Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call

Quote Originally Posted by skatefan12 View Post
    The fact that he fell four times and didn't win THIS TIME actually restored some of my faith in the COP. When you can fall more times than you stand up and be shaky on elements and still blow everyone else out of the water, the scoring needs to be changed.

Also I agree with you. some of these judges appear to have the PChan version of beer goggles
    Yea, but I would say the greatest Men's LP I have ever seen was by Patrick - maybe two seasons ago at Canadian Natls.

He can't be perfect everytime - but by the same token it would probably be in Patrick's best interests if Chanflation
    were to disappear.

He is more than good enough to win with a mistake or two - but they take it too far.

Let's not forget Patrick is a skater and has nothing to do with the scores.

I think we have seen the last of the "blunder boy" for a while. This is a smart, talented and proud young man.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-07-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Tokyo -- World figure skating champion Patrick Chan has insisted his blunders at the Japan Open would serve as a wake-up call as he prepares to defend his crown in the run-up to the 2014 Olympics.

More
    And not a word about Plushenko and his new programms, what a change since 2010, or he realized there is a carma and he has to compete in russia in 2014.
    I don't know how old is Chan, but he probably realized younger skaters like Hanyu, Amodio, Gachinsky have harder jumps, and spins, footwork even better then his. Men FS is not ice dancing, thats for sure, deep edges might give him some bounce, but not real points.

He probably never watched Plushenko live skating and that Swan with two quads could be a real wake up call
    Last edited by bestskate8; 10-07-2012 at 05:26 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yea, but I would say the greatest Men's LP I have ever seen was by Patrick - maybe two seasons ago at SC.

He can't be perfect everytime - but by the same token it would probably be in Patrick's best interests if Chanflation
    were to disappear.

He is more than good enough to win with a mistake or two - but they take it too far.

Let's not forget Patrick is a skater and has nothing to do with the scores.

I think we have seen the last of the "blunder boy" for a while.
    That is the distinction that I think some dont make. There is a difference between disliking Chanflation and disliking PChan as a skater. He has good skills and when he is on, he deserves no doubt to win (except maybe lose to a really on Takahashi, but thats a debate for another time). Its when he crashes and falls and blunders his way through a program, gets 9s and 10s across the board and wins that everyone has issues with. Essentially, I want him to EARN his victories, not just be handed them by ridiculous margins for subpar performances.

That is the distinction that I think some dont make. There is a difference between disliking Chanflation and disliking PChan as a skater. He has good skills and when he is on, he deserves no doubt to win (except maybe lose to a really on Takahashi, but thats a debate for another time). Its when he crashes and falls and blunders his way through a program, gets 9s and 10s across the board and wins that everyone has issues with. Essentially, I want him to EARN his victories, not just be handed them by ridiculous margins for subpar performances.
    I agree with you here - but totallly disagree with what you wrote about Mirai on the US Ladies thread.

BTW -I corrected my post that you just quoted here - and meant to say Patrick was out of this world at Canadian Nationals not Skate Canada
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-07-2012 at 05:29 PM.

On the Ice
    janetfan, I didn't write anything about Mirai on the ladies thread as far as I can remember. Are you sure it was me? I like her as a skater, I just dont remember writing anything about her ....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post
    And not a word about Plushenko and his new programms, what a change since 2010, or he realized there is a carma and he has to compete in russia in 2014.
    I don't know how old is Chan, but he probably realized younger skaters like Hanyu, Amodio, Gachinsky have harder jumps, and spins, footwork even better then his. Men FS is not ice dancing, thats for sure, deep edges might give him some bounce, but not real points.

He probably never watched Plushenko live skating and that Swan with two quads could be a real wake up call
    I'd be interested to see the better footwork that these three have over Chan at his best.

janetfan, I didn't write anything about Mirai on the ladies thread as far as I can remember. Are you sure it was me? I like her as a skater, I just dont remember writing anything about her ....
    Sorry - my mistake.

But for the record - you have been warned

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Sorry - my mistake.

But for the record - you have been warned
    Just for janetfan, I promise to never ever say anything bad about Mirai or her skating

Just for janetfan, I promise to never ever say anything bad about Mirai or her skating

Please say what you feel about Mirai or any other skater.

Custom Title

Chan is only 21 and skaters like Armodio and Gachinsky are not even in Patricks league right now. All you have to do is look at results from the last couple years. As for Plushenko he could only wish he had the skills of Chan. Yes Plush has the jumps but not much in between.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I'd be interested to see the better footwork that these three have over Chan at his best.
    To be fair, those guys have to be at their best too. So you really doubt they can achieve level4 steps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Chan is only 21 and skaters like Armodio and Gachinsky are not even in Patricks league right now. All you have to do is look at results from the last couple years. As for Plushenko he could only wish he had the skills of Chan. Yes Plush has the jumps but not much in between.

when was the last time you watched Plushenko, and Amodio, Gachinsky not far from Chan, they both young and motivated, both have better spins then Chan and Gachinsky has two 3axels, he is just unlucky to be second Russian men behind Plushenko

Custom Title
    when was the last time you watched Plushenko, and Amodio, Gachinsky not far from Chan, they both young and motivated, both have better spins then Chan and Gachinsky has two 3axels, he is just unlucky to be second Russian men behind Plushenko
    Well considering that Gachinsky finished in 18th place at Worlds while Chan won thee's not much more to say there. And amodio hasn't come close to beating Can yet either. Who knows maybe they are both better spinners then Chan but really no one has the overall skills that Chan has and i'm not even a fan of his. But if anyone beats Patrick this year it will probably be Dai or Hanyu both whom are better skaters then Gachinsky and Armodio.

Custom Title
    To be fair, those guys have to be at their best too. So you really doubt they can achieve level4 steps.
    Amodio - yes. Hanyu and Gachinsky? Probably not. Hanyu in particular seems to struggle with the footwork section of his programs, and his asthma means he often has stamina issues (these things can lead to messy edges, which generally drop a level four to a three). But can they score level four with mostly +2s and +3s? Again, you said that they have jumps, spins, footwork even better than his. I'd like to see a demonstration where that comes from.

can someone link to his skate and other people in this event. thanks.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast