either a triple flip or triple loop. It would take some of the stress off of getting the 3F / 3 L landed and ratified and even if it was a ur or two footed, it would still count at least as much as a triple lutz with an !. Plus, Mao has done 2 triple axels in an LP quite a few times before from 2008 - 2010. Mao got a +1.86 GOE on her triple axel in the China Open LP and it along with the triple axel she did in the Worlds 2014 SP was the most beautiful triple axel I have ever seen.

These are just my thoughts. I am not saying they are right. But, I just want Mao to play to her strengths.

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
Congratulations on the win at CoC Mao. Probably not the skate she was hoping for, but it's better to leave lots of room for improvement for later in the season! :yes:

Vili67

On the Ice
Few more days and waiting end.
I think that there should be no problem to win COC
My list of three best there.
1. Mao Asada
2. Elena Radionova
3. Riga Hongo

Almost get my podium right.
Mao was good but not so good that i expect.
Riga i see live in Finlandia trophy and today she was eaven better.
But what can i say Mao is back.:thank:
And that program and no misses i think totaly 220 points is possible for her.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Mao was beautiful despite many mistakes... and most importantly, she's on track for the grand prix final.

My view is, that was probably the lowest she will score this season... and yet it was still enough to win, even against Rika who was pretty much on fire in both programs... thanks to her 3A's, and her huge PCS.

Franklin99

Medalist
So Mao got a ratified 3A in both SP and LP at the same event. When was the last time since the 2010 Olympics did this happen?

yhmafan

Medalist
Congratulations on the win at CoC Mao. Probably not the skate she was hoping for, but it's better to leave lots of room for improvement for later in the season! :yes:

Hehe yeah, she might not feel super happy for that but I thought the same thing as you. Anyway, congratulations on your gold Maooo :hap10:

:bow: Her 3A :bow: SUPER GIRL!!