Mao Asada | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

Barb

Record Breaker
what about mao program in pairs

mao with Jeffrey Buttle or what people in tumbler like to call maobutt hahahahha
their bolero was great, soft n majestic but i hope it be a bit longer, like 4 minute longer
Unforgettable such a soft romantic love program
n skating in a show with dim light make it more beautiful

It is difficult, all were great but I prefer their Bolero :bow: and what a chemistry, I think they would be a killer ice dance team.

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
I loved her "Por una cabeza" program! So feisty!

But I also loved her "Etude" exhibition. It's like Chopin composed his music just for Mao!
You know I think Lori said that Mao was born to skate to Chopin. Mao is the most beautiful skater of the last quad. She had up and downs but no one makng a fair assessment can deny the beauty of her blade. Breathtaking:love:

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
By the way if Mao retuns I want her to work with new coreograohers. Maybe Dai can create a program for her:cool:to me he is the man's version of Mao beautiful skating

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
You know I think Lori said that Mao was born to skate to Chopin. Mao is the most beautiful skater of the last quad. She had up and downs but no one makng a fair assessment can deny the beauty of her blade. Breathtaking:love:

Absolutely. Mao definitely has her faults, but the fact that she wears her heart on her sleeve whenever she skates is what seals the deal for me.

It's fascinating to watch her Nocturne program in 2006-07 and again 2013-14. Different choreography, but it's incredible to see how much she's grown. Her SP in Saitama was easily the best program for me of the quad. Very Scandinavian of me, but I love that she emotes both sadness and joy in it. I think it was Bezic who said that since her first Nocturne, Mao has certainly learned the emotional intricacies and ups-&-downs of the song in Sochi. That SP is just so perfect!

iceberg

On the Ice

But has lori ever sat with her in the kiss and cry???

iceberg

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure in the coming years Japan will have its new bloomed Female Figure Skating sensation and I wish that whoever she is, she has that influence of Mao. I do hope the 3A from Ito to Asada will still be passed along to the rightful one. :)

gotoschool

Medalist
Ha. But you see, my crying over this program is because of Sochi. I see this performance at Worlds, and I can't help thinking what if...:hopelessness:
I know that an OGM doesn't add or take away anything from her greatness. But I'm an egoist, and I can't help but think why my two favorite and beautiful skaters like Kwan first, and Mao later didn't win that damn medal.
So that's why I cry when I see this performance right after Sochi.

:laugh: That's one of the best comments indeed. Never read that before. Thanks. :)

The most wonderful thing about Mao's Rach 2 at Sochi is that it was the first performance I ever saw that I really felt transcended the idea of a score. It was a spiritual experience to watch and I just immediately connected with it as a great athletic and artistic achievement that was still somehow down to earth and full of sincerity and humanity. I cried because of it's beauty and how poignantly it mirrored the peaks and valleys of life. But still, I was really angry about the scores, so I am probably contradicting myself. Now, one side of me never thinks of Mao's programs in terms of scores, and the other side is usually upset that they aren't as high as they should be.

I never thought about the Olympics when I watched Nocturne at Worlds. It is just so beautiful, balletic and athletic that it makes me cry. I love it when she smiles in the middle of the program while extending her arms like she's embracing the audience.

I found this fascinating video with a divided screen that compares Mao's jump sequences in her SP at Vancouver to her Nocturne at Worlds and then compares her Bells of Moscow jumps, and those in her 2008 programs to her Sochi LP. After that it, shows a split screen of Mao's Rach 2 at Worlds LP on the right and her Sochi LP on the left. This proves that her speed was pretty much identical in both programs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I7ql7kev5o

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
You know I never thought of this before but keeping this thread alive and thriving is not only a good way to honor Mao but also the memory of Olympia, since she started this thread for Mao.

Meoima

Match Penalty
To me, Mao's LP at Sochi is the greatest LP under CoP. She should have gotten a world record for that performance.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
The most wonderful thing about Mao's Rach 2 at Sochi is that it was the first performance I ever saw that I really felt transcended the idea of a score. It was a spiritual experience to watch and I just immediately connected with it as a great athletic and artistic achievement that was still somehow down to earth and full of sincerity and humanity. I cried because of it's beauty and how poignantly it mirrored the peaks and valleys of life. But still, I was really angry about the scores, so I am probably contradicting myself. Now, one side of me never thinks of Mao's programs in terms of scores, and the other side is usually upset that they aren't as high as they should be.

I never thought about the Olympics when I watched Nocturne at Worlds. It is just so beautiful, balletic and athletic that it makes me cry. I love it when she smiles in the middle of the program while extending her arms like she's embracing the audience.

I found this fascinating video with a divided screen that compares Mao's jump sequences in her SP at Vancouver to her Nocturne at Worlds and then compares her Bells of Moscow jumps, and those in her 2008 programs to her Sochi LP. After that it, shows a split screen of Mao's Rach 2 at Worlds LP on the right and her Sochi LP on the left. This proves that her speed was pretty much identical in both programs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I7ql7kev5o

So many of the greats in figure skating (Kwan, Plushenko, Yagudin, Button, etc.) were so supportive of Asada via Twitter. None even mentioned the score. It wasn't important to them or anyone who followed her this last quad. She performed something that no one can ever recreate. Yes, someone could jump 8 triples in an LP in the future, but it's difficult to imagine it would have the impact of someone like Mao who was dominating the senior circuit since 2005. Yes, there was that hiccup 2-year period after Vancouver, but what she went through those years is something that anyone would have a hard time dealing with. And the fact that she came back stronger than ever after is heartwarming.

I'm kind of glad Asada was out of that whole medal conflict in Sochi, to be honest. Because her SP was so bad, no one could be jealous that she laid down the LP of a lifetime because she wasn't a threat for a medal. Just joy and happiness for her redemption. I think this is what makes Mao special.

iceberg

On the Ice
You know I never thought of this before but keeping this thread alive and thriving is not only a good way to honor Mao but also the memory of Olympia, since she started this thread for Mao.

but i just wish people here especially in Mao's thread would be kind enough to answer some questions as well even if its not the answer but just to respond to it would be highly appreciated..:)

I feel like only 3 people are interacting here with each other. but thanks anyway ill just go back to my lurker self now. bye! :D

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
but i just wish people here especially in Mao's thread would be kind enough to answer some questions as well even if its not the answer but just to respond to it would be highly appreciated..:)

I feel like only 3 people are interacting here with each other. but thanks anyway ill just go back to my lurker self now. bye! :D

I think I'll be a regular here then. :) It's ridiculous how many times I have watched Mao's skates on YouTube and have never really posted on here. By far my favorite skater. And I'm always scrounging around for any news about her and making my friend translate Japanese articles for me into English!

I never talked to Olympia I think, but I like to keep my respects on this board.

But has lori ever sat with her in the kiss and cry???

And I'll start here! Who is the blond woman who usually sits with Mao in the K&C? The woman who had tears in her eyes as she hugged Mao and rubbed her back after Mr. Sato did after her Sochi LP?

iceberg

On the Ice
I think I'll be a regular here then. :) It's ridiculous how many times I have watched Mao's skates on YouTube and have never really posted on here. By far my favorite skater. And I'm always scrounging around for any news about her and making my friend translate Japanese articles for me into English!

I never talked to Olympia I think, but I like to keep my respects on this board.

And I'll start here! Who is the blond woman who usually sits with Mao in the K&C? The woman who had tears in her eyes as she hugged Mao and rubbed her back after Mr. Sato did after her Sochi LP?

Thanks gravy that's so nice of you. I had been always posting here and I still feel like nobody appreciates it and everyone just ignores. I guess you can never really please everyone. But I;m glad you're here now.

I think that woman you're asking is Shanetta Folle. She is also a choreographer and just like you I always see her in Mao's side all through the years and seems to be very supportive and emotional with Mao. :)

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Thanks gravy that's so nice of you. I had been always posting here and I still feel like nobody appreciates it and everyone just ignores. I guess you can never really please everyone. But I;m glad you're here now.

I think that woman you're asking is Shanetta Folle. She is also a choreographer and just like you I always see her in Mao's side all through the years and seems to be very supportive and emotional with Mao. :)

Yep, I just Googled that name and she's her!

And absolutely, I'll try to post whatever interviews or messages I make my friend translate into English here! I think I love her skating because I see a lot of myself inside of her... insecurity (when she falters) and complacent happiness with what she has to offer. Some may say that's a weakness, but I think I love that most about Mao. And I think that's why most people find her endearing around the world. She's human!... but not really because she's Mao!

gotoschool

Medalist
I'm pretty sure in the coming years Japan will have its new bloomed Female Figure Skating sensation and I wish that whoever she is, she has that influence of Mao. I do hope the 3A from Ito to Asada will still be passed along to the rightful one. :)

I heard Wakaba Higuchi is working on the triple axel now and she has great height and rapid rotation in her jumps, so I am hoping that she will be the next one to carry on the tradition. I really enjoy her skating, but she reminds me more of Midori than Mao, but in spirit I think they have a lot of similarities.

iceberg

On the Ice
Yep, I just Googled that name and she's her!

And absolutely, I'll try to post whatever interviews or messages I make my friend translate into English here! I think I love her skating because I see a lot of myself inside of her... insecurity (when she falters) and complacent happiness with what she has to offer. Some may say that's a weakness, but I think I love that most about Mao. And I think that's why most people find her endearing around the world. She's human!... but not really because she's Mao!

I couldnt agree more! Lets make keep thread alive! :)

gotoschool

Medalist
And also I love her last year's SP I got rhythm. Not just because of its upbeat tempo but you can really see her skating faster than usual and still very natural and she looked so happy. :)

I have enjoyed your posts a lot iceberg. I hope you stay. Here is an outstanding new copy of I Got Rhythm I just found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5s-Rp7s8Tc
I really love this program too. Her pose and expression at the first of the program is one of my very favorites. Great triple axel too in the 4CC's 2013.

http://jto.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/sp20130210f1a.jpg

Last edited: