Mao Asada | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I have enjoyed your posts a lot iceberg. I hope you stay. Here is an outstanding new copy of I Got Rhythm I just found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5s-Rp7s8Tc
I really love this program too. Her pose and expression at the first of the program is one of my very favorites. Great triple axel too in the 4CC's 2013.

http://postimg.org/image/5rxdst24z/

When I read 'I Got Rhythm' and your link I knew it was going to be her 4CC SP! This was one of my favorites by Mao! And the audience after her 3A and at the end... incredible! Such support!! And that she can't control her smile at the end!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

gotoschool

Medalist
When I read 'I Got Rhythm' and your link I knew it was going to be her 4CC SP! This was one of my favorites by Mao! And the audience after her 3A and at the end... incredible! Such support!! And that she can't control her smile at the end!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really love how she comes alive and gets a big bright smile on her face and a strut in her step and thrust in her shoulders after she lands the triple axel. That jumps really brings her and the performance to life! So great that she was able to deliver her best performance of this program on home ice in front of an adoring crowd!

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Thanks gravy that's so nice of you. I had been always posting here and I still feel like nobody appreciates it and everyone just ignores. I guess you can never really please everyone. But I;m glad you're here now.

I think that woman you're asking is Shanetta Folle. She is also a choreographer and just like you I always see her in Mao's side all through the years and seems to be very supportive and emotional with Mao. :)

Thanks iceberg because I have never been able to find the name of the woman who always sits with Mao. I have looked several times. Has she done any choreography or coaching for Mao? I thought it was really touching when she had tears in her eyes after her Sochi performance.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Thanks iceberg because I have never been able to find the name of the woman who always sits with Mao. I have looked several times. Has she done any choreography or coaching for Mao? I thought it was really touching when she had tears in her eyes after her Sochi performance.

I had the same questions and feelings. She must be so lucky to be able to hug Mao after the LP of a lifetime!

What is her relationship with Ms. Folle?

gotoschool

Medalist
yas yas yas I will never forget that Mao was the no.1 most tweeted in Sochi Olympics. Not even Yuna made it on the top 5. (That's as far as i know.)

iceberg, Here is a long list of tweets from Mao's Sochi LP Performance from people all over the world. I hope you and everyone else enjoy reading through it:

tweets http://seen.co/event/the-sochi-2014-winter-olympics---feb.-20-sochi-russia-2014-5567/highlight/3174

I don't know Ms. Folle's relationship with Mao either, gravy. I have wondered for quite a while. They seem really close.

Last edited:

BounceAround

On the Ice
Shanetta Folle is a coach and used to be Tarasova's assistant. She often filled in for Tarasova at competitions when the latter couldn't accompany Mao :).

Franklin99

Medalist
Shanetta Folle is a coach and used to be Tarasova's assistant. She often filled in for Tarasova at competitions when the latter couldn't accompany Mao :).

Wow! Talk about learning something new, as I've always thought she was Lori Nicols. I've only started following Mao when I first saw her during the 2010 Olympics, and everyone kept mention Lori and Tarasova when talking about Mao. So I figured she was Lori since the other lady was Tarasova. :laugh:

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
Wow! Talk about learning something new, as I've always thought she was Lori Nicols. I've only started following Mao when I first saw her during the 2010 Olympics, and everyone kept mention Lori and Tarasova when talking about Mao. So I figured she was Lori since the other lady was Tarasova. :laugh:
No for some reason Lori never sits with Mao

bebece

Rinkside
does lori usually sit with the other skater?
as far as i know only Carolina and Patric

doesn't she has a bunch of skater that she coreo

Meoima

Match Penalty
I heard Wakaba Higuchi is working on the triple axel now and she has great height and rapid rotation in her jumps, so I am hoping that she will be the next one to carry on the tradition. I really enjoy her skating, but she reminds me more of Midori than Mao, but in spirit I think they have a lot of similarities.
Wakaba is sensational. But she is more of a powerful skater than a ballerina like Mao IMO.

gotoschool

Medalist
I have often wondered why Lori Nichol has never sat with Mao in the kiss and cry. It is truly puzzling. Does anyone know why?

Here is a really funny video I found on the Mao Asada forum made when Mao was 14 years old with four foolish fellows who chase Mao around and look like clowns as they fall down on the ice. The first part is kind of silly but it gets a lot better when Mao comes in on the ice. She is so cute here. I don't think I have posted it before.

Website where I found it: http://www.maoasadaforum.com/t1282p435-mao-post-sochi-news-and-articles

(from about 2:00)

Here is the link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23y5ry_geim-2005-07-12_fun

What are your favorite shows or programs featuring Mao?

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
I heard Wakaba Higuchi is working on the triple axel now and she has great height and rapid rotation in her jumps, so I am hoping that she will be the next one to carry on the tradition. I really enjoy her skating, but she reminds me more of Midori than Mao, but in spirit I think they have a lot of similarities.

I agree. She channels a Midori aura than Mao. Although Wakaba is a really great skater and with great potential, I wish there could be a new breed from the Japanese team who's charming, elegant and has beautiful dresses/costumes like Mao. :)

iceberg

On the Ice
I have enjoyed your posts a lot iceberg. I hope you stay.

No and I dont know why.::confused: by the way iceberg I have apprecited all your post please dont leave the thread:thumbsup:

thanks gotoschool and minze2001. When i joined in this forum I was to be honest sad when I found out that Mao's thread had not even reached 100 pages yet when Yuna kim had almost 300 and Yuzuru is approaching 1k pages.

And so just like you guys i really wanna keep this thread alive as a tribute and homage to the "could've been" 2006 Olympic Champion Mao Asada.:)

iceberg

On the Ice
does lori usually sit with the other skater?
as far as i know only Carolina and Patric

doesn't she has a bunch of skater that she coreo

At the start of this season she sat with Dennis Ten both in his SP and LP as she choreographed both programs.

Even I couldnt find a video of Mao and Lori together. The only video I've seen was after Sochi where Lori said in an interview that "Mao is my hero" but even then they were not together.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Sometimes I think it's fate. great skater of all times doesn't have to be an OGM. Kwan never won OG, she doesn't lack any credibility. If Mao comes back and wins two more World titles, that would sound sweet. But even if she retires now, she's still one of the greatest.
I consider her more lovely to watch than most of her rivals.

iceberg

On the Ice
Sometimes I think it's fate. great skater of all times doesn't have to be an OGM. Kwan never won OG, she doesn't lack any credibility. If Mao comes back and wins two more World titles, that would sound sweet. But even if she retires now, she's still one of the greatest.

I agree about fate. I remember as well P Chan winning world titles 3 times in a row and then at the culmination won Silver at the Olympics but then Yuzuru emerged. This reminded me as well of Mao since 2006 who at that time was known to be the best will prevail in the 2010 olympics but then Yuna emerged.

Fate can really be funny sometimes. But these 2 skaters proved more than the OGM because they have proved it 3 times in their world championships.

gotoschool

Medalist
I agree. She channels a Midori aura than Mao. Although Wakaba is a really great skater and with great potential, I wish there could be a new breed from the Japanese team who's charming, elegant and has beautiful dresses/costumes like Mao. :)

What do you think of Marin Honda? She is from the same hometown as Mao. But, she seems to be a little more outwardly showy than Mao especially in her exhibitions. I find her to be a really aesthetically pleasing skater and quite charming and elegant considering her age. Sometimes I wish she would tone down the beauty pageant image a bit and just concentrate on beautiful skating, but her Biellmann is wonderful like Mao's and her LP at Japan Nationals was really impressive for a novice. But, I think it's better not to hype a skater or try to fit them in the mould of my favorite hero, just enjoy the unique gift in each skater or performance I enjoy. Do you feel the same way? I think Meoima may agree with this. Also, I think I have heard that she doesn't want to be known as a mini Mao.

The skater whose lines, extensions, spins, steps and presentation remind me most of Mao is the one I mentioned several days ago: Maria Sotskova, whose LP this season I think is wonderful. I first noticed this similarity last season with Maria's Vivaldi performance, which I really loved. I wanted to thank you iceberg for your response to my post. Yes, I agree it's amazing that Mao can be such an icon while being so down to earth and it's great to see others inspired by her wonderful qualities. I find I am looking for someone to fill that empty space and seeing Maria on the ice is kind of like seeing a little part of Mao out there like Maria is one of her her skating offspring.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Marin Honda has great potential. But she's too young and who knows how she might become in the future when her body starts changing.
Maria Sotskova is very lovely and I feel that she is quite Original, interesting program as well. Still she's young so we can't tell... I try to keep my judgment until they truly grow up.

gotoschool

Medalist

To me, Mao's LP at Sochi is the greatest LP under CoP. She should have gotten a world record for that performance.

I really appreciate your persistent support for Mao and her Sochi LP, Meoima. You were actually one of the first posters who really gave me some kind of objective verification that Mao's performance was as great as I felt it was, since you were not a fan.

When I said you may agree in my last post I meant that you may agree that it's better not to hype skaters too early because I remember you saying it in an earlier post. I agree with you overall that's it's better to wait for them to grow up, but sometimes I have a beautiful vision of what a skater could become.

Last edited: