Thread: New LA Times Article on Kwan

Custom Title

New LA Times Article on Kwan

Kwan Leaves Comfort Zone
    A new coach helps the skater rediscover her zeal to take risks as she seeks her seventh straight U.S. title this week in Atlanta.

By Helene Elliott, Times Staff Writer

{snipet}

"Rafael is very interesting and he's pushing me real hard but encouraging me," Kwan said. "It's perfect. It's what I need right now."

Kwan will perform "The Feeling Begins" short program she used last season and the "Tosca" long program she skated twice this season. She has practiced a triple flip-triple toe loop combination and triple salchow-triple toe, as well as an easier triple toe-triple toe combination. Choreographer Nikolai Morozov recently helped her polish the programs and made minor changes, mostly on entrances to jumps and spins, to enhance the flow of her skating.

"The last few years she did some stuff, and in my opinion she should develop and improve more," Arutunian said. "She is at a level everybody wants to reach …. I think she gets more aggressive and knows what she wants."

Kwan Leaves Comfort Zone

Choreographer Nikolai Morozov recently helped her polish the programs and made minor changes, mostly on entrances to jumps and spins, to enhance the flow of her skating.
    It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I am not quite sure what "flow" means here. Last year she simplified the choreography (that is, she left out a lot of the "in-betweens") in order to increase her overall "speed and flow."

Mathman

Custom Title
    To me flow is the seamless connection of one idea / thought to the next, and no matter how complicated is the overall theme a there is no chaos or disorganization.