Mao Asada | Page 195 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

Spinning

On the Ice
I hate to think that this was the last time we'll see of her SP/FS in competition. Perhaps she'll keep them for next season?

I hope so too. Both programmes will be glorious to watch when she perform to the highest potential.

I think she is on the right path to next season.
When she get her jumps back, she definitely will be on the OG team.

If not well...just to watch her skates is privilege enough.

People who think she should quit, "Don't like don't watch!" It's simple as that.

gotoschool

Medalist
Mao's LP was a LOT better than I thought it would be when I first saw the score. I would like to share one of my favorite quotes by a poster named gravy who shares a similar view to me when watching Mao's incredibly beautiful, lyrically subtle and fiery Ritual Dance performance with the two falls and popped triple flip giving a tragic tinge to a sumptuous visual feast of a performance. The fact that Mao is probably still suffering from a knee injury that she won't reveal made it heroic and noble to me.

Here are gravy's comments:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?62076-2016-17-Japanese-National-Ladies-FS/page11 post 162

"Bravo, Mao. You gave the first performance of the season for me in which I never once cared to peep up at the TES box. Doesn't mean squat in terms of boosting your score, but you moved me deeply. This is why I watch figure skating."

The fiery flames that leap out from the edges of Mao's illusion fabric are so alluring highlighting the radiance of such a passionate and elegant dancing lady. It was like the bright rose of spring had sprung into thaw the icy arena and was matched by the boquets that rained down from the audience along with what were probably more than a few tears.

The highlights for me were the speed that Mao approached the triple axel and the first instant she rose into the air with such beautiful erect rotation. She had the guts to really go for it. Then, I loved the triple flip and loop into the triple lutz, the choreography sequence, and the double axel / triple toe loop. I have grown over weary of the minute tech inspection of jumps which is not based on rotation from take off to landing at the expense of the far more visually captivating way Mao maintains such a picturesque, erect posture with straight legs and a tight wrapping of the feet on landing, in addition to her gorgeous symmetrical air position which is so much like being at a ballet on ice. I also loved the finale from the triple loop, to her I spin with her magnificent frontal extension and the way she extends her hands all the way to the end of her skates in her extended sit spins. Then, I love the way Mao arches her head back so passionately and plants her skates emphatically before launching into the fiery step sequence with her serpentine flair as she stoops into a kneeling flying eagle swooping down on the audience at top speed. .
Just a note: Mao lost 12 points in tech and 2 points in falls from the time she finished. And some of those jump combos were my favorites.This reminds me of a quote by Albert Einstein that a poster left under a video of Mao's Sochi LP with almost 3 million views that was removed by the International Olympic Commission:

The value of a man (or woman) should be seen in what he (or she) gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Or this quote from the great American writer, William Faulkner, who shares Mao's birthday on September 25th, especially considering Mao's chronic knee injury before this competition and her reduced training time:
"All of us have failed to match our dreams of perfection. I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible."

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I hate to think that this was the last time we'll see of her SP/FS in competition. Perhaps she'll keep them for next season?

The good news is that she got Level 4s on everything and +0.70 GOE on her 3Lz. What do you think largeman?
http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2016-2017/fs_e/national/data0205.pdf

I have been feeling crushed since reading about Mao's scores, and was going to put off watching the video till later... but seeing your post, I had no choice but to jump on YouTube ;)

The lutz was marvelous! Actually, in the first practice video footage posted earlier in the week, I thought her lutz takeoff looked better than ever, but it was underrotated. The one today is as close to perfection as it has ever been. If you go back and watch Mao's swan lake lutz and rach2 lutz, it's really night and day.

This is Mao, a skater who won Olympic silver and world title almost 7 years ago without being able to put a salchow and lutz in her program. 7 years later and in her 12th season of competing internationally, she now has a solid 3Sal and a faultless 3Lz, not to mention a more graceful and effortless 3A and 3F. She is a wonder in ladies' skating just looking at the technical achievements alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barb

Record Breaker
Wow, her LP was a beauty :love:, too bad her season is over, but she looks motivated. I hope she keeps the FP for the next season.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I am in love with both of her programs this season. I find the choreo interesting, the music choice exciting and exotic at the same time. It also shows how versatile Mao is. With these programs and how she presented it during competitions, she hit a new level of maturity and artistry. Even when she steps on the ice, and does her starting pose she just looks like a goddess. She has incredible presence and charisma on ice :luv17:
I like that she is motivated! I really hope she will keep either one or both of this programs for the next season too.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Here's another look at Mao's 3Lz from a different angle: https://youtu.be/RfHuUtfhDsc?t=6m31s

That's a true lutz! I once made a "crazy future prediction" in 2015 before Mao announced her comeback: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Predictions&p=1160000&viewfull=1#post1160000

At the time, I thought the chances of this coming true were around... 1%. But it came true. With Mao, nothing is impossible. She has exceeded expectations time and time again through her determination and hard work, and that's why I will keep believing in her.

She has all the goods, she really does. She just needs to find a way to make everything come together. I will wish her good luck every day.

mikaboo

Medalist
I have been feeling crushed since reading about Mao's scores, and was going to put off watching the video till later... but seeing your post, I had no choice but to jump on YouTube ;)

The lutz was marvelous! Actually, in the first practice video footage posted earlier in the week, I thought her lutz takeoff looked better than ever, but it was underrotated. The one today is as close to perfection as it has ever been. If you go back and watch Mao's swan lake lutz and rach2 lutz, it's really night and day.

This is Mao, a skater who won Olympic silver and world title almost 7 years ago without being able to put a salchow and lutz in her program. 7 years later and in her 12th season of competing internationally, she now has a solid 3Sal and a faultless 3Lz, not to mention a more graceful and effortless 3A and 3F. She is a wonder in ladies' skating just looking at the technical achievements alone.

Thanks for giving your stamp of approval :) It’s good to know that she deserved that positive GOE.

Yesterday, she was asked about competitions for the remainder of the season and she replied that she doesn't know because it (Nationals) just ended.
Maybe there is a chance that she'll compete at a smaller competition later in the season (wishful thinking on my part).
http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/12462743/

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao's 12th place finish here belies her beautiful programs and her fans will love her no matter the result. I hope she keeps both programs if she's competing next season and is able to qualify for the Olympics. She can only get better and stronger and I saw hints of that in this competition.

One of my highlights of this past year was seeing her skate live in Boston and I felt privileged to witness her mastery of skating skills even if her jumps weren't always there.

skatespin

On the Ice
Since Mao placed 12th at nationals, will this make it unlikely that she will get 2 grand prix spots next season?

I honestly thought 12th place was kind of harsh, seems like fed doesn't want her to continue. Makes me want her to succeed even more lol.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Since Mao placed 12th at nationals, will this make it unlikely that she will get 2 grand prix spots next season?

I honestly thought 12th place was kind of harsh, seems like fed doesn't want her to continue. Makes me want her to succeed even more lol.
It will depend on her World standing. I don't know what her is atm, but it would be a good strategy for her to compete in small competitions to gain points in order to secure GP spots before season ends.

mary01

Final Flight

I feel the same way, the scores she received were soo harsh, and it makes me sooo irritated and mad, that nothing would make me happier then to see her succed sooo strongly next season, it's only two years ago she won the WC and now they don't even want to send her really? this just goes to show how supportive her federation is, fricken useless fools!

Plumededragon

Medalist
I feel the same way, the scores she received were soo harsh, and it makes me sooo irritated and mad, that nothing would make me happier then to see her succed sooo strongly next season, it's only two years ago she won the WC and now they don't even want to send her really? this just goes to show how supportive her federation is, fricken useless fools!
Mao didn't get the PCS she deserves (too low imo, and no way Kanako should be close to her), but she made many mistakes in both programs. Mao is no fool, she knows she has to work hard on her jumps because her artistry alone can't give enough to get a good score.
Why would she go to World, considering her results this whole season, compared to others who have delivered more and deserved what could be one chance in their career to participate to big competitions? (considering how big the JP lady field is...)
It's not unfair to Mao, it's just how things work in the different federations. She stays true to her word and and her decision to keep going next season, no matter if she succeed or not. She has the spirit of a fighter, she always did. And she will retire on her own term, just as planned.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Mao didn't get the PCS she deserves (too low imo, and no way Kanako should be close to her), but she made many mistakes in both programs. Mao is no fool, she knows she has to work hard on her jumps because her artistry alone can't give enough to get a good score.
Why would she go to World, considering her results this whole season, compared to others who have delivered more and deserved what could be one chance in their career to participate to big competitions? (considering how big the JP lady field is...)
It's not unfair to Mao, it's just how things work in the different federations. She stays true to her word and and her decision to keep going next season, no matter if she succeed or not. She has the spirit of a fighter, she always did. And she will retire on her own term, just as planned.
It is very rare when I disagree with scoring enough to comment. But this is one of those times.

For reference: Program components with explanations

Now, when I read the descriptions of what each PCS component is supposed to evaluate, and look at Mao's skating at Nationals - both SP and FS but especially the SP... and then look at the competition scores/protocols...

I do think Mao's PCS scores are too low. Her programs are so difficult and sophisticated... her skating is so elegant and polished and controlled, with such variety of movement... highly distinctive and memorable transitions and choreography etc etc. I think she amply demonstrates all the qualities listed in the above PCS reference PDF, and more so than any other skater at Nationals, except in some respects - Satoko. Certainly for Transitions, Choreography and Interpretation, I would therefore have expected a lot more 9's... I think the 8's are a bit mean... and the 7's are simply unfathomable.

Her jumps were not there of course... and that should be reflected in the technical score. And it was. OK, I can understand if it also affects judges perception of Skating Skills and Performance/Execution... but I wouldn't expect by much, given her other qualities...?

Well. To be honest it doesn't concern me much. It was the technical score (jumps) more than anything that hurt Mao's scores. I think if she can return to full fitness, get her jumps (and confidence) back, and show some consistency, the judges will reward her well. Much like Kaetlyn Osmond's return to form this season.

---

One thing that saddened more than the scoring, was my impression (!) that perhaps Mao might be a bit lonely at competitions? I repeat, it's only my impression - and perhaps I am overthinking or seeing things that aren't really there - but Mao has said in interviews that she feels very aware of her age compared to the other skaters these days - she is one of the oldest skaters at competitions now... she doesn't know many of the younger skaters, and they don't talk to her much.

Well, many of the younger skaters are simply in awe of Mao, some of them started skating because they saw her on TV, it is their dream to skate with her on the same ice, etc... and I guess they are simply afraid to approach her? She is their unreachable, untouchable, idol?

I did notice she left quite quickly, alone, from the SP draw at nationals - while many of the other skaters stayed to chat to each other. One of the "fluff" pieces in the Fuji TV coverage of the gala focussed on a younger skater (Honoka Hirotani?), and showed footage of her secretly goggling at Mao but pretending not to... then after Mao had walked by and was gone, her expression changed to wide-eyed "OMG! DID YOU SEE?! THAT WAS MAO!". I just find it a little bit sad when I see little things like that.

Well, I know she is loved by so many fans all over the world, and practically the whole of Japan. But I think of that as something "different"? Something less "personal"?

This is one of many reasons I am glad that Carolina Kostner has returned to competition. She is a good friend of Mao, similar generation, and she won an Olympic medal at about the age that Mao is now. Mao has said that Caro's comeback is an inspiration for her... and personally I am grateful to Kostner for providing such a comfort and encouragement to Mao, simply by being there...

Last edited:

aerosuffly

Spectator
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/12/27/figure-skating/time-mao-change-direction-give

Another opinion piece. He managed to judge an athlete with his usual attitude, as well as being sarcastic to the fans. He got a few points across this time, but the way he presented them is highly subjective and insulting to the athlete. Plus, he did not do enough research. (Brian Orser said in an interview before that it will be hard for him to coach Mao because Mao is too stubborn/determined.)

I am also surprised that some people left supporting comments.

DiamondDust

Final Flight

:thumbsup:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Another opinion piece. He managed to judge an athlete with his usual attitude, as well as being sarcastic to the fans. He got a few points across this time, but the way he presented them is highly subjective and insulting to the athlete. Plus, he did not do enough research. (Brian Orser said in an interview before that it will be hard for him to coach Mao because Mao is too stubborn/determined.)

I am also surprised that some people left supporting comments.
I see that the URL points to Japan Times.
Meaning, it's bound to be another worthless crock of you know what, from "Doesn't Know Jack" Gallagher.
I couldn't care less what he has to say about anything, and I am not going to make money for him by clicking the link...

Especially if it's about Mao - he is the type, who let his undying love of a certain skater, turn to hatred and bias against all rivals of that skater (eg. Mao...) and apparently that hatred still burns, even though his idol is long-retired...

Last edited:

aerosuffly

Spectator
I see that the URL points to Japan Times.
Meaning, it's bound to be another worthless crock of you know what, from "Doesn't Know Jack" Gallagher.
I couldn't care less what he has to say about anything, and I am not going to make money for him by clicking the link...

Especially if it's about Mao - he is the type, who let his undying love of a certain skater, turn to hatred and bias against all rivals of that skater (eg. Mao...) and apparently that hatred still burns, even though his idol is long-retired...
I did not know he is a dying fan of a certain athlete. Everything makes sense now. I have to wonder how Japan Times still hire him.