Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call

skatinginbc

Medalist
There should be a mercy rule, three falls and they stop the program.
I like this idea a lot. :love:
Instead of saying, "plus sequence" why don't they call it "plus moonpie." Oh, I know. They don't call it plus moonpie because there was no moonpie. ;)
Moonpie, hm, yum, delicious. I imagine it tastes like Chinese mooncake. I just had one the other day. sliced into thin pieces, eaten with milk tea. :love:

Last edited:
I like this idea a lot. :love:

Moonpie, hm, yum, delicious. I imagine it tastes like Chinese mooncake. I just had one the other day. sliced into thin pieces, eaten with milk tea. :love:

I think moonpie involves marshmallows and would be a bit sweet for most adults. If you know the cookie Mallowmars, it's almost like a giant Mallowmar. I love flag and country, but in this case I think mooncake beats moonpie.

momskate

Rinkside
"While Johnson's background is dance, she's worked with skaters for more than a decade. She focuses on proper use of the body's core, not just to strengthen the artistic side of performances, but also for the technical elements such as jumps and spins."
"I do things differently. If I did the same thing as most of the other skating coaches, people wouldn't call me in to work with them," said Johnson, whose daughter was a skater."

That's a scary part that I worry about. Dancers teaching figure skaters jumping techniques? Oh, ok, if my daughter is a dentist, than I guess I know how to be one too.
Patric, get a real coach, there is a reason why figure skaters don't do things differently and don't hire ballet dancers as their figure skating coaches.

Last edited:

trains

On the Ice
"While Johnson's background is dance, she's worked with skaters for more than a decade. She focuses on proper use of the body's core, not just to strengthen the artistic side of performances, but also for the technical elements such as jumps and spins."
"I do things differently. If I did the same thing as most of the other skating coaches, people wouldn't call me in to work with them," said Johnson, whose daughter was a skater."

That's a scary part that I worry about. Dancers teaching figure skaters jumping techniques? Oh, ok, if my daughter is a dentist, than I guess I know how to be one too.
Patric, get a real coach, there is a reason why figure skaters don't do things differently and don't hire ballet dancers as their figure skating coaches.

Sadly, I agree totally. I am also curious about how Johnson got accreditation to be at the boards with Patrick. You must be a certified level 3 coach to go to national/international level competitions with your athlete. If you are even only level 2, you must send them with someone else. Perhaps a 'loophole' for new coaches.

(I totally understand you, BC. I just had chocolate. Besides, it's almost the full moon.)

If this is true about Johnson, that's unsettling. The stresses and wrenches (so to speak) that the body endures from jumping are very different from those of ballet, though ballet technique can certainly help skaters in many ways. Especially for someone who skates the demanding routines that Patrick plans, the pressures on the body are tremendous. It's generally acknowledged that he's got just about the most athletically stringent programs in the world today, and so he needs the best conditioning. I can't stand the thought of such a wonderful skater jeopardizing himself in any way that's preventable. Of course all athletic endeavor involves risks, but one can attempt to stack the deck in one's favor by conditioning protectively. Is Johnson able to help Patrick do this?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If this is true about Johnson, that's unsettling. The stresses and wrenches (so to speak) that the body endures from jumping are very different from those of ballet, though ballet technique can certainly help skaters in many ways. Especially for someone who skates the demanding routines that Patrick plans, the pressures on the body are tremendous. It's generally acknowledged that he's got just about the most athletically stringent programs in the world today, and so he needs the best conditioning. I can't stand the thought of such a wonderful skater jeopardizing himself in any way that's preventable. Of course all athletic endeavor involves risks, but one can attempt to stack the deck in one's favor by conditioning protectively. Is Johnson able to help Patrick do this?

Olympia, unfortunately, they were all true. Here is all about Kathy Johnson. I believe it has been posted somewhere before.

And more:

"She has very much the same personality as I do. She is very laid back," Chan said of Johnson. "Maybe sometimes even too laid back where I don't have anybody to push me. But I'm at that point in my career where I've learned to push myself."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's obvious than Chan hasn't learned to push himself. He ought to give himself a good swift kick.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Actually having some dance help totally makes sense-as your primary coach though. NO.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
DiManno article: For Canada’s Patrick Chan, breaking up is easy to do

Chan advises nervous Nellies to be patient; that these new routines will settle into place and the jumping mojo has not abandoned him. These are the programs he’ll likely take to Sochi and he does not foresee changing coaches again before then, no matter what his fortunes this season, certainly won’t beseech Krall to come back.

We often hear, "People have the lowest IQ when they are in love."

What a waste!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sooooooooooooooooooo he's not planning on changing his programs from now until the olys? really? ugh. :disapp: