Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am honestly not worried about him because of his Japan Open performance, which is basically a cheesefest. He is never really solid at the beginning of a season anyway, his jumps always seem lower, the choreo just isn't that fluent yet... But you can count on him when the big competitions are near.

Medusa, Welcome back! The season has now really started.

and janetfan,I think it should be remembered that despite one judge reducing Patrick's skating skills score only to 9.00 here, we have proved conclusively the falseness of the base canard that Patrick could fall 4 times and win...he finished last here.

janetfan

Match Penalty

and janetfan,I think it should be remembered that despite one judge reducing Patrick's skating skills score only to 9.00 here, we have proved conclusively the falseness of the base canard that Patrick could fall 4 times and win...he finished last here.

Yes, it is nice that one of skating's - and dare I say life's great mysteries has finaly been solved. ;)

No skater, not even Chan can fall four times in a LP and win. :)

All praise to the CoP :bow:

ETA: Perhaps the judge who gave him a 9 for SS needs to have an emergency eye examination. Chan did not just fall four times, he also made mistakes on two other jumps and apparently had a problem with his steps. Seriously, I fear for the health of this judge's eye sight - not to mention his questionable mental condition.

Last edited:
So, this quote started with me saying something like I don't like when we mix critique of the rules with critiques of particular skaters who happen to skate by the rules (and do exceptionally well in this instance). So, Chan's comment discussed in a broader context of criticizing COP veers very close to, IMO, criticizing Chan for being good at skating by the rules.

I guess what struck me was that the title of the article referred to a "wake-up call." Yet what Chan actually said was pretty much the opposite. Everything's fine, I love my programs, training is going well, my new coaching team is just what the doctor ordered, by Nationals I'll be doing a quad flip.

If he is "good at skating by the rules" and knows it, where's the "wake-up?"

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
When I read that Patrick leaves his former coach, I thought it isn't a good decision. She is an excellent technical coach. Patrick need it. Patrick isn't too consistent skater in his jumps.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree about Christie Krall. This coach Chan has now doesn't even know anything about figure skating let alone jumps. Sure she might help him on some things but i don't see how she will help him with things like jumps.

emma

Record Breaker
MM - true indeed, the title of the article does raise the kind of question you raised! Maybe the title, though, reflected more of what Doris was thinking and less of what Chan may or may not of actually learned or felt or even said when interviewed - that is, maybe the article title was reflecting the question: can Chan win if he falls 4 times, with the answer now being, no.

Regardless, he did say basically what you said - all is great. Except he also sort of implied all the changes are or were hard on him too, like it takes him a while to get used to everything. I'm not really sure what that means or why that translates into 4 falls, or why then (like he implied he wasn't feeling the ice or motivated on that day, so why?). Hope it doesn't mean he needs Krall....but time will tell that, I suppose.

I still think it strange that he fell the way he fell (not so much how many times, but just the way he fell).

ETA I don't think, though, that Chan is known for being at his best at the start of the season; and given that he has 2 new programs this year (something he hasn't had in a while), this might all just be that he isn't 'there' yet.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I truly believe the wake up call should mean get krall back but once I calm down the program and transitons and technique for edges are still there but the jumps and even spins. He won't even be top 5 if this continues. Though sadly he is still better than Canada's no.2 Reynolds. In fact, Buttle may want to think about returning - he is still good enough to be no. 2 in Canada and maybe 8th or so if he does his best (for now) at world's.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I truly believe the wake up call should mean get krall back but once I calm down the program and transitons and technique for edges are still there but the jumps and even spins. He won't even be top 5 if this continues. Though sadly he is still better than Canada's no.2 Reynolds. In fact, Buttle may want to think about returning - he is still good enough to be no. 2 in Canada and maybe 8th or so if he does his best (for now) at world's.

Did you advocate him replacing Krall when he fell three times at the Japan Open last year? I mean, this was a disaster even he hasn't done before, but it's not as if Chan's ever been in peak form early in the season - certainly not for the past couple of seasons.

That stated, his words about Johnson herself make Johnson sound like an enabler, which is the last think Chan needs, imo.

skatefan12

Rinkside
Yes, it is nice that one of skating's - and dare I say life's great mysteries has finaly been solved. ;)

No skater, not even Chan can fall four times in a LP and win. :)

All praise to the CoP :bow:

ETA: Perhaps the judge who gave him a 9 for SS needs to have an emergency eye examination. Chan did not just fall four times, he also made mistakes on two other jumps and apparently had a problem with his steps. Seriously, I fear for the health of this judge's eye sight - not to mention his questionable mental condition.

The fact that he fell four times and didn't win THIS TIME actually restored some of my faith in the COP. When you can fall more times than you stand up and be shaky on elements and still blow everyone else out of the water, the scoring needs to be changed.

Also I agree with you. some of these judges appear to have the PChan version of beer goggles;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
The fact that he fell four times and didn't win THIS TIME actually restored some of my faith in the COP. When you can fall more times than you stand up and be shaky on elements and still blow everyone else out of the water, the scoring needs to be changed.

Also I agree with you. some of these judges appear to have the PChan version of beer goggles;)

Yea, but I would say the greatest Men's LP I have ever seen was by Patrick - maybe two seasons ago at Canadian Natls.

He can't be perfect everytime - but by the same token it would probably be in Patrick's best interests if inflation
were to disappear.

He is more than good enough to win with a mistake or two - but they take it too far.

Let's not forget Patrick is a skater and has nothing to do with the scores.

I think we have seen the last of the "blunder boy" for a while. This is a smart, talented and proud young man.

Last edited:

bestskate8

On the Ice
Tokyo -- World figure skating champion Patrick Chan has insisted his blunders at the Japan Open would serve as a wake-up call as he prepares to defend his crown in the run-up to the 2014 Olympics.

More

And not a word about Plushenko and his new programms, what a change since 2010, or he realized there is a carma and he has to compete in russia in 2014.:p
I don't know how old is Chan, but he probably realized younger skaters like Hanyu, Amodio, Gachinsky have harder jumps, and spins, footwork even better then his. Men FS is not ice dancing, thats for sure, deep edges might give him some bounce, but not real points.

He probably never watched Plushenko live skating and that Swan with two quads could be a real wake up call :biggrin:

Last edited:

skatefan12

Rinkside
Yea, but I would say the greatest Men's LP I have ever seen was by Patrick - maybe two seasons ago at SC.

He can't be perfect everytime - but by the same token it would probably be in Patrick's best interests if inflation
were to disappear.

He is more than good enough to win with a mistake or two - but they take it too far.

Let's not forget Patrick is a skater and has nothing to do with the scores.

I think we have seen the last of the "blunder boy" for a while.

That is the distinction that I think some dont make. There is a difference between disliking inflation and disliking PChan as a skater. He has good skills and when he is on, he deserves no doubt to win (except maybe lose to a really on Takahashi, but thats a debate for another time). Its when he crashes and falls and blunders his way through a program, gets 9s and 10s across the board and wins that everyone has issues with. Essentially, I want him to EARN his victories, not just be handed them by ridiculous margins for subpar performances.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That is the distinction that I think some dont make. There is a difference between disliking inflation and disliking PChan as a skater. He has good skills and when he is on, he deserves no doubt to win (except maybe lose to a really on Takahashi, but thats a debate for another time). Its when he crashes and falls and blunders his way through a program, gets 9s and 10s across the board and wins that everyone has issues with. Essentially, I want him to EARN his victories, not just be handed them by ridiculous margins for subpar performances.

I agree with you here - but totallly disagree with what you wrote about Mirai on the US Ladies thread. ;) :)

BTW -I corrected my post that you just quoted here - and meant to say Patrick was out of this world at Canadian Nationals not Skate Canada :eek:

Last edited:

skatefan12

Rinkside
janetfan, I didn't write anything about Mirai on the ladies thread as far as I can remember. Are you sure it was me? I like her as a skater, I just dont remember writing anything about her ....:confused:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
And not a word about Plushenko and his new programms, what a change since 2010, or he realized there is a carma and he has to compete in russia in 2014.:p
I don't know how old is Chan, but he probably realized younger skaters like Hanyu, Amodio, Gachinsky have harder jumps, and spins, footwork even better then his. Men FS is not ice dancing, thats for sure, deep edges might give him some bounce, but not real points.

He probably never watched Plushenko live skating and that Swan with two quads could be a real wake up call :biggrin:

I'd be interested to see the better footwork that these three have over Chan at his best.

janetfan

Match Penalty
janetfan, I didn't write anything about Mirai on the ladies thread as far as I can remember. Are you sure it was me? I like her as a skater, I just dont remember writing anything about her ....:confused:

Sorry - my mistake.:confused: :eek::

But for the record - you have been warned ;) :laugh:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Chan is only 21 and skaters like Armodio and Gachinsky are not even in Patricks league right now. All you have to do is look at results from the last couple years. As for Plushenko he could only wish he had the skills of Chan. Yes Plush has the jumps but not much in between.