Mao Asada | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
This season feels so empty without Mao. I just start rewatching most of Mao's programs these days. I miss her so much :((

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I miss Mao, too. Watched her FS from Worlds this year yesterday and realized how much I miss her spirit, her lines and her 3A!

gotoschool

Medalist
Me too! i miss her so much! what is your most favorite Mao Asada program?

I can't limit it to one choice and even the list below is too limited. It's amazing how much everyone starts missing Mao now that the Grand Prix season has started. I miss her too much.

My favorite LPs by Mao are first and foremost Roch 2 at Sochi, then Roch 2 at Worlds and Bells of Moscow at 2010 Worlds, and then the Csárdás LP from 2007 Worlds,

My favorite SPs are Nocturne at 2014 Worlds, Waltz Masquerade at the Vancouver Olympics and Worlds 2010, I Got Rhythm 2013 4CCs, and Clare de Lune from World Team Trophy 2009.

Favorite exhibition: Caprice 2009-2010 and Chopin's Ballade

iceberg

On the Ice
I can't limit it to one choice and even the list below is too limited. It's amazing how much everyone starts missing Mao now that the Grand Prix season has started. I miss her too much.

My favorite LPs by Mao are first and foremost Roch 2 at Sochi, then Roch 2 at Worlds and Bells of Moscow at 2010 Worlds, and then the Csárdás LP from 2007 Worlds,

My favorite SPs are Nocturne at 2014 Worlds, Waltz Masquerade at the Vancouver Olympics and Worlds 2010, I Got Rhythm 2013 4CCs, and Clare de Lune from World Team Trophy 2009.

Favorite exhibition: Caprice 2009-2010 and Chopin's Ballade

As for me my no.1 all time favorite SP of Mao is the "Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra" choreographed by Tarasova at 2008 Worlds.

My no.1 all time favorite LP of Mao is the "Fantasie Impromptu" choreographed by the genius Lori Nichol at 2008 Worlds.

I'm just really more of a fan of the elegant and lyrical Mao Asada.

However I think her most notable and I guess the most MEMORABLE programs are:

2014 Worlds Nocturne
2014 Sochi Olympics Roch

gotoschool

Medalist
As for me my no.1 all time favorite SP of Mao is the "Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra" choreographed by Tarasova at 2008 Worlds.

My no.1 all time favorite LP of Mao is the "Fantasie Impromptu" choreographed by the genius Lori Nichol at 2008 Worlds.

2014 Worlds Nocturne
2014 Sochi Olympics Roch

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Fantasie Impromptu, at the Grand Prix Final 2007 and 2008 4CC's, and Fantasia for Violin as well aa Liebestraum at 2011 4CC's and pretty much all her programs. I guess I'm lucky that I love all sides of Mao's skating. That's why she is my favorite skater because she plays so many different characters in her performances with such a wide range of emotion that I can relate to and feel deeply, while also having incredible technical content, balletic grace, and what I consider to be the best artistry.

iceberg

On the Ice
Oh don't get me wrong, I love Fantasie Impromptu, at the Grand Prix Final 2007 and 2008 4CC's, and Fantasia for Violin as well aa Liebestraum at 2011 4CC's and pretty much all her programs. I guess I'm lucky that I love all sides of Mao's skating. That's why she is my favorite skater because she plays so many different characters in her performances with such a wide range of emotion that I can relate to and feel deeply, while also having incredible technical content, balletic grace, and what I consider to be the best artistry.

very well said and i couldn't agree more. i also believe that her artistry is at its finest when she is choreographed by Lori Nichol. She was in her prime.

I remember in an interview after Sochi, Lori Nichol quoted "Mao Asada is my hero". :)

BounceAround

On the Ice
I remember in an interview after Sochi, Lori Nichol quoted "Mao Asada is my hero". :)

I've been wondering about this for the past few years but never wanted to bring it up while both skaters were actively competing against each other...Does Lori favor Carolina over Mao? Not only does she often sit with Carolina in the Kiss and Cry and never with Mao, but Frank Carroll told reporters in Sochi that Mao's artistry was not impressive compared to Gracie's, and Frank and Lori are very close.

gotoschool

Medalist
I've been wondering about this for the past few years but never wanted to bring it up while both skaters were actively competing against each other...Does Lori favor Carolina over Mao? Not only does she often sit with Carolina in the Kiss and Cry and never with Mao, but Frank Carroll told reporters in Sochi that Mao's artistry was not impressive compared to Gracie's, and Frank and Lori are very close.

That comment by Frank Carroll is ludicrous and most likely a calculated ruse to maneuver for higher scores for Gracie and or lower ones for Mao. Overall, I still prefer Tarasova as a choreographer for Mao because I feel she brings out Mao's most profound side, but Lori has done a wonderful job bringing out her lighter, lyrical side.

Barb

Record Breaker
My favorite program of Mao is Liebestraum :love:, and my favorite dress too.

And you know, I would considered Frank´s comment seriously if he would not said Gracie is better than Mao, what a joke, Gracie is good, but that comment was simply ridiculous.

yhmafan

Medalist
Just saw this wonderful video, and ALL I can see is the two elegant and beautiful skaters.
It makes me miss her even more (ノД`)・゚・。

Thanks to the uploader :thumbsup:

bebece

Rinkside
the one program that i always miss always has the need to watch over and over again is

Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra, the world performance arhhhh beautiful the music, choreography costume and the jumps

from my understanding TAT also make make mao costume, and a lot of fans has a lot to say bout it ( the choker )

but who make mao costume for lori program ? did she make it in japan or canada
does lori also make costume or have partner in costume making proses ?

this season every little thing remain me of mao

when yuzuru skate to ballade, i thinks of mao
when tatsuki skate to Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra, i thinks of mao
when someone skate to Rach no 2, i thinks of mao

i don't know what i would think of fells when someone skate to Jupiter,

thoakun

Final Flight

2014 Worlds Nocturne
2014 Sochi Olympics Roch
I hope Mao will skate to Fantasia and Fantasie again whether she continues competitve skating or performing in ice shows. I'd love to see her bringing her maturity and polish to those underrated programs.

figureskateobasan

On the Ice

2014 Worlds Nocturne
2014 Sochi Olympics Roch

Those 2 are my favorites!! I also like Bells of Moscow, I got Rhythm(gosh, there is this tv cm in Japan airing right now that use this music for their cm and I keep thinking of Mao), as of EX smile and so deep is the night. Well, I basically love everything she skated to!!! hard choices.

thoakun

Final Flight
the one program that i always miss always has the need to watch over and over again is

Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra, the world performance arhhhh beautiful the music, choreography costume and the jumps

from my understanding TAT also make make mao costume, and a lot of fans has a lot to say bout it ( the choker )

Thanks to your reminder, I've just realized that most of Mao's costumes for Lori's programs are better than Tat's deisgns. I only know that Mao's Liebestraum dress is designed by Josian Lamonde. When Lori choreographed for Mao, she probably suggested Mao working with certain designers.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
That comment by Frank Carroll is ludicrous and most likely a calculated ruse to maneuver for higher scores for Gracie and or lower ones for Mao. Overall, I still prefer Tarasova as a choreographer for Mao because I feel she brings out Mao's most profound side, but Lori has done a wonderful job bringing out her lighter, lyrical side.

Agree.

Not sure what the exact scoop is between Lori and Mao, but I do remember reading about Lori being there for Mao when her mom passed away. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Lori choreographed I Got Rhythm and Mary Poppins because she knew Mao’s mom would have wanted to see Mao happy. It was her attempt to raise Mao's spirits. Very light and lyrical indeed.

bebece

Rinkside
thanks guys for the info in costume making
in the first quad i things mai always have some great costume and mao not so great
don't both of them gone to the same designers ?

so about team around mao or team mao or general skater team
who are they n how many of them

the important one is coach in mao case the Sato couple
so what about shannet or zannet , TAT assistant, does she also count as coach
and makino san from weider team, off ice coach?
manager from IMG
someone from JSF, i notice threes this rather old man with glasses n wearing japan team jacket that always around
or this lady that accompany mao in kiss n cry in world 08 when mao was coach less
so who else nutritionist, security or make up artist ?

iceberg

On the Ice

I hope Mao will skate to Fantasia and Fantasie again whether she continues competitve skating or performing in ice shows. I'd love to see her bringing her maturity and polish to those underrated programs.

Those 2 are my favorites!! I also like Bells of Moscow, I got Rhythm(gosh, there is this tv cm in Japan airing right now that use this music for their cm and I keep thinking of Mao), as of EX smile and so deep is the night. Well, I basically love everything she skated to!!! hard choices.

IKR? Her 2008 Worlds Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra is just heavenly. The music, her costume, the choreography, her lyrical skating. It's as if elegance has become her. And superb interpretation.

That is why I wasn't surprised that her program rained all SUPERLATIVES from all commentators of Eurosports, CBC, and ESPN. :)

iceberg

On the Ice

I have also observed that in the past years that Lori have never(if im not mistaken) sat with Mao in competition but Lori had always been supportive of Mao even through those times where Mao had a change of coach and arsenal.

I guess what Mao and Lori have with each other during her career is what we call "in good faith".

gotoschool

Medalist
Agree.

Not sure what the exact scoop is between Lori and Mao, but I do remember reading about Lori being there for Mao when her mom passed away. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Lori choreographed I Got Rhythm and Mary Poppins because she knew Mao’s mom would have wanted to see Mao happy. It was her attempt to raise Mao's spirits. Very light and lyrical indeed.

Yes, I heard the Russian announcer with Maxim Trankov say that Lori Nichols had created the choreography for Mary Poppins to lift Mao out of her sadness when her mother passed away. However, I heard that I Got Rhythm was originally an SP program designed for Mirai Nagasu before Mao used it. I also heard that Mao has gone canoeing with Lori in Canada during the summer, which definitely shows they have a close relationship. By the way, I can't give enough praise for Maxim not only in terms of his skating but also for having the guts to be honest in showing how much he loved Mao's Sochi freeskate performance when he said, "It was the performance that only an Olympic Champion could give." (translated from Russian)

Here is a post at fsuniverse that gives some insights into Lori's thoughts about Mao:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...-about-mao-asada-and-daisuke-takahashi.90123/