Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    They should change rules, if you have 4 falls you get free bonus a 5th one, Alissa could have benefited from it as well.
    Ooooo we can hand out punch cards!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Factually true, but comments like this can come off as unnecessarily dissing his Canadian teammates and rivals. Why not just say, "I hope to have a quad flip ready for Nationals"?
    So, this quote started with me saying something like I don't like when we mix critique of the rules with critiques of particular skaters who happen to skate by the rules (and do exceptionally well in this instance). So, Chan's comment discussed in a broader context of criticizing COP veers very close to, IMO, criticizing Chan for being good at skating by the rules.

But sure, he could be more humble or even polite, or just better in the PR department. One might even argue that as a figure-head for Canadian skating and even international skating (or contemporary elite competitive skating), he would serve himself and sport better if in fact he took the path you suggested. So, I don't disagree with you at all. I just get nervous when we teeter on conflate things like potential problems with the rules or judging system with the actual individuals being judged (again, who might be doing exactly what the rules say they should do, which makes it hard for me to fault them for doing it or for trying to do it).

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    They should name it after Laetitia Hubert! It can be like a reverse Zayak.

Considering all the changes Chan has made, I would have been surprised if he'd skated well. This is a bit extreme, but really kind of to be expected.
    Hubert video should have a warning before watching it psysically hurts.
    Chan 's ex coach, why she was there, with which skater was she?

Custom Title
    She coaches Agnes Z who unfortunately did not skate well.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Hey at least he didn't come close to winning. And I'm hoping that Hanyu's continued rise will be the death knell of Chan's falling all over the place and winning. Everyone's going to get tired of it eventually.
    I agree - except wonder why you said "eventually" ?

It's pretty obvious how unpopular "Chanflation" is and with the exception of his ubers and the former judge who posts here from time to time it seems the majority already see Men's skating and the CoP to be something of a farce.

Fast is fast - and splat is splat.

Something's gotta give.......

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I am honestly not worried about him because of his Japan Open performance, which is basically a cheesefest. He is never really solid at the beginning of a season anyway, his jumps always seem lower, the choreo just isn't that fluent yet... But you can count on him when the big competitions are near.
    Medusa, Welcome back! The season has now really started.

and janetfan,I think it should be remembered that despite one judge reducing Patrick's skating skills score only to 9.00 here, we have proved conclusively the falseness of the base canard that Patrick could fall 4 times and win...he finished last here.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Wow!!! Cham is actually human! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

and janetfan,I think it should be remembered that despite one judge reducing Patrick's skating skills score only to 9.00 here, we have proved conclusively the falseness of the base canard that Patrick could fall 4 times and win...he finished last here.
    Yes, it is nice that one of skating's - and dare I say life's great mysteries has finaly been solved.

No skater, not even Chan can fall four times in a LP and win.

All praise to the CoP

ETA: Perhaps the judge who gave him a 9 for SS needs to have an emergency eye examination. Chan did not just fall four times, he also made mistakes on two other jumps and apparently had a problem with his steps. Seriously, I fear for the health of this judge's eye sight - not to mention his questionable mental condition.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-07-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    So, this quote started with me saying something like I don't like when we mix critique of the rules with critiques of particular skaters who happen to skate by the rules (and do exceptionally well in this instance). So, Chan's comment discussed in a broader context of criticizing COP veers very close to, IMO, criticizing Chan for being good at skating by the rules.
    I guess what struck me was that the title of the article referred to a "wake-up call." Yet what Chan actually said was pretty much the opposite. Everything's fine, I love my programs, training is going well, my new coaching team is just what the doctor ordered, by Nationals I'll be doing a quad flip.

If he is "good at skating by the rules" and knows it, where's the "wake-up?"

When I read that Patrick leaves his former coach, I thought it isn't a good decision. She is an excellent technical coach. Patrick need it. Patrick isn't too consistent skater in his jumps.

Custom Title
    I agree about Christie Krall. This coach Chan has now doesn't even know anything about figure skating let alone jumps. Sure she might help him on some things but i don't see how she will help him with things like jumps.

Custom Title
    MM - true indeed, the title of the article does raise the kind of question you raised! Maybe the title, though, reflected more of what Doris was thinking and less of what Chan may or may not of actually learned or felt or even said when interviewed - that is, maybe the article title was reflecting the question: can Chan win if he falls 4 times, with the answer now being, no.

Regardless, he did say basically what you said - all is great. Except he also sort of implied all the changes are or were hard on him too, like it takes him a while to get used to everything. I'm not really sure what that means or why that translates into 4 falls, or why then (like he implied he wasn't feeling the ice or motivated on that day, so why?). Hope it doesn't mean he needs Krall....but time will tell that, I suppose.

I still think it strange that he fell the way he fell (not so much how many times, but just the way he fell).

ETA I don't think, though, that Chan is known for being at his best at the start of the season; and given that he has 2 new programs this year (something he hasn't had in a while), this might all just be that he isn't 'there' yet.

Custom Title
    I truly believe the wake up call should mean get krall back but once I calm down the program and transitons and technique for edges are still there but the jumps and even spins. He won't even be top 5 if this continues. Though sadly he is still better than Canada's no.2 Reynolds. In fact, Buttle may want to think about returning - he is still good enough to be no. 2 in Canada and maybe 8th or so if he does his best (for now) at world's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I truly believe the wake up call should mean get krall back but once I calm down the program and transitons and technique for edges are still there but the jumps and even spins. He won't even be top 5 if this continues. Though sadly he is still better than Canada's no.2 Reynolds. In fact, Buttle may want to think about returning - he is still good enough to be no. 2 in Canada and maybe 8th or so if he does his best (for now) at world's.
    Did you advocate him replacing Krall when he fell three times at the Japan Open last year? I mean, this was a disaster even he hasn't done before, but it's not as if Chan's ever been in peak form early in the season - certainly not for the past couple of seasons.

That stated, his words about Johnson herself make Johnson sound like an enabler, which is the last think Chan needs, imo.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yes, it is nice that one of skating's - and dare I say life's great mysteries has finaly been solved.

No skater, not even Chan can fall four times in a LP and win.

All praise to the CoP

ETA: Perhaps the judge who gave him a 9 for SS needs to have an emergency eye examination. Chan did not just fall four times, he also made mistakes on two other jumps and apparently had a problem with his steps. Seriously, I fear for the health of this judge's eye sight - not to mention his questionable mental condition.
    The fact that he fell four times and didn't win THIS TIME actually restored some of my faith in the COP. When you can fall more times than you stand up and be shaky on elements and still blow everyone else out of the water, the scoring needs to be changed.

Also I agree with you. some of these judges appear to have the PChan version of beer goggles

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast