Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    And Dai remains the consumate elegant artist who can also jump. Anyone think of him as the "Prince" (musician) of the ice? Sexy, unique, surprising in what he can do...
    You know what? This "consumate elegant artist who can also jump" had to trade his artistry for big jumps like many other skaters who were famous for lack of transitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It is possible, though, that he peaked in 2011. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.
    Anything is possible.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 10-09-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Custom Title
    I truly hope this is a wake up call to Chan about technical skills and getting a coach. The problem in this world as well as the gift of the world is the great freedom we have. Some obviously "hate" Chan or dislike his skating. Others love him. There is only one Gold medal and everyone wants it and the fans have their favourite. plushy wants anotehr gold is it greed? Maybe but the Russian fans in general want it. You have two complete skaters in Tak and chan and they both want it. "Some say Tak had his day and it is time to move on (Chan lovers probably lol) and others want him to go to Sochi and win (Tak lovers) But only one can get gold. You have Joubert who many would say he has had his 15 minutes now move on but he wants an olympic medal and preferablhy gold. I do miss the purity of love of skating because as much as I love Shen and Zhou it was apparent they just came back for the gold be cause he was injured in 2006 and could only win bronze. AS good asa they were I kind of think that takes something away from the win. Sure we don't really know what is in their hearts (hence, I do believe even the wonderful diplomatic Kwan deep down appreciates when competitors fall - it is horrible to say but human and that would be truthful). I believe Chan and Tak deserve an OGM moreso than Evan did. Sure Evan was a good competitior but people he won and fairly won although it also could have gone to Plushy (the scores show that it was exceptionally close and it could have gone either way). I truly wonder if the pro skating was more profitable, and Japan had hosted the 2011 worlds and Tak won whether Tak would still be around? But I guess that is pointless now. now that I have appreciated their skating I would love to see at Sochi Gold Chan; Silver Tak and Bronze Plushy but somehow I predict the Canadian curse will continue for the Canadian men. I also think on the wake up notion that Skate Canada may want to invite and encourage Buttle to return even as the third skater (and sadly he would be second right now) he's not bad at all especially for the team (triple flip triple toe; triple axel, triple lutz - short). Sure Reynolds sort of has the quads but not much more and they aren't reliable.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    You'd think I'd remember reading that in the last 10 years on here...

In MY opinion you need to revise the Life of Michelle Kwan behind the curtain Volume I&II, cause I dont believe you havent read so far the quote of Mathman.

Tripping on the Podium
    "Didn't that coach that he just let go help his jumps?"

I just want to correct what I think is a common misperception. Chan did not fire Krall. Basically Krall left a situation that didn't work for her. I am told by my resources who know the situation that Chan was moving toward a more major role for Johnson and Krall who is used to being a head coach (as well she should) was not on board with being relegated to a 'second-chair' position. How any experienced skating coach could let someone who has never been a skater call the shots beats me; how Chan could expect that it would be agreeable to Krall (if indeed he did expect it) also beats me.

The "second chair' model does not fit Krall's skills, her standing and her experience.

Now, that's Patrick's choice - he set up the situation. Do I personally think he made a mistake? Yes, I do. But that's my opinion.

The fact is that he did not exactly let her go - she wasn't staying.
    Last edited by Brandenburg; 10-10-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    In MY opinion you need to revise the Life of Michelle Kwan behind the curtain Volume I&II, cause I dont believe you havent read so far the quote of Mathman.
    Nowadays instead of saying, "Fall, fall!" Michelle would go, "Under-rotate, under-rotate!"

Or better yet, "Omit the flying entrance to your second change-combination spin!"

That's what cost Mao Asada first place at the Japan Open.

In the CoP, you get credit for everything you do. If you make a mistake your score is lower, but you still get credit for the positive aspects ofthe element. Chan fell on his quad toe, but still ended up with 59% of full base value even after the -3 GOE and the fall deduction. He got credit for a satisfactory preparation and take-off, adequate height and distance, good form in the air and full revolutions.

Mao missed the flying entrance to her spin. She got 0 credit for making the equired revolutions, good speed and centering, required changes of edge and number and quality of positions. Sorry, cowgirl, you fell off your horse. No gold medal for you.

Custom Title
    Nowadays instead of saying, "Fall, fall!" Michelle would go, "Under-rotate, under-rotate!"

Or better yet, "Omit the flying entrance to your second change-combination spin!"

In the CoP, you get credit for everything you do. If you make a mistake your score is lower, but you still get credit for the positive aspects ofthe element. Chan fell on his quad toe, but still ended up with 59% of full base value even after the -3 GOE and the fall deduction. He got credit for a satisfactory preparation and take-off, adequate height and distance, good form in the air and full revolutions.

Mao missed the flying entrance to her spin. She got 0 credit for making the equired revolutions, good speed and centering, required changes of edge and number and quality of positions. Sorry, cowgirl, you fell off your horse. No gold medal for you.
    No wonder so many find CoP so confusing!

A fine example of the contradictions in the CoP.

As to the fans - they will never accept that Chan's mistakes were less than Mao's.

Perhaps the IJS failed to consider that fans (unlike a few judges) are NOT blind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    3) If he landed both quads perfectly, but fell two times on other jumps, ... He'll be in fourth and only beat Brezina and Plushenko[/B].
    Now you are talking. You seem finally got it right- Patrick Chan is the only one who can fall twice and he would still beat someone. Even Plu, shining with all his medals, regalia like a Christmas tree doesn't have this previlige. He did land both quads but fell on 2A and singled one of his trixel, still he had a higher BV than Buttle. Yet PCS did their job and the quadless Buttle won over Plu with two quads. Chan PCS over Kozuka is a fair play?

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Now you are talking. You seem finally got it right- Patrick Chan is the only one who can fall twice and he would still beat someone. Even Plu, shining with all his medals, regalia like a Christmas tree doesn't have this previlige. He did land both quads but fell on 2A and singled one of his trixel, still he had a higher BV than Buttle. Yet PCS did their job and the quadless Buttle won over Plu with two quads. Chan PCS over Kozuka is a fair play?
    Chan had better be careful - because a few more performances like what we saw at JO and his PCS will drop.
    It will have nothing to do with how he skates PCS wise - it's just the way the reputation scoring works in the CoP.

Land enough big jumps and the PCS will rise. Start missing them consistently and the PCS will drop.

And some think 6.0 was hard to figure out........ha!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    With all due respect to you and to Plushenko, I see it as quite fair for Chan to have one fall cushion over Plushenko considering what they both have brought here at JO. As of Chan's PCS over Kozuka, I agree with the judges. Kozuka has lost badly in PCS with that music combined with that choreography, and rightfully so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I see it as quite fair for Chan to have one fall cushion over Plushenko
    Oh mein got! That is precisely the scenario that the sport needs right now. Plu, skating perfectly clean in Sochi, with two quads, two trixels and stuff, and Chan who also skates similar clean stuff but falls once on let's say 3L or waxels again his 2A. And yet Chan is over Plu because PChiddy has one fall cusion. Great. Booing in Nice will look like whispering and SLC scandal- like kids' fuss. The last nail in the coffin "fs popularity" and the sport will become a joke irrevocably, means- out of Olympics.

Custom Title
    lets talk I guess parsing is not your strong point.... you have totally ignored Blue's subordinate clause......

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Then let us all hope PChiddy either skates beautifully, or falls twice.

Will the Russian media be as bad about something like the Patrick wins with a fall scenario as the North American media were about B&S wins with multiple little twidgetty flaws? After all, it is a home Olympics for Plushy.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    OK I have pruned about 20 posts out of this thread, and it is now open for posting again.

Please be kind and civil to each other?

Thank you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    lets talk I guess parsing is not your strong point.... you have totally ignored Blue's subordinate clause......
    All right. I see your post on analyzing my parsing skills is here. So, I will re-reply and hope you will do it in the civil manner too. The subordinate clause was "considering what they both have brought here at JO". Plu showed higher BV and PCS than Chan. Why do you think that it's quite fair that Chan still has one fall cushion over Plu?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast