Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada

Custom Title
    Here is an article I found translated into English in which Mao talks about retirement and how she feels about skating the last few years. I can't find the website anymore, so I am just pasting the content.

SAITAMA, Japan - Japanese figure skater Mao Asada said Sunday, the day after winning the world title, that she needed more time to decide when to retire from competition.
    Asada, the runner-up to South Korean star Kim Yu-Na at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, has kept her fans and skating officials in suspense by saying she had a "50-50 chance" of continuing to compete after this season.
    "What I feel is that I need some rest now," the 23-year-old told reporters during an exhibition after the season-closing world figure skating championships in Saitama near Tokyo.
    "I have struggled for three years as I could not skate the way I wanted and jump the way I wanted," she said.
    "I had thought about staking my career on the Sochi Olympic season," she added.
    In Sochi last month, Asada botched her trademark triple axel and other jumps. But she came back brilliantly in the free skate.
    She improved further at the world championships before her home fans.
    Asada broke Kim's short programme world record and topped the free skate section to win her third women's title following her triumphs in 2008 and 2010.
    On Sunday, she said her free skating in Sochi and her overall performance in Saitama was the level she had been seeking to produce ever since Vancouver.
    "I am finally beginning to really get a grip of how I can perform," she said.
    "But you need to set a goal and have a lot of determination to stay on. If such things don't come out naturally, I don't think I can do it," she added. "I don't think there is any need for me to come to an immediate decision." Asada has been a poster girl for Japanese figure skating since winning her first Grand Prix Final title in 2005 to begin a longtime rivalry with Kim, a fellow 23-year-old.

Quote Originally Posted by gotoschool View Post
    Here is an article I found translated into English in which Mao talks about retirement and how she feels about skating the last few years. I can't find the website anymore, so I am just pasting the content.

SAITAMA, Japan - Japanese figure skater Mao Asada said Sunday, the day after winning the world title, that she needed more time to decide when to retire from competition.
    Asada, the runner-up to South Korean star Kim Yu-Na at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, has kept her fans and skating officials in suspense by saying she had a "50-50 chance" of continuing to compete after this season.
    "What I feel is that I need some rest now," the 23-year-old told reporters during an exhibition after the season-closing world figure skating championships in Saitama near Tokyo.
    "I have struggled for three years as I could not skate the way I wanted and jump the way I wanted," she said.
    "I had thought about staking my career on the Sochi Olympic season," she added.
    In Sochi last month, Asada botched her trademark triple axel and other jumps. But she came back brilliantly in the free skate.
    She improved further at the world championships before her home fans.
    Asada broke Kim's short programme world record and topped the free skate section to win her third women's title following her triumphs in 2008 and 2010.
    On Sunday, she said her free skating in Sochi and her overall performance in Saitama was the level she had been seeking to produce ever since Vancouver.
    "I am finally beginning to really get a grip of how I can perform," she said.
    "But you need to set a goal and have a lot of determination to stay on. If such things don't come out naturally, I don't think I can do it," she added. "I don't think there is any need for me to come to an immediate decision." Asada has been a poster girl for Japanese figure skating since winning her first Grand Prix Final title in 2005 to begin a longtime rivalry with Kim, a fellow 23-year-old.
    Exactly, I really like this statement, she should take her time and think about it, and with time she will know whether her heart still wants to continue or not. In fact the time away from skating might revive her passion for competitive skating even more and make her more fired up (or atleast that's what I'm secretly hoping for ). if a goal or new challenge is what she she is searching for, let her think, i hope she will find passion and a purpose to continue skating. I will be waiting patiently, and eagerly hoping for her to resume her fabulous skating career.

Custom Title
    Here is another link from this site that is a short biography of Mao's life and skating career with many of her quotes translated in English and centered around her Sochi free-skate. Maybe you have already seen it, but I just wanted to share it because it is so beautiful, inspiring but also heartbreaking.

The Last Dance of Mao Asada
    Now in English
    http://www.asahi.com/olympics/sochi2...omtop_rnavi_r1

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Here is a photo I found on VK that shows the medalists from WC prior to or just after the medal ceremony. I'd love to hear how they communicate with each other considering they all speak different languages.

http://vk.com/albums-31036833?z=phot...hotos-31036833

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Here is a photo I found on VK that shows the medalists from WC prior to or just after the medal ceremony. I'd love to hear how they communicate with each other considering they all speak different languages.

http://vk.com/albums-31036833?z=phot...hotos-31036833
    Thanks for the photo it's lovely

I also just found this:

http://instagram.com/p/mX1ZWgnH7v/#

Mao with Misha, with a comment from him about Mao's performance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    Oh no, Misha! Who else, except you, would pick up a shirt like this to wear at the ISU's post-comp party?! Every beautiful and gorgeous girl/lady skaters may look 'overshadowed' beside you.

^

Custom Title
    OK, don't know if I have said it or not. I become a Mao fan now. She should have won the LP in Sochi and her skating at World was just beautiful. Mao had been treated badly for a long time. Her 3As which were marked < were much better than some of the male skaters' that got full credit. Anyway, I'm just happy to see her coming back with a perfect SP and a perfect LP that will go down in history as the best FS, maybe forever.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    I don't know if this video has been posted yet.

Mao's LP in Sochi with Tarasova's comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kGe6Sulrak

I don't know what she says during the performance, but in the end apparently she said (thanks to someone on YT translation):

"Brava. Thank you, Mao. Thank you very much.
    For her effort,
    For that she is a great player,
    For that she overcame herself,
    I want to say, thank you very much.
    And for her tears, too."

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I don't know if this video has been posted yet.

Mao's LP in Sochi with Tarasova's comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kGe6Sulrak

I don't know what she says during the performance, but in the end apparently she said (thanks to someone on YT translation):

"Brava. Thank you, Mao. Thank you very much.
    For her effort,
    For that she is a great player,
    For that she overcame herself,
    I want to say, thank you very much.
    And for her tears, too."
    I know Tarasova can be rude at times but I gotta say, when I first her at the Vancouver Olympics with Mao, it was actually kind of touching to see their interactions with one another. The warm hugs and smiles, the constant soft pats on her back, and wiping Mao's forehead for her, Tarasova seemed to really cherished Mao (or maybe that's just how I saw it).

But thanks for sharing the video, Alba. It's nice to hear what Tarasova had to say about Mao after 4 years since their split.

If Mao stays, I want her to only do nationals and worlds. She has all GP events 4cc titles. If she stays I want some of the heavy load if leading Japan ladies taken off her shoulders.

Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    If Mao stays, I want her to only do nationals and worlds. She has all GP events 4cc titles. If she stays I want some of the heavy load if leading Japan ladies taken off her shoulders.

Thoughts
    I really can't imagine Mao doing that, maybe if she wants to take one season of, or part of this upcoming season to rest, but otherwise I'm not seeing that happening it's just soo unlike her to do that. Personally I would like to see her attend the GP, there still is a few records she could break there, but that can wait. maybe taking a rest next season might be a good idea, I am afraid that if she just continues that she will only continue for a short period, due to lack of motivation or goal. That's why I want her to take a break so that she can come back with more motivation, energy and a goal, that may also make her look at skating in a different way then before.

I think that Mao feels she need some competitions before used to her programs, so if she do the same like yuna, just nationals and worlds she will feel very nervous. May be she should skip all this season and comeback the next one, if she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    I think that Mao feels she need some competitions before used to her programs, so if she do the same like yuna, just nationals and worlds she will feel very nervous. May be she should skip all this season and comeback the next one, if she wants.
    That's how I feel. I prefer all or nothing and it seems to be her thing anyway. Take a year off and hit the reset button then come back completely refreshed. Her fans aren't going anywhere.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sajoya View Post
    I know Tarasova can be rude at times but I gotta say, when I first her at the Vancouver Olympics with Mao, it was actually kind of touching to see their interactions with one another. The warm hugs and smiles, the constant soft pats on her back, and wiping Mao's forehead for her, Tarasova seemed to really cherished Mao (or maybe that's just how I saw it).

But thanks for sharing the video, Alba. It's nice to hear what Tarasova had to say about Mao after 4 years since their split.
    I don't think there was a bad split. I think she always loved Mao as a skater.
    I read an interview at the time and Tarasova was very sick. Also her sister (or mother?) was very sick and died later, her husband as well died in 2011.
    She said that given the circumstances, her health problems, she couldn't coach Mao full time, but she still did the coreo for Mao's SP in 2011 and 2012, and LP's coreo fro 2013 and 2014.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast