Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    If Mao stays, I want her to only do nationals and worlds. She has all GP events 4cc titles. If she stays I want some of the heavy load if leading Japan ladies taken off her shoulders.

Thoughts
    Ah... but she is so close to setting two new world records in the Grand Prix series...

Currently joint record holder with Slutskaya for number of Grand Prix final gold medals (4)
    Currently 2nd highest number (14) of grand prix series gold medals, behind Slutskaya (17)

:-D

mao mao mao where do i start??
    every time i watch her 2014 worlds short and free skate, the commentators have to keep reminding me that this is going to be "her last competition ever". i'm trying to tell myself it'll be okay, but honestly it's impossible to imagine ladies figure skating without mao asada. she's given so much to this sport and to us, the fans, that a skating world where mao's name doesn't exist seems strange. whenever i see mao, im overcome with a joy and sadness that's indescribable. she's been through so much for so long and all along, she's been transparent about herself and her career.
    what i love about mao's skating is her passion. again, transparency. you can tell she means and feels every little movement she makes out there and she's grown so so so so much over the past 4-5 years.
    there are many reasons im sad to see her go, not just because she's done so much for figure skating. i mean, it makes sense to end your career with one of the most amazing performances of your life. (her short program at worlds brought me to tears.) and the more i think about it, the more im afraid she's going to make that decision to end it with a flourish. but i really hope she continues to skate at least another season, if not the upcoming season, the one after that.
    i was watching one of her 2009 programs yesterday and it really struck me how different she seemed then and at worlds this year. near the end of this season, i feel like she's really learned to let go of the competition and just enjoy the skate. she's more free with her expressions and she smiles considerably more during her program (which makes me bAWL MY EYES OUT). also, she's one of the few skaters i feel a human, emotional, empathetic connection to. her story has only grown richer over the years, which adds onto the overall amazingness that is the Mao Asada. shes not the cleanest skater but shes someone i can anticipate no matter how crappy one competition was.
    and if she does keep competing i hope she does it for skating's sake and not just to win. mao's such an inspiration and role model in a special way that yuna will never quite get to. sure, it'd be nice to win a medal or title but it really makes me the happiest when the skater is happy with their own skating and where they are in life (which is the #1 reason i cried about every single one of carolina's performances this season. yeah i cry about skating a lot).
    i could go on for ages about mao and how amazing i think she is but i should probably shut up

Custom Title
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...5-spnannex-spo

According to the persons concerned, Mao won't be able to decide her future in April because she is busy with all the shows in Japan. She has turned down to show up in the various events in May as much as she can in order to take thought of her future, and she is planning to go abroad in June to make her new EX program which she will perform in THE ICE. If she decides to compete in the next season, she is going to make her competitive programs along with her EX. Miss Hashimoto from JSF said, "She can take her time (to think about her future), we don't have any problem if she can't decide in April."

Tripping on the Podium figureskateobasan's Avatar
    oh no... i am not ready yet to hear any of her decision..

Quote Originally Posted by figureskateobasan View Post
    oh no... i am not ready yet to hear any of her decision..
    Me neither, I'm quite scared, hopefully she just takes a good break and then returns, god how I'm praying for that.

by the way I found this right now, it looks like a Museum about Mao, where they display her costumes, competitive and private pictures as well as medals from her career. It looks soo incredible. one would expect a museum/exhibition to be made after a skater has passed away, or atleast once they have retired from their profession, but to get one while still competing

This got to be the most interesting and fascinating museum there is, another place on my list I have to visit once I travel to japan, anyway here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw4xTZsgaMg

tripping on the toe pick
    http://mainichi.jp/graph/2014/04/12/...2000c/018.html

In case somebody hasn't heard... Mao and Yuzu recently received Guinness certificate for their WR SP scores. More links for pics and vids from the event can be found in the Yuzuru thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nimi View Post
    http://mainichi.jp/graph/2014/04/12/...2000c/018.html

In case somebody hasn't heard... Mao and Yuzu recently received Guinness certificate for their WR SP scores. More links for pics and vids from the event can be found in the Yuzuru thread.
    Thaanks for telling, I had no idea

Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    Me neither, I'm quite scared, hopefully she just takes a good break and then returns, god how I'm praying for that.

by the way I found this right now, it looks like a Museum about Mao, where they display her costumes, competitive and private pictures as well as medals from her career. It looks soo incredible. one would expect a museum/exhibition to be made after a skater has passed away, or atleast once they have retired from their profession, but to get one while still competing

This got to be the most interesting and fascinating museum there is, another place on my list I have to visit once I travel to japan, anyway here is the video:

And it has been reported that it has drawn record breaking crowds. I love the way Japanese people love their Mao.

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    And it has been reported that it has drawn record breaking crowds. I love the way Japanese people love their Mao.
    That's awesome, but I really didn't expect anything less, when I think about the TV rating that's been reported every time she appears in a TV show and in competition. The sponsors must be very pleased too, she is the safest and best investment they could make. even for people who don't follow figure skating, just knowing her achievement, personality, and the personal struggle she's been through should be reason enough to be curious about her and to want to know more about her.

Custom Title

It's not a museum. It's like a temporary exhibition. I was there yesterday and it was amazing. The Vancouver medal is gorgeous.
    And soooooo many people were there. I was there at 10:10am, 10 minutes after the opening, and I had to queue like in Disneyland, turning here and there, queuing up and down the staircase. Took me 15 minutes of waiting time to get in.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by luckykid View Post
    It's not a museum. It's like a temporary exhibition. I was there yesterday and it was amazing. The Vancouver medal is gorgeous.
    And soooooo many people were there. I was there at 10:10am, 10 minutes after the opening, and I had to queue like in Disneyland, turning here and there, queuing up and down the staircase. Took me 15 minutes of waiting time to get in.
    Mao Asada exhibition draws record crowd in Tokyo
    10,000 visitors in the first day...

Not really surprising, given it's just an exhibition (not permanent), and Mao is so popular.
    A lot of people must want to see it, but they have a limited time to do it.

It's doing a bit of a "tour" though, moving to different cities over the next few months. So it won't disappear for a while yet.

I dont know how Mao is so down to earth being so famous

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    I dont know how Mao is so down to earth being so famous
    It's quite puzzling, she most be immune to her surroundings

It's quite puzzling, she most be immune to her surroundings
    I know. Kurt Browning has this story: every time they go to Japan they play find Mao because she is everywhere, supermarkets, malls, TV, billboards. Everywhere. He also said that when they go out as a group Mao is not able to go because she is so famous I guess her outings must be plan for security reasons. Fascinating

Tripping on the Podium figureskateobasan's Avatar
    It's good that she's very down to earth! All the Japanese ladies that I've been talking to about Olympics always mention "Mao-chan this mao-chan that" despite the skyrocketing Hanyu

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast