Mao Asada | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

gotoschool

Medalist
Seeing all these great performances that the rest of you have posted made me think about what fascinates me so much about Mao. Her emotional expression is like an incoming tide that swells slowly with the wave like motions of her balletic lines and extensions carried out with tender care, diligence, fine-tuned flexibility and flashes of athletic brilliance. The complex movements, transitions, spins, spirals and jumps in her performances are a fine weave of elaborate tapestry that draw me slowly into a trance, until I am carried away to a beautiful oasis once she descends into her soulful dance. She tells a highly personal story with her body that speaks from deep within her genuine spirit.

What is it that makes the rest of you like Mao?

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
What are your top 5 SP and LP programs by Mao?

My top 5 are:

1. Rach 2 Sochi LP
2. Bells of Moscow Worlds LP 2010
3. Nocturne SP 2014 Worlds
4. Czardas LP 2007 Worlds
5. Liebestraum LP 2011 4CC and Fantasie Impromptu Grand Prix Final 2007 or 4CC 2008 (tied)

I had to go back and add one more because I couldn't decide for number 5.

There are many more l love, but then I would just be naming almost every one.

1. Liebestraum 2011 4CC ( This program will always have a special place in my heart. ) :)
2. Fatasia for Vilon and Orchestra Worlds 2008 ( ARTIST, PERFORMER, JUMPER, ELEGANCE, BEAUTY all in this program )
3. Fantasie Impromptu 2008 4CC ( Mao is always at her very best in Chopin music, she almost like paints the music to a masterpiece)
4. Nocturne 2014 Worlds ( GREATEST SP of Mao - World Record )
6. Rach 2014 Sochi ( GREATEST LP of Mao - Also should have been the new World Record )

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Seeing all these great performances that the rest of you have posted made me think about what fascinates me so much about Mao. Her emotional expression is like an incoming tide that swells slowly with the wave like motions of her balletic lines and extensions carried out with tender care, diligence, fine-tuned flexibility and flashes of athletic brilliance. The complex movements, transitions, spins, spirals and jumps in her performances are a fine weave of elaborate tapestry that draw me slowly into a trance, until I am carried away to a beautiful oasis once she descends into her soulful dance. She tells a highly personal story with her body that speaks from deep within her genuine spirit.

I like Mao because she's... not sure how to put this, like she is a contrast within herself. She is naturally a flexible, balletic skater, yet she never back down from the "sport" part of figure skating--the triple axel, the triple flip-triple toe. She was even introduced to as the Queen of the Triple Axel at the Vancouver gala. And still, many would argue jumps weren't even her strongest qualities. Those were her spins, spirals, and step sequences.

Some would probably fall back on the "complete skater" cliche. But I think it's more than that. Mao, like all skaters, is not without weaknesses. But she stands out by never letting any weaknesses hold her back. She'd go for that 3A even if she gets hit with < and loses all her points. She was a genuine risk-taker, not one of those men who fall on a fully-rotated quad and pick up points. I love her genuine connection with her programs and her elements.

EDIT: Sorry, that should say "triple flip-triple loop." Stupid brain...

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice

I like Mao because she's... not sure how to put this, like she is a contrast within herself. She is naturally a flexible, balletic skater, yet she never back down from the "sport" part of figure skating--the triple axel, the triple flip-triple toe. She was even introduced to as the Queen of the Triple Axel at the Vancouver gala. And still, many would argue jumps weren't even her strongest qualities. Those were her spins, spirals, and step sequences.

Some would probably fall back on the "complete skater" cliche. But I think it's more than that. Mao, like all skaters, is not without weaknesses. But she stands out by never letting any weaknesses hold her back. She'd go for that 3A even if she gets hit with < and loses all her points. She was a genuine risk-taker, not one of those men who fall on a fully-rotated quad and pick up points. I love her genuine connection with her programs and her elements.

I agree with Sandpiper, I love Mao because she's very balletic, very artistic, very elegant, delicate, almost like a ballet dancer made for the work of art across the ice, but with a twist! Hey only she holds the record of landing 3 successful 3A in an olympic competition, which happens to be the technically hardest jump in the women's league. You are right, she is a contrast of her own self. She is so delicate and beautifully artistic, but a very competitive fighter!

And I have an eye for art. I have to say I don't see that in the other A-list skaters, although they are able to wow the audience. Their programs just isn't art for me.

yhmafan

Medalist
Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Today is the first anniversary of the most impressive performance I have ever seen (athletically, emotionally and artistically), so I think it's the perfect time to remember the performance and the injustice of the scores because they are merged in my mind like mixed fruit picked from the same bittersweet vine that makes the performance shine even more brightly, as a diamond does amid the darkness of a coal mine. The greatest injustice I ever seen in any sporting event is Mao finishing a distant 3rd in the LP and not getting a world record for 8 triples and the most incredibly inspired step sequence ever with level 4 spins. Mao's performance is the consummate Olympic moment ever for me, so I will never "move on" from this.

Thank you Mao for your Herculean achievement together with the grace and inspiration of a radiant angel.

How did the rest of you feel about Mao's performance a year ago as you watched and after the performance?

How have your feelings changed over the last year?

For me the performance has become even more unforgettable.

Last edited:

bebece

Rinkside
yeah happy first anniversary
lets celebrate by watching that magnificent performance

n maybe if i am strong enough i will watch it back to back with the sp performance to

some japanese fan on twitter goes on spamming bout mao on this anniversary

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
Today is the first anniversary of the most impressive performance I have ever seen (athletically, emotionally and artistically), so I think it's the perfect time to remember the performance and the injustice of the scores because they are merged in my mind like mixed fruit picked from the same bittersweet vine that makes the performance shine even more brightly, as a diamond does amid the darkness of a coal mine. The greatest injustice I ever seen in any sporting event is Mao finishing a distant 3rd in the LP and not getting a world record for 8 triples and the most incredibly inspired step sequence ever with level 4 spins. Mao's performance is the consummate Olympic moment ever for me, so I will never "move on" from this.

Thank you Mao for your Herculean achievement together with the grace and inspiration of a radiant angel.

How did the rest of you feel about Mao's performance a year ago as you watched and after the performance?

How have your feelings changed over the last year?

For me the performance has become even more unforgettable.

I remember it so well. I was at work and I cried. Until this day my coworkers don't know why.