Mao Asada | Page 185 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

gotoschool

Medalist
I wrote some of this early but expanded my impression of Mao's SP program.

I loved Mao's performance. She had a lot more attack this week, her steps and speed were much crisper. Her skating skills were fabulous. Her delivery more mysterious. Her make-up was bewitchingly heavy and her attitude was even slightly angry. I am beginning to sense the ritual element- The exorcism of the ex husband from her mind- as she urgently seeks to break that ties that bind. She was even fierce in the way she attacked the steps and carved her edges throughout the performance but the entire piece is not only about being fierce; the mood it sets is also melancholic, confused and brooding in trying to escape from mourning for her lost husband and Mao brings out this more subtle complexity well. If I look closely there are many moments when it was difficult to even tell which way she was moving. I feel a bit like I have been thrown into a whirlwind with all the rapid 180 degree turns, pirouettes, leaps into the air, zig zag and circular turns which mirror well the foreboding and disorienting tone of the music: a bit like being thrown into a witches' cauldron. This is truly high art combined with stellar skating skills. I think Mao goes far beyond merely giving an intense or fierce expression and rather embodies the mood in her entire bodily movement so that the face is merely subsumed into the whole which if you look at photos is very apt in expressing the haunting mood.I heard Mao's blades aggressively come to a stop at the end of her program with a spray of ice and a menacing look.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I'm just here to say I'm excited for Mao's LP. It's my favorite program of the season and my all-time from her. :)

mary01

Final Flight
I'm just here to say I'm excited for Mao's LP. It's my favorite program of the season and my all-time from her. :)

Welcome to the Mao Asada thread, always nice to see new fans :) we all love Mao new programs but what captured you the most about them would love to hear

mary01

Final Flight
You now what let Ashley or whoever win the SA, Mao already has an SA title, I want her to rest and her injury to heal completely and just come back full force

gotoschool

Medalist
Mao's red outfit is totally gorgeous and The beauty of Mao's skating, spirals, expression and spins in this program is stunning like droplets of water glistening on a rose in the sunshine both alluring and with mix of innocence during the spiral and spread eagle. Weepingly beautiful. The step sequences was totally mesmerizing. The first three jumping runs and the triple loop were nice as well. Her triple lutz was beautiful. If Mao is injured or not feeling well, I hope she will stop to take care of her health now. It seems it is the entrance to the second double axel where Mao first experienced problems just like at Finlandia which is probably due to pressure on the left knee. During practice at Finlandia, Mao was also smooth through the first 3 jumping runs and then needed to take a break from jumps.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
You now what let Ashley or whoever win the SA, Mao already has an SA title, I want her to rest and her injury to heal completely and just come back full force

Absolutely. Proud that she came out and did the best that she could. I think Japanese Nationals is the focus right now anyway. And Mao has one more event (GP Paris?) to use to get ready before then.

Barb

Record Breaker
yes, definitely her injury is bothering her. I hope is not so serious to skip France. But her skating is soooo beautiful, the spiral killed me :drama:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I noticed it too... I hope she is fine.
Hmm. I still think she might have a cold or something. She looked feverish after the free skate... sweating (and I don't think because it was too warm in the arena, other ladies seemed OK).

I wonder if she will be invited to the gala exhibition... but even if she is, I have the feeling she will decline due to health...

mary01

Final Flight
Hmm. I still think she might have a cold or something. She looked feverish after the free skate... sweating (and I don't think because it was too warm in the arena, other ladies seemed OK).

I wonder if she will be invited to the gala exhibition... but even if she is, I have the feeling she will decline due to health...

The thing with Mao she rarely reveals her health issues, we always end up knowing by seeing her skate veery uncharacteristic skates with unusual mistakes, she probably thinks we won't notice, but we have watched her for soo many years now, that we know from the way she moves, her expression, the uncharacteristic mistakes that something is off. I have watched all Mao's performances over a decade and never saw her do the mistakes I saw her today, and honestly her skipping practice should have been a clear indication of her being sick!

Last edited:

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Just saw the protocols... urgh. She made mistakes but Mao is underscored again in the PCS department. tsk3:dev2::think:

gotoschool

Medalist
On the plus side, she got the lutz edge ratified and this was a very strict tech panel.
ETA: https://youtu.be/1JgJtY4f70g?t=369

But, Mao was given what I think is very harsh ur call on it considering her take off has less than 180 degrees of pre-rotation. She was also underscored on her step sequence which should have definitely received level 4 with high GOE considering its intricacy, complexity and passion with rhythmic serpentine moves in and out of a squatting spread eagle and long flowing glide of the blades with rapid edged turns. It is the definition of level 4. But judging from the base value, her step sequence didn't receive it. The step sequence score especially shows that Mao is receiving unjust scoring and shows the triple lutz ruling as well as the relatively low PCS score is a pattern of underscoring continuing from the short program. I am impressed that Mao puts so much effort, talent,and artistry into her programs even though she is not properly rewarded for it. 4 skaters were given a higher base value in their step sequence than Mao, even though hers is obviously by far the most challenging, athletic and expressive of her music.

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
I don't credit how could Mao's technical score be soo low here, when she landed a total of 5 tripples, i know two of them were not perfect but still her score was really harsh

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Welcome to the Mao Asada thread, always nice to see new fans :) we all love Mao new programs but what captured you the most about them would love to hear

Thanks for the welcome! I have posted quite a few times in this thread before :)

To answer, Mao is one of my all time faves. She and Yuna both have sparked my interest in this sport and I think their rivalry before was beautiful in a way that they both have inspired each other to be the best. Now that Yuna has retired, I'm rooting for Mao for Pyeongchang. I think that she had the most memorable LP in Sochi and should have gotten higher scores but well, Sochi was Sochi.

Her long program this season is my all time favorite from her. It's so beautiful. The way she makes everything flow smoothly with great quality is phenomenal. No one in this field could touch that! Not even if the judges think otherwise. I'm glad she returned to share her talent with us again. Nocturne is still my favorite Mao SP.

I'm wishing for her quick recovery and I hope she peaks at Worlds to deliver two epic programs and show everyone who's boss. :)