Medal Winners Open | Golden Skate

Medal Winners Open

let`s talk

Match Penalty
RESULTS
http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2012-2013/mwo/index.htm

Well, many skaters got ridiculous PCS, probably due to their past glories. Sarah skated in her old dress with feathered shoulders, was very slow, practically walking on the ice. She was struggling with jumps in warm-up too, so I think she is not very healthy yet. Meissner was unrecognizable, put on 18-20kg? She was tryig to act like one more ice princess, skating with the oversued music R&J Nina Rota, her wine-red dress was lovely. Laura skated flamenco, in a warm-up she did 3-2 combo and triples but in the prog the things didn't go well. Rochette had the easiest jumps that she could do clean, level 1-2 seq and spins and nothing between elements, except a lot of dancing on the floor, not skating at all. Arakawa skated her Swan in the old dress. She did what she usually does, the spins were rather slow. The general feeling was very cold from this kind of frigid skating. And the Swan wasn't there. I saw that Swan in FOI about 5 weeks ago, so when the music was on I automatically remembered that Swan Trio. And how not-hot it was without Dai's technique and spice. Probably Shizuka should retire her solo Swan. One more thing that surprised me was no ovation when her win was announced, as well as during the victory ceremony. And she was at home. Odd. Irina wuzrobbed!!!! She skated Russian music, was very warm and humane. The prog had a character that she delivered with joy. Also, she was the only one from all girls who tried and did jumps other than 3T, 3S and 2A- she did 3F and 3Loop. When her score was annouced the sound in the arena was like "ooh?". Japanese don't know how to boo, so they use other ways to express their opinions.

Buttle skated his average routine. I assume it's some kind of conveyer job for him. Seriously, do something, man! It's getting boring to see the same stuff over and over again, just with a different music and in new cheap pants. Too many repetitive moves, false emotions and absolutely no idea and/or character in the prog. What exactly did he interprete to get that score? Also, the position to finish the prog when his buttcheeks are up facing judges is kind of not polite imo. Well. Honda struggled with 3A in a warm-up, fell once, then two footed and step-out. But in the prog he did it, with shaky landing a little but 3A was there. Great! His Tosca was powerful and masculine, the gorgeous male vocal was painted on the ice perfectly. Yagudin skated "Shadow" in his hoody the 150th time or somesuch. Earlier he twittered that he is not about to work hard on jumps because he thinks his health is more importatnt. So he did what he did. In some steps and arms' moves he was trying to copy Plu style but the result was dull. The audience was very warm and supportive to him, a lot of Russian flags and the loudest ovation of the night. Yag was "coached" by Morozov who looks very skinny and not attractive btw. Yag himself was cherring for Irina when she skated and hugged her when she left the ice. Philippe was lovely! In the introduction video interview he was speaing English with thick French accent, so I am not sure I understood everything correctly. But I think he said something like that he wants to skate for the audience first to please them and not judges. And he did! Some jumps and combos he did well in the warm-up but in the pro he fell- so 2 deductions. The second two deductions he got for illegal elements (salto-jump and his sitting spin not-on-blades), so that is what he meant by "not pleasing judges". Brave boy! Ilya showed his magnificent lutzes and was just good. Still I think the music choice was not quite right, it didn't open him up and it might have affected his PCS. During the victory ceremony he got the loudest cheering among all 6 medalists. And Kurt. The oldest but stil the best. His 2A is flying high, the other jumps were not super great and the rest of elements you can see in the protocol. But. It was the only "whole" program of the night where not even a centimeter of the ice, not a single note of music was wasted. One sole masterpiece perfromed easily, relaxed and super professional. Kurt, Honda, Irina and Ilya were my favourites of the night.

Mishin, Yana and Ari attanded Men's event. The arena was almost full for Men. Tomorrow (today actually) will be the major day. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
So many thanks for that detailed, and very real report, let's talk! It feels like I was there:biggrin:
Really odd reaction for Arakawa from the crowd:think:. Guess she didn't really fully grasp their hearts. Men's event, what can I say, I just want to see some clips!

inskate

On the Ice
Really odd reaction for Arakawa from the crowd:think:. Guess she didn't really fully grasp their hearts.

Different strokes for different folks I guess - according to the reports I've read she got a standing ovation. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thank you very much, let`s talk! Your descriptions have proved to me one more time why competitive skatings are so much more interesting. I can't wait to see Kurt's program!!!

Waiting for your report on Japan Open! I hope Patrick won't fall three times in front of your nose again.:laugh: Have a wonderful time!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you very much, let`s talk! Your descriptions have proved to me one more time why competitive skatings are so much more interesting. I can't wait to see Kurt's program!!!

Waiting for your report on Japan Open! I hope Patrick won't fall three times in front of your nose again.:laugh: Have a wonderful time!

Better yet, you should hope let`s talk's favorite wouldn't fall three times! Patrick's falls would be very welcomed and enjoyed I'm sure. :biggrin:

bun

Spectator
Shizuka was great. She got a standing ovation.
I think that "let's talk" dislikes her.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Just watching the Japanese coverage of Medal Winners Open on my folks' TV via Slingbox. I don't have the equipment to upload vids on youtube but until someone in Japan posts it, I've found a short clip of Shizuka's beautiful Swan Lake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuXYH0FK0Js

What a great competition! I mean we haven't had pro comps like this in years, have we!? (Is Ice Wars still going?) It's a reminiscence of the golden era of The World Pro in the 90s!!! I was so excited.

Shizuka vs. Irina: I'm Shizuka's biggest fan and IMO she skated beautifully with the perfect 2axel/3toe, spins, and the ending Ina Bauer! It'll be fun to compare this to the 2004 version!

That said, wow Irina! BIG 3flip and 3loop?? And she skated with such joy. I think Irina wazrubbed and it sounded as though the audience loved her the best. The Japanese fans are fair :)

How great to have Kimmie back!

Now watching the men. What a line-up!! Kulik wuzzrubbed!! He's still HOT isn't he. *Jeffrey was GREAT at Japan Open though :) Takeshi's 3axel! OMG Candeloro got old- meaning I got old too haha.

I'm happy this comp was made possible at all, but I'm a bit sad that for fans outside Japan, it's pretty much a youtube affair. I hope this stuff gets as much buzz as it deserves.

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
Any video of Irina?
Just watching the Japanese coverage of Medal Winners Open on my folks' TV via Slingbox. I don't have the equipment to upload vids on youtube but until someone in Japan posts it, I've found a short clip of Shizuka's beautiful Swan Lake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuXYH0FK0Js

What a great competition! I mean we haven't had pro comps like this in years, have we!? (Is Ice Wars still going?) It's a reminiscence of the golden era of The World Pro in the 90s!!! I was so excited.

Shizuka vs. Irina: I'm Shizuka's biggest fan and IMO she skated beautifully with the perfect 2axel/3toe, spins, and the ending Ina Bauer! It'll be fun to compare this to the 2004 version!

That said, wow Irina! BIG 3flip and 3loop?? And she skated with such joy. I think Irina wazrubbed and it sounded as though the audience loved her the best. The Japanese fans are fair :)

How great to have Kimmie back!

Now watching the men. What a line-up!! Kulik wuzzrubbed!! He's still HOT isn't he. *Jeffrey was GREAT at Japan Open though :) Takeshi's 3axel! OMG Candeloro got old- meaning I got old too haha.

I'm happy this comp was made possible at all, but I'm a bit sad that for fans outside Japan, it's pretty much a youtube affair. I hope this stuff gets as much buzz as it deserves.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, indeed, what about Kurt Singin in the Rain :clap:

not to mention Wynne & Druar in their last FD, and V&M Funny Face were all tap dance numbers that worked.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Thanks, let's talk!
Moderators moved my post as a stand-alone thread (thank you!).
It'd be great if you, lets talk, could post a link to your detailed reports here?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Irina looks fabulous and skated a great program! Her jumps were there and she always adds
attitude to her programs, I really enjoyed it. Thank you for the link!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Thanks, let's talk!
Moderators moved my post as a stand-alone thread (thank you!).
It'd be great if you, lets talk, could post a link to your detailed reports here?
www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?37128-Japan-Open&&p=663595&viewfull=1#post663595

I agree with you that Ilya wuzzrubbed, and Honda even more did. Mainly because that Buttle imo shouldn't be there at all. He is much younger than everyone else, he is a skater of different generation. It put the competitors in not equal position to him and caused the talks that the results of MWO were predictable in advance (if not "fixed"). That doesn't serve a good purpose to a new event that needs to earn some trust. So, I'll be speaking only about he rest 5 skaters who were more or less objectively equal fighters, that's why 4 of them came so close. Honda should have won just a little over Kulik. He was the only one who could do the ultra class element 3A, and all the rest was pretty much of the same level. In any case those two of 5 Honda and Kulik were the only ones who were not with girlish set of jumps but Men's ones . Kurt and Yag both had girls' jumps but Kurt was way more artistic, so he would have been over Yag anyway imo. Irina should have won due to the reasons that I already stated, with Shizuka 2nd and Rochette 3rd. :)

Well, in general I do want this event to continue because it was just fun to see all those long term retired skaters competing and even trying to do high class sport stuff. :popcorn:

www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?37128-Japan-Open&&p=663595&viewfull=1#post663595

I agree with you that Ilya wuzzrubbed, and Honda even more did. Mainly because that Buttle imo shouldn't be there at all. He is much younger than everyone else, he is a skater of different generation. It put the competitors in not equal position to him and caused the talks that the results of MWO were predictable in advance (if not "fixed"). That doesn't serve a good purpose to a new event that needs to earn some trust. So, I'll be speaking only about he rest 5 skaters who were more or less objectively equal fighters, that's why 4 of them came so close. Honda should have won just a little over Kulik. He was the only one who could do the ultra class element 3A, and all the rest was pretty much of the same level. In any case those two of 5 Honda and Kulik were the only ones who were not with girlish set of jumps but Men's ones . Kurt and Yag both had girls' jumps but Kurt was way more artistic, so he would have been over Yag anyway imo. Irina should have won due to the reasons that I already stated, with Shizuka 2nd and Rochette 3rd. :)

Well, in general I do want this event to continue because it was just fun to see all those long term retired skaters competing and even trying to do high class sport stuff. :popcorn:

Hooray, an MWO thread. I'll read it when I get home. Thanks for your commentary. Girlish jumps...ha ha. I understand your impulse to use that term (though the feminist in me balks at it), but I wouldn't ever put Kurt in that category because he puts so much into every movement, and the rest of his technique is so dazzling, that he's like no one else. I love that Ilia and Honda did competitive-level jumps, though. It's easy to forget how important Honda during his time because Takahashi has overshadowed him. And Ilia...what a splendid technique he has, now and always.

Can't wait to see Irina! I've missed her greatly.

LT, I definitely agree with you in wanting this event to continue. What a joy to see the greats of yesteryear pay us a visit. This competition sounds like the old Landover pro competition, a really substantial contest with high-quality performances.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I love that Ilia and Honda did competitive-level jumps, though. It's easy to forget how important Honda during his time because Takahashi has overshadowed him.

Um? Takahashi only overshadowed him in 2006. Honda was the best male skater in Japan for an entire decade before that...