Mao Asada | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

gotoschool

Medalist
Some personal favourites:

One-handed Biellmann spin (2009-10 LP, 2006-07 SP)
Twizzles (Ballade no. 1 EX, 2006-07 SP)
Upright spin variations (2006-07 SP, 2013-14 SP)
Arabesque spiral variation (2012-13 FS)
Spiral sequence (2007-08 FS)
The spiral at the beginning of the Jupiter EX
Transitions into 3Lo-2Lo combo (2013-14 SP)

Thanks for all the list of different elements and the video links to go with them, yuki.

I really love the twizzles and Russian split jumps in Mao's most recent performance of Ballade no. 1 in Astana, even though the camera is kind of far away. She seems to have more power and speed in them and you can hear the skate blades carving the ice really sharply: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzz7HRKDUeU

The one handed Biellmann spin in Bells of Moscow is also my favorite spin, along with Mao's I spin in Por Una Cabeza and her final spin in Caprice in which she raises her arms over head and spins like a top: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41mdvXnGiSE

I love the rapid fan spiral mixed in with the dashing steps and final arcing arabesque to close out the Rach 2 performance.

and the little leap into the air in the middle of the Rach step sequence with arm and legs outstretched while flashing a wild samurai smile: http://postimg.org/image/ko1lxixpb/

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
New question guys what are your top 3 most favorite costumes of Mao?

This for me is one of my top3 most beautiful dresses of Mao. This is also the short program where Mao's tradition of retying her shoe laces came from. At 0:23 she had to stop and redo the program. But back to the costume, its beautiful and she looked like a princess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BKiU-o9h4c

Meoima

Match Penalty
I like it more when Mao dresses like a warrior. Her LP costume at Sochi is my favorite.

Franklin99

Medalist
While I like alot of her competitive outfits, I tend to appreciate her Exhibition costumes more than her competitive ones. Because her designers always tend to add parts that ugly-fies the whole outfit, like putting ruffles and chokers on the same outfit (which is a fashion heck no). Too much ruffles or plain poofiness on the chest area of the costumes. For instance, If they were to take the ruffles off of her Bells Of Moscow outfit and red bra monstrosity off of her 2010 Japan National's Tango, it would be tied for #1.

The top three Ex. outfits:

1. Por Una Cabeza
2. I Vow to Thee My Country
3. So Deep Is The Night/Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op. 23, CT. 2

Competitions outfits: I can't choose just one :p

1. Liebesträume/Fantaisie-Impromptu
2. Swan Lake/Piano Concerto No. 2
3. Nocturne No.2 Op. 9–2 in E flat major

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
While I like alot of her competitive outfits, I tend to appreciate her Exhibition costumes more than her competitive ones. Because her designers always tend to add parts that ugly-fies the whole outfit, like putting ruffles and chokers on the same outfit (which is a fashion heck no). Too much ruffles or plain poofiness on the chest area of the costumes. For instance, If they were to take the ruffles off of her Bells Of Moscow outfit and red bra monstrosity off of her 2010 Japan National's Tango, it would be tied for #1.

The top three Ex. outfits:

1. Por Una Cabeza
2. I Vow to Thee My Country
3. So Deep Is The Night/Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op. 23, CT. 2

Competitions outfits: I can't choose just one :p

1. Liebesträume/Fantaisie-Impromptu
2. Swan Lake/Piano Concerto No. 2
3. Nocturne No.2 Op. 9–2 in E flat major

Very nice choices! And of course our most favorite her Liebestraum costume. :)

gotoschool

Medalist

This for me is one of my top3 most beautiful dresses of Mao. This is also the short program where Mao's tradition of retying her shoe laces came from. At 0:23 she had to stop and redo the program. But back to the costume, its beautiful and she looked like a princess!

It's difficult to stick to only 3 because I like almost all of Mao's costumes a lot, but here they are:

1. Caprice - classy but fiery with a Spanish flair: wonderful pink and black stripes with nearly transparent mesh material. I love how she waves and open and closes the fan with such facility.

2. Bells of Moscow- The red and black costume is also classy but fiery. I really like the choker neck design (which so many, like Franklin 99, dislike) and the black gloves too, especially when she places one hand under her neck during the one handed Biellmann spin at the end.

3. Rach 2 Costume at Sochi and Worlds- The deep blue color reminds me of the tranquility but also the power of the sea or ocean and goes well with the amazing balletic flow of motions in the program: The power and grace of the Battling Ballerina. Like you said, iceberg, Tat's programs really bring these qualities out in Mao.

Last edited:

minze

Medalist

2014 Nocturne
2008 Ladies in Lavander

Franklin99

Medalist
2. Bells of Moscow- The red and black costume is also classy but fiery. I really like the choker neck design (which so many, like Franklin 99, dislike) and the black gloves too, especially when she places one hand under her neck during the one handed Biellmann spin at the end.

The choker is not really the problem, the problem is that ruffled neck. It makes the choker ugly by association. I wish the designer made another version without those ruffles. I think it would've been gorgeous version.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
The choker is not really the problem, the problem is that ruffled neck. It makes the choker ugly by association. I wish the designer made another version without those ruffles. I think it would've been gorgeous version.

I didn't read your post carefully enough. But, it's interesting how your taste is different from mine because I actually like the ruffles in the Bells of Moscow costume and in the Waltz Masquerade from the same year and from the year before. For me, it gives the costume an old timey and classical look that's fancy and matches the music.

Last edited:

leolion11

On the Ice

ITA about the ruffles, but I think the choker just looks really bad, and would still look horrible even without the ruffles. Imo the colour combination doesn't really suit her. Maybe because it's too dramatic? I find that Mao really looks better in pastel colours so most of my favourite costumes of hers are in pastel colours

bebece

Rinkside
i really like her first masquerade LP dress
she looks really good in black n her make up too, the cat eye

Franklin99

Medalist
i really like her first masquerade LP dress
she looks really good in black n her make up too, the cat eye

Yes! I love the first masquerade LP dress. Hated when she changed to that maroon monstrosity (the beginning of the flowery bust/ruffle/choker damnation) at the 2009 Worlds. Those combinations are just awful together, and I truly believe her overall scores lost points due to the harsh tone of some of those 2009-10' outfits. The sky blue one she wore during the 2009-10 GP series was :no: :slink:

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
Yes! I love the first masquerade LP dress. Hated when she changed to that maroon monstrosity (the beginning of the flowery bust/ruffle/choker damnation) at the 2009 Worlds. Those combinations are just awful together, and I truly believe her overall scores lost points due to the harsh tone of some of those 2009-10' outfits. The sky blue one she wore during the 2009-10 GP series was :no: :slink:

You know what, I think Tatiana tends to go over board with the dresses she made for Mao. Example: the white dress for the Swan Lake program. The first dress was exquisite, then Tatiana gifted Mao with a second white dress which I did not like.

gotoschool

Medalist
Thank you, Alba! My linking skills are rusty.

Mao made me cry when I 1st got to see her in person, even though it was just a practice at the GPF Quebec, before she had to - tragically - rush back to Japan. Then, I cried when I saw her successful 3A & touching Chopin SP in Detroit. Then, like many, I watched her through tears (in realtime online), as she triumphed in her LP in Sochi. In Detroit, when she stopped at the skaters' entrance after practice to sign autographs, a Japanese woman was overcome with emotion. Mao has that effect, with her grace, sensitivity & courage.

I didn't notice that this was just your 2nd post. Welcome to the Forum Upnights! It must have been wonderful to see Mao live. Does Mao make you cry more watching her live than she does on the live feed and videos?

Your post made me remember this website, "How many of you cried before Mao did?" talking about her Sochi performance: http://onehallyu.com/topic/49484-md-everyone-who-cried-before-mao-asada-did-get-in-this-thread/

I started crying about the same time she did, but then I had a bad feed that kept freezing.
It would be interesting to know what is the answer to this question for everyone.

iceberg

On the Ice
You know what, I think Tatiana tends to go over board with the dresses she made for Mao. Example: the white dress for the Swan Lake program. The first dress was exquisite, then Tatiana gifted Mao with a second white dress which I did not like.

I'm sorry minze2001 but did she have another Swan Lake program dress/costume?

I also personally didn't like her white Swan Lake costume. I can't describe it but its one of those costumes I wish Mao didn;t have to wear.

iceberg

On the Ice
I didn't notice that this was just your 2nd post. Welcome to the Forum Upnights! It must have been wonderful to see Mao live. Does Mao make you cry more watching her live than she does on the live feed and videos?

Your post made me remember this website, "How many of you cried before Mao did?" talking about her Sochi performance: http://onehallyu.com/topic/49484-md-everyone-who-cried-before-mao-asada-did-get-in-this-thread/

I started crying about the same time she did, but then I had a bad feed that kept freezing.
It would be interesting to know what is the answer to this question for everyone.

OMG i have to bookmark this thank you so much gotoschool for sharing this!

yuki

Final Flight

Franklin99

Medalist

I agree Minz2001, the Swan Lake dress that I listed as one of my favorite Mao outfits was for the first one during the GP circuit. I don't know why Tat changed it, but it went from elegant and mature, to kiddie and glittery. And Mao's designers really needs to stop creating outfits with too much emphasis on her bust area. Yes Mao is small chested but so what. Many of us ladies are small chested, especially athletes. Why they feel the need to cover/over decorate that area is a :scratch:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I would like to see a lady skate to the aria from La Rondine. I was trying to think of who could do that well. Of course it's Mao. (The only record I could find online of someone skating to that was Toller Cranston - & he could do it!)

Thank you, Alba! My linking skills are rusty.

Mao made me cry when I 1st got to see her in person, even though it was just a practice at the GPF Quebec, before she had to - tragically - rush back to Japan. Then, I cried when I saw her successful 3A & touching Chopin SP in Detroit. Then, like many, I watched her through tears (in realtime online), as she triumphed in her LP in Sochi. In Detroit, when she stopped at the skaters' entrance after practice to sign autographs, a Japanese woman was overcome with emotion. Mao has that effect, with her grace, sensitivity & courage.

Off topic, but I must interject ;):

If you go by "upnights" also on Twitter and are the person who shoots and shares lots of photos at competitions (incl. practices) .... then many thanks to you. :)