Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada

Custom Title
    Certanly extorsion could be a reason. Another could be simple. Nobody should care about how much Mao earns.

I will guess a manager mades 10%-20% of all the deals, so I don´t think JSF is getting a lot, or any money from Mao. It certanly could be a reason of popularity and tickets sells. Mao is the most popular figure skater in Japan, and maybe tickets will be less fast to sell. But as Bernie Ecclestone would say if F1 survived the death of Senna and the retirment of Schumacher (twice) certanly figure skating in Japan will be fine if Mao decide to retire, at least on the moeny side.

On the other hand don´t know if Kanako can keep the 3 positions for the ladies of Japan in worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    That makes perfect sense, and I totally understand this mindset if that is the reason for keeping her income secret, in the end it is a private matter and it doesn't concern anyone how much she earns. There is little to gain and more to loose by exposing it for the reasons you mentioned, and Mao does seem very private in general. The fact that her mother was so deadly sick for so long without anyone knowing or having the slightest idea , not even her coach, shows how private she is. There were also many different occasions when it really stuck me how private she was and how little we actually knew about her outside competitive life, like when she lost a lot of weight after her mothers death there was not a sound of explanation, but we could all see was how she physically changed. When I think back at those times it's quite admirable how she found the strength to continue compete, and recover on her own.
    Exactly. That's why today I'm so glad to see her enjoy her meal during the broadcast. She is too skinny.

Tripping on the Podium figureskateobasan's Avatar
    I think JSF fund came from the government, isn't it? I mean they are the country's official federation. So like what the other poster said, Mao's endorsement fee should be divided between the agency and her.

BusyMom, she doesn't look that skinny to me.. I think she was look like a skeleton 4 years ago during the Vancouver Olympic season.. I think I remember her current coach made her gained some weight in order to re-polish her jump or something..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by figureskateobasan View Post
    BusyMom, she doesn't look that skinny to me.. I think she was look like a skeleton 4 years ago during the Vancouver Olympic season.. I think I remember her current coach made her gained some weight in order to re-polish her jump or something..
    What do you think? 2010 http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/zyn7Z...kw78/Mao+Asada
    2012 http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/j2mU6...lfXp/Mao+Asada

I didn't mean skinny in the sense of criticism way. More like a parental POV. I don't care about her weight. I love to see young people enjoy food in general. We live in a crucial world. All the young girls grow up under the pretense of having the perfect body, in their case the supermodel perfection. That scares me to the death. I am 5f2 and 95pounds but no longer fit into the dress size S. I have been in the same size for most of my adulthood. My body doesn't change but the fashion size does. Half of the girls in my country now wear size XS which is too fit for my 12-years old daughter who weight 50 pounds. Anyway, it not irrelevant in Mao case. Hers are more about training and the pressures from competition, I think.

Custom Title
    If you watch Mao's older (2011?) DVD... you'll realise what a miracle it is, how slim she is.

Because wow, SHE LOVES TO EAT!!! O_o

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    If you watch Mao's older (2011?) DVD... you'll realise what a miracle it is, how slim she is.

Because wow, SHE LOVES TO EAT!!! O_o
    yes especially in the first Sheherazard dress.

tripping on the toe pick
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Half of the girls in my country now wear size XS which is too fit for my 12-years old daughter who weight 50 pounds.
    I've had my struggles with body image issues and disordered eating even though in my part of the world girls/women aren't expected to be nowhere near that petite. (At 1.67m and 60kg I'm considered "normal size": my dress size is usually M but sometimes S.) I can totally understand your parental concern! I wish you and your daughter best of luck in building her self-esteem <3 <3 <3

Um, now that I got that out of my chest, let's get to the topic, that is, the wonderful Mao... Has anybody found a HIGH QUALITY video for Mao's Sochi FS? I've only come across the fairly low resolution one with TAT's commentary. It was a truly exceptional performance, I'd like to see it in its full glory again....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nimi View Post
    I've had my struggles with body image issues and disordered eating even though in my part of the world girls/women aren't expected to be nowhere near that petite. (At 1.67m and 60kg I'm considered "normal size": my dress size is usually M but sometimes S.) I can totally understand your parental concern! I wish you and your daughter best of luck in building her self-esteem <3 <3 <3

Um, now that I got that out of my chest, let's get to the topic, that is, the wonderful Mao... Has anybody found a HIGH QUALITY video for Mao's Sochi FS? I've only come across the fairly low resolution one with TAT's commentary. It was a truly exceptional performance, I'd like to see it in its full glory again....
    Thanks.

For Mao OG's FS try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJChxuXE6WY It has HD version. Not the best HD but OK for me.

tripping on the toe pick
    ^ Thank you!

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Thanks.
    For Mao OG's FS try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJChxuXE6WY It has HD version. Not the best HD but OK for me.
    Seriously, after rewatching this program over and over again, I coudln't help but wonder, why was this program marked 142? This is the one that worths 149 or even more!

tripping on the toe pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Seriously, after rewatching this program over and over again, I coudln't help but wonder, why was this program was marked 142? This is the one that worths 149 or even more!
    EXACTLY!!!

If you want to, um, provoke conversation, I'm sure you're familiar with a couple of Sochi related threads where you could pose that question and get, er, interesting answers from certain posters.

Custom Title
    Seriously, after rewatching this program over and over again, I coudln't help but wonder, why was this program was marked 142? This is the one that worths 149 or even more!
    LOL. Yeah :-D

I don't have any particular problem with final placements or medals, but it's pretty incredible that Asada's amazing and historic 8-triples-including-3A program was not enough to win the free skate.

But whatever. It's figure skating. And it's the Olympics. And in my opinion, the Olympics are different. Things go crazy at the Olympics!

It was the same in 2010 - Kim beat her previous world record total by a giant 18 points, and subsequently never got close to that score again. You'd think people would have cried foul and made 300 page threads to moan about that, but I don't think anybody really cared at the time... because she was the clear winner anyway, whatever the score.

So yeah... I was not that surprised, when the scoring went wild again in the ladies FS, at this year's Olympics.

Actually I was more surprised at how fair and consistent the judging seemed, generally. I thought it was about as good as it ever gets in figure skating (!). And it was only in the ladies FS that things went crazy. Really, I had expected much worse!

The most important thing is that Mao gave us that magnificent free skate.
    It will live in our memories forever. It doesn't matter what score they gave it.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nimi View Post
    EXACTLY!!!
    If you want to, um, provoke conversation, I'm sure you're familiar with a couple of Sochi related threads where you could pose that question and get, er, interesting answers from certain posters.
    Seriously, I did not follow ladies events closely, so I didn't know Mao was this good in the LP. This deserves a world record. Even though she couldn't make it to the podium, she deserves over 150 for this performance. It's true that skated early affected her PCS badly. That only means they had fixed the PCS for each group before hand. That is not fair!

Custom Title
    Numerous posters have remarked how this is the most obvious corruption in the competition. Mao was held down in GOE's, PCS and given some questionable under-rotations and of course nailed on the flutz in order to give what came to be a highly inflated Lipnitskaya (in PCS and GOE's with no ur's or flutzes) a chance to leapfrog her and put Lip in place for a medal, in case Sotnikova fell. Mao had merely 6 +3's in GOE's (she usually gets 10 or 11 for a normal performance) and everyone of her beautifully wave-like 8 triple jumps received less than 1 in GOE. Meanwhile, Lipnitskaya was awarded 27 +3's in GOE with over +1 all her jumps except the fall. She also received a higher PCS than Mao, who delivered one of the greatest performances in history, yet received a humiliating 5th place PCS finish.

The Lipnitskaya inflation and Mao deflation also gave the Russian skater a chance to participate in the Gala- which is only supposed to be awarded to the top 5 skaters. The fact that Mao was allowed to attend- in a manipulated 6th place finish- is at least a small admission of guilt. She had to be held down for the Russian subterfuge to ripen on the rotten vine. The whole travesty was irredeemably corrupt and in my mind really doesn't bare any more scrutiny because of its sleazy certainty. I call a spade a spade, wash my soul clean by bathing in the peerless beauty of the performance, with no numbers from corrupt judges to adulterate its pristine memory. Mao here is spiritual magnanimity and technical perfection personified. She has transcended the narrow confines of the scoring system with a performance of inimitable epic grandeur delivered in a fiery but delicate texture.

Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    LOL. Yeah :-D

I don't have any particular problem with final placements or medals, but it's pretty incredible that Asada's amazing and historic 8-triples-including-3A program was not enough to win the free skate.

But whatever. It's figure skating. And it's the Olympics. And in my opinion, the Olympics are different. Things go crazy at the Olympics!

It was the same in 2010 - Kim beat her previous world record by a giant 18 points, and subsequently never got close to that score again. You'd think people would have cried foul and made 300 page threads to moan about that, but I don't think anybody really cared at the time... because she was the clear winner anyway, whatever the score.

So yeah... I was not that surprised, when the scoring went wild again in the ladies FS, at this year's Olympics.

Actually I was more surprised at how fair and consistent the judging seemed, generally. I thought it was about as good as it ever gets in figure skating (!). And it was only in the ladies FS that things went crazy. Really, I had expected much worse!

The most important thing is that Mao gave us that magnificent free skate.
    It will live in our memories forever. It doesn't matter what score they gave it.
    I remember one Russian journalist wrote, this performance on it's own made her immortal and I couldn't agree more

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast