Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Medal Winners Open

Custom Title
    Kurt Browning:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3V9lu2JqLU&feature=plcp

icechannel2011 also has now uploaded all of the performances in the Japan Open!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    Thanks, let's talk!
    Moderators moved my post as a stand-alone thread (thank you!).
    It'd be great if you, lets talk, could post a link to your detailed reports here?
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post663595

I agree with you that Ilya wuzzrubbed, and Honda even more did. Mainly because that Buttle imo shouldn't be there at all. He is much younger than everyone else, he is a skater of different generation. It put the competitors in not equal position to him and caused the talks that the results of MWO were predictable in advance (if not "fixed"). That doesn't serve a good purpose to a new event that needs to earn some trust. So, I'll be speaking only about he rest 5 skaters who were more or less objectively equal fighters, that's why 4 of them came so close. Honda should have won just a little over Kulik. He was the only one who could do the ultra class element 3A, and all the rest was pretty much of the same level. In any case those two of 5 Honda and Kulik were the only ones who were not with girlish set of jumps but Men's ones . Kurt and Yag both had girls' jumps but Kurt was way more artistic, so he would have been over Yag anyway imo. Irina should have won due to the reasons that I already stated, with Shizuka 2nd and Rochette 3rd.

Well, in general I do want this event to continue because it was just fun to see all those long term retired skaters competing and even trying to do high class sport stuff.

Woo! Irina was amazing! Also gave me great memories of Liu Xuan and Kanaeva.
    Love how she always looks so happy to be out there on the ice. The little sticking out of the tongue after the triple flip was pretty funny.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post663595

I agree with you that Ilya wuzzrubbed, and Honda even more did. Mainly because that Buttle imo shouldn't be there at all. He is much younger than everyone else, he is a skater of different generation. It put the competitors in not equal position to him and caused the talks that the results of MWO were predictable in advance (if not "fixed"). That doesn't serve a good purpose to a new event that needs to earn some trust. So, I'll be speaking only about he rest 5 skaters who were more or less objectively equal fighters, that's why 4 of them came so close. Honda should have won just a little over Kulik. He was the only one who could do the ultra class element 3A, and all the rest was pretty much of the same level. In any case those two of 5 Honda and Kulik were the only ones who were not with girlish set of jumps but Men's ones . Kurt and Yag both had girls' jumps but Kurt was way more artistic, so he would have been over Yag anyway imo. Irina should have won due to the reasons that I already stated, with Shizuka 2nd and Rochette 3rd.

Well, in general I do want this event to continue because it was just fun to see all those long term retired skaters competing and even trying to do high class sport stuff.
    Hooray, an MWO thread. I'll read it when I get home. Thanks for your commentary. Girlish jumps...ha ha. I understand your impulse to use that term (though the feminist in me balks at it), but I wouldn't ever put Kurt in that category because he puts so much into every movement, and the rest of his technique is so dazzling, that he's like no one else. I love that Ilia and Honda did competitive-level jumps, though. It's easy to forget how important Honda during his time because Takahashi has overshadowed him. And Ilia...what a splendid technique he has, now and always.

Can't wait to see Irina! I've missed her greatly.

LT, I definitely agree with you in wanting this event to continue. What a joy to see the greats of yesteryear pay us a visit. This competition sounds like the old Landover pro competition, a really substantial contest with high-quality performances.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I love that Ilia and Honda did competitive-level jumps, though. It's easy to forget how important Honda during his time because Takahashi has overshadowed him.
    Um? Takahashi only overshadowed him in 2006. Honda was the best male skater in Japan for an entire decade before that...

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Um? Takahashi only overshadowed him in 2006. Honda was the best male skater in Japan for an entire decade before that...
    I think she means in the grand scheme of things, not in the moment... Honda's rarely talked about Dai is talked about quite a bit like he was a breakthrough (which in some ways he is).

At least that's how I took that comment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    The little sticking out of the tongue after the triple flip was pretty funny.
    Yeah, like "look what I can do!" And she is a mother of two kids. Still did better than ice princesses. Good work, Ira!

Buttle skated his average routine. I assume it's some kind of conveyer job for him. Seriously, do something, man! It's getting boring to see the same stuff over and over again, just with a different music and in new cheap pants. Too many repetitive moves, false emotions and absolutely no idea and/or character in the prog. What exactly did he interprete to get that score?
    Eww, I missed this earlier. Do you understand what the concept of having an abstract style is? Either way, fake emotions? That would be Takeshi Honda's program here, not Buttle's.

Banned
    Either way, fake emotions? That would be Takeshi Honda's program here, not Buttle's.
    I didn't feel "fake" when I was watching Takeshi in the arena. Pardon if youtube doesn't inspire you. Honda is not the super best artistic performer but definitely not more "fake" than Buttle.

Takeshi half-heartedly grabbed his face twice during that Tosca performance. Such cliche choreography and, yes, fake emotion. That quality ran through most of the performance, with movements being performed seemingly because he had to do it and not because he felt it. Buttle's performance was definitely the opposite of that; it was raw and real and open. I think you did not connect with the music and/or concept, thus your unfairly dismissive assessment.

Banned
    with movements being performed seemingly because he had to do it and not because he felt it.
    How can you know what he felt? Honda presents a more masculine and powerful style. It might be not your cup of tea, that's fine. In any case as I said already Takeshi is not the best performer on the ice. He is more reserved and cool. But I trust this honestly way more than some cheesy fake emotions that I have to see in all progroms of Buttle over and over again. I have seen him a lot live in Japan and I don't even remember any of his show progs as some feature ones because they are all the same. At MWO he showed it again.

Honda presents a more masculine and powerful style.
    Which has nothing to do with anything. Those are simply adjectives and there are hundreds of others that define excellence. I find your definition of "masculine" to be a bit ignorant as well. It seems the word you were searching for was "stoic", which that is an extremely outdated definer of masculinity. I wouldn't really call his performance more powerful either, with his slow speed and lack of difficult edgework. Just because he did a shaky Triple Axel his performance was more powerful than everything else Buttle did on the ice?

Banned
    I find your definition of "masculine" to be a bit ignorant as well.
    I see it's some kind of fashion to argue the poster and not the argument. So, when someone says things you disagree with, you just say the person is this and that and you are the one who knows better than anyone else what "masculine" stands for. No need to be so defensive. It looks weak and speaks about poor debating skills. Don't tell me how stupid I am and how smart you are. Give me your reasons. Because without the reasons your statement has no accountability.
    Just because he did a shaky Triple Axel his performance was more powerful than everything else Buttle did on the ice?
    Then why Buttle didn't even try to do some shaky Tripe Axel if it was not such a big deal? Because he can't?

Hmm, you ignored everything I said. Your praise of "masculine" doesn't at all speak to how someone should score. That is the point. As for Buttle not trying a Triple Axel, he did a beautiful Triple Lutz, a good 3Toe-3Toe combo, and a good 2Axel. Honda had a 3Flip-2Toe combo, a non-clean Triple Axel, and a solo Double Toeloop. Honda's jump content was in fact lesser than Buttle's, but you seem to be blinded by him simply attempting the 3Axel.

Banned
    Your praise of "masculine" doesn't at all speak to how someone should score. That is the point.
    No, there is none. The only "point" you keep saying is how smart you are and how ignorant I am. And give no reasons. I don't know what meaning is implied in the word "masculine" in your post, I used it in the definitiion given in the dictionary, as having qualities traditionally ascribed to men, as strength and boldness. Yes, Honda's skating can be described as that, though he lacks the expression as I said already. Since masculinity is about possessing certain qualities and characteristics, so like any other feature it reflects in style, therefore in presentation and interpretation, i.e. a program components score. A few eligible skaters are still considered as representatives of this dying style on ice: Plu, Joubert. In pro- Kulik, Yag, Honda.
    he did a beautiful Triple Lutz, a good 3Toe-3Toe combo, and a good 2Axel.
    There are junior girls who can do the same stuff. If a non-clean Triple Axel is not a big deal, why didn't Buttle even try to jump it. Not that I wonder much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast