Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 334

Thread: Mao Asada

  1. #226
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by figureskateobasan View Post
    It's good that she's very down to earth! All the Japanese ladies that I've been talking to about Olympics always mention "Mao-chan this mao-chan that" despite the skyrocketing Hanyu

    Well, Yuzuru himself said that his outings have to be planned now, so I guess Mao has company in the hotel now

  2. #227
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    246
    Hello. My first post on Mao's thread.

    Mao visited her own exhibition yesterday.
    This article contains lots of lovely photos while she was there. her dress.
    http://www.asahi.com/articles/photo/...414000321.html

    The exhibition in Tokyo ends on April 21st and there is no entrance fee to see it!
    http://www.takashimaya.co.jp/store/s...ent/asada.html

  3. #228
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaboo View Post
    Hello. My first post on Mao's thread.

    Mao visited her own exhibition yesterday.
    This article contains lots of lovely photos while she was there. her dress.
    http://www.asahi.com/articles/photo/...414000321.html



    The exhibition in Tokyo ends on April 21st and there is no entrance fee to see it!
    http://www.takashimaya.co.jp/store/s...ent/asada.html
    Thank you

  4. #229
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    2,434
    Hello, is there anybody here from Japan? I would like to ask a question. There is a poster said something about Mao and the sponsors of ISU. So I just want to make it clear. Here is the post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubirosa View Post
    Not sure about the whole country but ISU and JSF will have their tough days to begin.

    How reliable this Chinese cource is? The numbers they bring are just awful. They say it's all based on Japanese media but they bring only one source that doesn't have any numbers http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...007944310.html

    The Chinese cource (google translator) says JSF takes 20% from her advertising awards and 95%" from her total annual salary. Is it a joke? http://sports.qq.com/a/20140410/019846.htm

    They also say:

    If Asada retired, it will slip joint and Japan as well as tricky ISU. Japan is the most popular national figure skating, Fuji TV's exclusive rights to broadcast the world championships, "need to pay an annual ISU 2 billion yen (about 12 million yuan) more than the cost." After retiring Miki Ando, ​​Asada became Japan skating only guarantee of box office, "If Asada retired then, ISU loses to further open Fuji expensive emboldened." Moreover, ISU's 13 official sponsors, there are 11 from Japan, "which includes Asada's sponsors - Sato Pharmaceutical and Sumitomo Life, the two companies are planning to retire, then Asada, also quit sponsorship."

    Mao must be under serious pressure to continue, they need her money. I personally think she will be better off without them unless they change the system (if chinese source is correct).

  5. #230
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Hello, is there anybody here from Japan? I would like to ask a question. There is a poster said something about Mao and the sponsors of ISU. So I just want to make it clear. Here is the post:
    I think this is discussed in Mao forum http://www.maoasadaforum.com/t1282p2...s-and-articles

  6. #231
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    2,434
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    I think this is discussed in Mao forum http://www.maoasadaforum.com/t1282p2...s-and-articles
    Thank you so much. I am still sock over the cut that JFS getting from Mao. They are so greedy.

  7. #232
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Hello, is there anybody here from Japan? I would like to ask a question. There is a poster said something about Mao and the sponsors of ISU. So I just want to make it clear. Here is the post:
    I dont trust that article.

    First Mao has an agent that negotiates her endorsments and contracts for her. If JSF is getting 95% what are the agents getting?
    Yes, some of the JSF sponsors are there because of Mao, but she also has personal sponsors
    I do think her federation takes a big cut of her money maybe 50% but not 95%. Remember it was said before that they cover a lot of her training cost, so that is probably why they take such a big cut.

    However, I will say they need Mao more than Mao needing them

  8. #233
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Too Close to the Equator.
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    I dont trust that article.

    First Mao has an agent that negotiates her endorsments and contracts for her. If JSF is getting 95% what are the agents getting?
    Yes, some of the JSF sponsors are there because of Mao, but she also has personal sponsors
    I do think her federation takes a big cut of her money maybe 50% but not 95%. Remember it was said before that they cover a lot of her training cost, so that is probably why they take such a big cut.

    However, I will say they need Mao more than Mao needing them
    JSF is not really greedy. They spent so much money supporting skaters and promoting the sports. Yuzuru's training definitely cost them a fortune. They even recruit the former Japanese skaters back during summer time to help coaching younger generation. All those expenses, plane tickets, hotel and boarding are very expensive but they are willingly to pay. At lease we saw how they spend the money. Japanese people are very duty-bound consciousness in general. Dai, Mao or Yuzuru are no different.

  9. #234
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    JSF is not really greedy. They spent so much money supporting skaters and promoting the sports. Yuzuru's training definitely cost them a fortune. They even recruit the former Japanese skaters back during summer time to help coaching younger generation. All those expenses, plane tickets, hotel and boarding are very expensive but they are willingly to pay. At lease we saw how they spend the money. Japanese people are very duty-bound consciousness in general. Dai, Mao or Yuzuru are no different.
    I hope you are right, because even 50% seems ALOT, afterall Mao is the one working long hours everyday to earn what she does, and to think that they are getting more then this would be totally crazy, I bet Mao's training and management does not cost half of her earnings she gets from sponsorships alone, heck not even 10 % of it, so where does the rest of the money go to, that the JSF gets?
    but hearing she has an agent that negotiates on her behalf is quite relieving, especially after reading these reports.

    now I finally understand why Murakami was so eager to retire, it's a bit crazy to think about it, but it seems like the skaters can keep all their money from their sponsors when they are retired, so in fact they would earn more as retired skaters. I personally think that the contracts with the JSF really encourages the skaters to retire early.

  10. #235
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Too Close to the Equator.
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    I hope you are right, because even 50% seems ALOT, afterall Mao is the one working long hours everyday to earn what she does, and to think that they are getting more then this would be totally crazy, I bet Mao's training and management does not cost half of her earnings she gets from sponsorships alone, heck not even 10 % of it, so where does the rest of the money go to, that the JSF gets?
    but hearing she has an agent that negotiates on her behalf is quite relieving, especially after reading these reports.
    If you think about the news, it was too absurd. I'm not saying that the reporter pull the information out of thin air but Asian reporters tend to exaggerate the sources to degrade their nearby countries. It happens not just about sports but also politic, economic and cultural too.

    When Yuzuru donated the Olympic prize money to the charity, if the 90% cut is real the amount of money might not be big enough to generate the news. Japanese reporters are very famous for digging up the dirty laundry if you ask me.

  11. #236
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    If you think about the news, it was too absurd. I'm not saying that the reporter pull the information out of thin air but Asian reporters tend to exaggerate the sources to degrade their nearby countries. It happens not just about sports but also politic, economic and cultural too.

    When Yuzuru donated the Olympic prize money to the charity, if the 90% cut is real the amount of money might not be big enough to generate the news. Japanese reporters are very famous for digging up the dirty laundry if you ask me.
    I hope you are right about everything, it's just because there hasn't been any reports about Mao's income, and when there is no information about it, it's easier to believe the first thing you hear about this subject.

  12. #237
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Too Close to the Equator.
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    I hope you are right about everything, it's just because there hasn't been any reports about Mao's income, and when there is no information about it, it's easier to believe the first thing you hear about this subject.
    I read from another thread around here that Mao keep all her financial information in the closure. Not just Mao but also most of Japanese skaters keeps their that ways too. One of my Japanese friend who come from a prominent family told me a long time ago that part of the reason is due to avoid the risk of extortion. Might be one of Mao's reason too.

  13. #238
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    I read from another thread around here that Mao keep all her financial information in the closure. Not just Mao but also most of Japanese skaters keeps their that ways too. One of my Japanese friend who come from a prominent family told me a long time ago that part of the reason is due to avoid the risk of extortion. Might be one of Mao's reason too.
    could you specify what you mean with extortion? it's not the first time I have heard that Mao keeps her income private, but never quite understood the reason behind it

  14. #239
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Too Close to the Equator.
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    could you specify what you mean with extortion? it's not the first time I have heard that Mao keeps her income private, but never quite understood the reason behind it
    First of all, many of Japanese cultures are different from western even with other Asian cultures. They tends to keep all aspects of their lives private. Remember Mao's mother, she didn't allow Mao to let anyone knew about her illness. About extortion, as I said, it might be part of the reason, also that just my guessing. One of my best friends from University is Japanese. Her family owns one of the big chains department stores not just in Japan but also in some other Asian countries as well. She tried to kept her identity secret. She told me the reason was to gave her parents some peace of mind. Family members can get abducted to use as a bargaining chips very easily. Extortion for lump sum of money plays a big part in most of the abductions. The same as it happens very frequently with family members of Football Players (in Europe and Latin America).

  15. #240
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    First of all, many of Japanese cultures are different from western even with other Asian cultures. They tends to keep all aspects of their lives private. Remember Mao's mother, she didn't allow Mao to let anyone knew about her illness. About extortion, as I said, it might be part of the reason, also that just my guessing. One of my best friends from University is Japanese. Her family owns one of the big chains department stores not just in Japan but also in some other Asian countries as well. She tried to kept her identity secret. She told me the reason was to gave her parents some peace of mind. Family members can get abducted to use as a bargaining chips very easily. Extortion for lump sum of money plays a big part in most of the abductions. The same as it happens very frequently with family members of Football Players (in Europe and Latin America).
    That makes perfect sense, and I totally understand this mindset if that is the reason for keeping her income secret, in the end it is a private matter and it doesn't concern anyone how much she earns. There is little to gain and more to loose by exposing it for the reasons you mentioned, and Mao does seem very private in general. The fact that her mother was so deadly sick for so long without anyone knowing or having the slightest idea , not even her coach, shows how private she is. There were also many different occasions when it really stuck me how private she was and how little we actually knew about her outside competitive life, like when she lost a lot of weight after her mothers death there was not a sound of explanation, but we could all see was how she physically changed. When I think back at those times it's quite admirable how she found the strength to continue compete, and recover on her own.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •