Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call

Hybrid View

News Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call

Tokyo -- World figure skating champion Patrick Chan has insisted his blunders at the Japan Open would serve as a wake-up call as he prepares to defend his crown in the run-up to the 2014 Olympics.

More

Thanks for the article. It's always interesting hearing from Patrick.

Aside from the problems with the jumps his skating looked so fast and I like the new program.

Custom Title
    I too like the new program. He looked so pale that I was wondering whether he had this horrid cold which I have . There is a lot of it going around in TO.

I am honestly not worried about him because of his Japan Open performance, which is basically a cheesefest. He is never really solid at the beginning of a season anyway, his jumps always seem lower, the choreo just isn't that fluent yet... But you can count on him when the big competitions are near.

OT -- Hi, Medusa! Glad to see you posting.

This is not a wake-up call for Patrick or anyone else. It is just another invitation for us to line up at the CoP Kool-aid fountain.

Fall on a 3T = 7.30 points

Fall on a 4T "+ sequence" (there was no sequence; this is CoP-speak. Television announcers are not doing their job in educating the public about the rule, "when is a non-sequence scored as a sequence?" ) = 5.24

Fall on a triple Axel = 6.35

Fall on a triple Lutz "+ sequence" (lol) = 3.18

After fall deductions, that's 18.07 points.

There should be a mercy rule, three falls and they stop the program. (Alissa could have benefitted from this rule at Worlds.)

The only thing Patrick will "wake up" to is the fact that one judge felt, overall. that his skating skills deserved a 9.00, his transitions between falls a 9.00, and that he "executed" his program to the tune of 9.50.

No wonder Patrick can say in the last sentence of the interview that there is "no risk" in trying a quad flip at Canadian nationals. Indeed, there is not.

I know, I know. It is hard to rotate four times in the air and then fall down. Just like the trapeze guy who attempted a quadruple somersault. He had a beautiful release, a position in the air to die for -- too bad about that missed catch.

Custom Title
    I think Patrick is affected by his audience. I believe he can sense that part of the audience doesn't want him to do well, deserved or not, and his performance suffers for it. For him to pop two jumps... it's something that he just doesn't do. Maybe it's just opening jitters, but I feel it has to be more that.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Medusa bring back the Zebra series

Custom Title
    Thanks for the article. I really like what I am seeing in this program - something about the way he is moving with his speed and deep edges, and the use of his neck, shoulders, and arms - they seem so extended (is that the word?). Anyway, I see a lot of potential here.

I find it hard to believe, though, that his jump problems were because he felt off - not trying to be a worrier...but I really, really hope this isn't an injury like Alissa's that he is as of yet unaware of. It was heartening to read that his jumps in practice looked good, though. Wishing Chan all the best this season!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Thank you, Seniorita. You made my sour mood of a few minutes ago evaporate.
    Hey at least he didn't come close to winning. And I'm hoping that Hanyu's continued rise will be the death knell of Chan's falling all over the place and winning. Everyone's going to get tired of it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Hey at least he didn't come close to winning. And I'm hoping that Hanyu's continued rise will be the death knell of Chan's falling all over the place and winning. Everyone's going to get tired of it eventually.
    I agree - except wonder why you said "eventually" ?

It's pretty obvious how unpopular "Chanflation" is and with the exception of his ubers and the former judge who posts here from time to time it seems the majority already see Men's skating and the CoP to be something of a farce.

Fast is fast - and splat is splat.

Something's gotta give.......

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I am honestly not worried about him because of his Japan Open performance, which is basically a cheesefest. He is never really solid at the beginning of a season anyway, his jumps always seem lower, the choreo just isn't that fluent yet... But you can count on him when the big competitions are near.
    Medusa, Welcome back! The season has now really started.

and janetfan,I think it should be remembered that despite one judge reducing Patrick's skating skills score only to 9.00 here, we have proved conclusively the falseness of the base canard that Patrick could fall 4 times and win...he finished last here.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

and janetfan,I think it should be remembered that despite one judge reducing Patrick's skating skills score only to 9.00 here, we have proved conclusively the falseness of the base canard that Patrick could fall 4 times and win...he finished last here.
    Yes, it is nice that one of skating's - and dare I say life's great mysteries has finaly been solved.

No skater, not even Chan can fall four times in a LP and win.

All praise to the CoP

ETA: Perhaps the judge who gave him a 9 for SS needs to have an emergency eye examination. Chan did not just fall four times, he also made mistakes on two other jumps and apparently had a problem with his steps. Seriously, I fear for the health of this judge's eye sight - not to mention his questionable mental condition.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-07-2012 at 01:13 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yes, it is nice that one of skating's - and dare I say life's great mysteries has finaly been solved.

No skater, not even Chan can fall four times in a LP and win.

All praise to the CoP

ETA: Perhaps the judge who gave him a 9 for SS needs to have an emergency eye examination. Chan did not just fall four times, he also made mistakes on two other jumps and apparently had a problem with his steps. Seriously, I fear for the health of this judge's eye sight - not to mention his questionable mental condition.
    The fact that he fell four times and didn't win THIS TIME actually restored some of my faith in the COP. When you can fall more times than you stand up and be shaky on elements and still blow everyone else out of the water, the scoring needs to be changed.

Also I agree with you. some of these judges appear to have the PChan version of beer goggles

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Wow!!! Cham is actually human! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast