Mao Asada | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

yhmafan

Medalist
Welcome gotoschool.

This is the Hina dolls that Mao and Yuzuru versions.
According to The Yomiuri Shimbun,

Hina dolls depicting famous people who are expected to make an impact this year are on display at a shop in Taito Ward, Tokyo.

The Kyugetsu doll shop is calling the display “Revival,” and chose figure skaters Mao Asada and Yuzuru Hanyu as motifs for the second year in a row.
The empress doll has Asada’s face and wears a gorgeous junihitoe multilayered kimono, while the Hanyu doll is clad in dark blue sokutai court attire.

Asada is on a sabbatical after the Sochi Olympics and Hanyu has had urinary tract surgery late last year. Fans hope that they will both make a comeback.←Yes!!

I think that those doll's faces are very alike to them ;)

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Thanks for the photos, yhma fan. It is interesting to see dolls made to look like Mao and Hanyu dressed up in traditional Japanese clothing.

Speaking of making a comeback, There is a great translation of Mao with Akiko, Daisuke and Nobu at the following website:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...say-figure-skating-is-wonderful.89260/page-21 post #604.

From what Mao says in the translation, "We all can afford to compete as long as it's just for one year" and "I don't feeling like going (to the Olympics) at this point" it sounds like she may be planning to come back for one year and never return to the Olympics. After reading this, I think there's a really good chance that she will return for one year. But, who knows how serious she is? Maybe she's just kidding.

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
Thanks for the photos, yhma fan. It is interesting to see dolls made to look like Mao and Hanyu dressed up in traditional Japanese clothing.

Speaking of making a comeback, There is a great translation of Mao with Akiko, Daisuke and Nobu at the following website:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...say-figure-skating-is-wonderful.89260/page-21 post #604.

From what Mao says in the translation, "We all can afford to compete as long as it's just for one year" and "I don't feeling like going (to the Olympics) at this point" it sounds like she may be planning to come back for one year and never return to the Olympics. After reading this, I think there's a really good chance that she will return for one year. But, who knows how serious she is? Maybe she's just kidding.

Yeah, that is my thought too, don’t know her true intentions though, but seems like she finally became positive about her return in front of cameras to my eyes :)

iceberg

On the Ice
Asada's 3F-3Lo was ratified in the LP at 2008 4CC, in the SP at 2008 Worlds, and in the SP at 2009 Worlds. The 3-3 combinations she landed at 2013 WTT and 2014 Worlds and the one in Sochi were easily just as good as the ones she got ratified back in 2008. Her 3F-3T on the other hand was landed only 3 times internationally, all in one season, and one of them got downgraded. I would take her much better looking 3F-3Lo every time. Also your hypothetical layout has her repeating three triples, which is not allowed; under the Zayak rules a skater can only repeat 2 triples.

If Mao can come back with all her jumps as they were in 2014, I would like to see 3A, 3F-3Lo, and 3T in the SP (Mao of all skaters should not have any issue landing a clean 3T in the 2nd half of a SP), and then in the LP she could just keep the same 8-triple layout, maybe moving one of the combinations earlier to increase its reliability (then shifting the 3Lz back because she never missed it once in the last season).

I always love it when commentators say how a very difficult combination is when Mao opens a 3F+3L. I have the highest praises for this combination and for me Mao's is just absolutely the very best! Her flow over the ice, the pop and delays of the two jump, her air and landing positions, just perfect!

I have a question though, who else aside from Mao did the 3F+3L in her era?

gotoschool

Medalist
Speaking of 3F+3L ive created a gif of Mao's gorgeous fliploop combination..how'd you guys like it? :biggrin:

http://media.giphy.com/media/lXiRAS6RilSMDJlvy/giphy.gif

Thanks for the great moving picture of Mao, iceberg. It's amazing how high she gets. For an instant it looks like she may fly away. Most ballerina skaters can't jump that high, but Mao is a prima ballerina. I have tried to find information on other skaters who do the 3 Flip / loop. I had heard that Miki Ando tried the combination, but I have been unable to find it in any of her performances.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Quoting Sandra Bezic "...extraordinarily difficult 3F-3Lo." I love that combo too. Nice to see something other than Lz-T. :rolleye:

CarneAsada

Medalist
Quoting Sandra Bezic "...extraordinarily difficult 3F-3Lo." I love that combo too. Nice to see something other than Lz-T. :rolleye:
Lol. In the interest of not making too pointed a remark, I would say it's nice to see something other than 3T-3T, 3F-3T, or 3Lz-3T. -3T combos in general get far too much preference from the judges and I can't stand how there's a complete lack of recognition for the added difficulty of doing the 3Lo in combination vs 3T (other than the difference between the solo 3T and solo 3Lo).

What are the point difference between 3F-3Lo and 3Lz-3T?
3F-3Lo: 5.3+5.1=10.4
3Lz-3T: 6.0+4.1=10.1
0.3 point difference.

iceberg

On the Ice
Thanks for the great moving picture of Mao, iceberg. It's amazing how high she gets. For an instant it looks like she may fly away. Most ballerina skaters can't jump that high, but Mao is a prima ballerina. I have tried to find information on other skaters who do the 3 Flip / loop. I had heard that Miki Ando tried the combination, but I have been unable to find it in any of her performances.

aw thanks gotoschool! and prima ballerina Mao is <3!

iceberg

On the Ice
3F-3Lo: 5.3+5.1=10.4
3Lz-3T: 6.0+4.1=10.1
0.3 point difference.

see, only 0.3 point difference considering the level of difficulty of a 3loop as a second jump in combination. Another gray area in figure skating sport.

just like 3A+2T vs 3Lz+3T

chairmanmao

Final Flight
see, only 0.3 point difference considering the level of difficulty of a 3loop as a second jump in combination. Another gray area in figure skating sport.

just like 3A+2T vs 3Lz+3T

My blood boils each time I remember the 2010 Olympic SP. It was pretty clear at that time no matter what Mao landed she would have been put way behind Yuna.

Yuna 3Lz-3T: 10 BV + 2 GOE = 12 points:rolleye:
Mao 3A-2T: 9.50 BV + 0.60 GOE = 10.60 points:disapp:

It was quite refreshing at Sochi to see Yuna get hosed and being beaten by a skater a fraction of Mao's ability and talent:laugh:.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Sure, I was very satisfied to see Kim's downfall at Sochi myself, but isn't it too harsh of you to berate Adelina as having only "a fraction of Mao's ability and talent"? Mind you, she is the reigning Olympic Champion whether you like it or not. Besides, if I remember correctly, this Adelina whom you are referring to as "a skater with only a fraction of Mao's talent" had beaten Mao as well at Sochi. Now what does that tell you??? :sarcasm:

I am sorry my post may have slighted Adelina. I actually like her and I without a doubt believe she is the rightful Olympic Champion. What I meant was Yuna being beaten by someone who stills lack refinement nor the 3A that Mao had. You know there was a time Yuna fans were so arrogant they would claimed that a perfect Asada with 3A would never beat Yuna. I remember even some of them complaining how Mao managed to score 68 PCS at Worlds 2013 while their Queen had her usual 70+ PCS. I think Sochi was great goodbye present for them. Sort of a dose of reality:laugh:. Also you know a fraction could mean 9/10 of Mao's talent right;).

iceberg

On the Ice
My blood boils each time I remember the 2010 Olympic SP. It was pretty clear at that time no matter what Mao landed she would have been put way behind Yuna.

Yuna 3Lz-3T: 10 BV + 2 GOE = 12 points:rolleye:
Mao 3A-2T: 9.50 BV + 0.60 GOE = 10.60 points:disapp:

It was quite refreshing at Sochi to see Yuna get hosed and being beaten by a skater a fraction of Mao's ability and talent:laugh:.

Me too. Although Yuna rightfully deserved that 2010 OGM. I still think Mao didn't deserve the credits she received then.

But I think it has always been that way, like Mao in 2006 was already considered the very best at a very young age and was also dubbed as the child prodigy, was expected to win an OGM and vancouver was her 1st chance, then she got silver. Before 2014 Sochi, Patrick had won 3 world titles in a row and was expected to win gold but then got silver. Yuna as well was in her own league when she came back from her break and was also anticipated to win another OGM in Sochi but ended up with silver.

Fate i guess can be funny sometimes. In this kind of sports I think we just gotta expect the unexpected.

minze

Medalist
Mao was underscored in Vancouver. Sochi don't care about anyone's scores. I only remember Mao's LP

Confession of a Mao fan. I have never watched her Sochi SP. When I read on her fan forum what happened, I never went back to watch the video. It is too hard for me

Thankfully, I have her record breaking performance from world.

iceberg

On the Ice
Mao was underscored in Vancouver. Sochi don't care about anyone's scores. I only remember Mao's LP

Confession of a Mao fan. I have never watched her Sochi SP. When I read on her fan forum what happened, I never went back to watch the video. It is too hard for me

Thankfully, I have her record breaking performance from world.

I agree about Mao being underscored in Vancouver. Especially her Masquerade SP almost a 5point difference of that of Yuna's. Absurd! A no-brainer underscoring.