Judges for 2013 ISU Championships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Judges for 2013 ISU Championships

Here is the document (Communication 1631 -- there may be a newer one.)

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1951

The procedures are explained in great detail, but not the penalties. Section I says that the most extreme situation (Assessment level 4) carries penalties of "demotion or suspension." Demotion could mean something like, you can still judge lesser events but not ISU championships.

The whole process is under the direction of the Vice President for Figure Skating (David Dore, CAN), and final decisions are made by the ISU council. My impression is that specific penalties are assigned on a case by case basis.

Note the provision that everyone involved in the evaluation procedure is sworn to silence about particular individuals. I guess they don't want to air their laundry in public.

I also see that the typical ISU judge is paid 40 Euros per day for service at ISU championships, plus a bonus of 500 Euros at the end of the year. They have to pay it back if they are demoted or suspended at the end of the season.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I also see that the typical ISU judge is paid 40 Euros per day for service at ISU championships, plus a bonus of 500 Euros at the end of the year. They have to pay it back if they are demoted or suspended at the end of the season.

You get what you pay for.......

The more successful sports would struggle to get by without having well paid and highly competent refs and judges.
Most Americans saw what happened when the NFL tried to play with less experienced/amateur refs.

In fact the pressure became so great after a series of blunders that the NFL gave the real refs everything they were asking for.

To think poor officiating does not effect the popularity of a sport is silly.

If it might be true the judges do the best they can it might still be in skating's best long term interest to pay for highly trained professional refs and judges.

What is more important to a judged sport - than the quality of the judges?
Any sport will struggle if the public perception is that the officiating and judging lacks expertise and integrity.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I'm just puzzled: In general, when people talk about an individual person, it is perceived as unacceptable to attack individuals. But when the individuals formed an organization, these organizations which are run by individuals, such as ISU, the judges, USFSA, Skate Canada, French Federation, and Russian Federation, have become devil and are ok to attack without mercy.:confused: Why is that?

Corporations are not people, my friend. ;)

gkelly

Record Breaker
You get what you pay for.......

The more successful sports would struggle to get by without having well paid and highly competent refs and judges.
Most Americans saw what happened when the NFL tried to play with less experienced/amateur refs.

In fact the pressure became so great after a series of blunders that the NFL gave the real refs everything they were asking for.

There are a LOT of significant differences between the ISU and the NFL, so other than the general point that professional officials would do a better job, there isn't much scope for comparison between the two organizations. Soccer, being a worldwide sport, or tennis, which like skating is also competed by individuals and duos rather than location-affiliated large teams, might make better models. I confess I have no idea about how those sports manage their corps of officials.

Still, I'm curious about the skating judging corps could be professionalized . . . How we would get there from here would be a whole other level of complication to address later, once we know where "there" is. :)

Let's say the ISU adopts a policy of hiring professional judges accountable directly to the ISU with no national affiliations (although obviously everyone comes from somewhere).

There are several tiers of international events for which the ISU might hire officials:

ISU championships and Olympic Games (4 or 5 large events per year)

Grand Prix (7 small events per year) and any other elite invitational events such as Japan Open that they might sponsor themselves or approve if sponsored by national federations

Junior Grand Prix and the major "senior B" events

Figure skating included in regional and/or age-limited international multi-sport festivals such as Youth Olympic Games, World University Games, Asian Games, etc.

Competitions hosted by national federations or even local clubs that are open skaters from countries outside the host federation, that may combine senior, junior, novice, and lower level events

And then there are national championships, qualifiers for national championships in larger federations, and local club events --some of of them attracting only or mostly low-level skaters -- that do not include foreign competitors and would not be expected to rely on international judges

So which of these competition tiers should require only professional judges? Would there be enough such competitions to sustain several professional judges from each continent/region that has skaters competing at that level, at a livable yearly salary in addition to travel expenses? Or would they be paid moderate fees per event, traveling around the world every week or two during the height of the season, and need other sources of income to sustain them the rest of the year? Would there be any prohibitions on what other professions a professional judge could engage in (e.g., coaching, even if only at a beginner level, or even if only many years ago)?

Which events might use mostly lower-level amateur judges and also invite international pro judges to participate? Would the organizing committees have to pay salaries as well as expenses to the pro judges? Would the pro judges be allowed to volunteer their time if they choose to judge at a local competition near where they live?

Which events would rely only on volunteer officials -- maybe not even be allowed to use professionals even if they could afford it?

Would large federations tend to use only or mostly professional judges who live in easy travel distance for their national championships and other important domestic events?

What would be the pathway from domestic amateur to professional international judge?

How many tiers of international appointments would there be (comparable to the current "International" and "ISU" judging appointments)? To what extent, if any, would national federations be involved in shaping a would-be professional judge's pathway into that career?

Should international competition circuits also be restructured at the same time that the judging corps is restructured?

All details that would need to be figured out -- at least the basics before any attempt to transition to a professionalized system.

slipslidin

On the Ice
They are not human beings, but they are persons (individuals) under the law. They have rights and responsibilities just like other persons. Have I just made it more confusing?

I'm just puzzled: In general, when people talk about an individual person, it is perceived as unacceptable to attack individuals. But when the individuals formed an organization, these organizations which are run by individuals, such as ISU, the judges, USFSA, Skate Canada, French Federation, and Russian Federation, have become devil and are ok to attack without mercy.:confused: Why is that?

Human nature. People like to be nice to each other one-on-one. At he same time, we like to Stick it to the Man, fight the Powers That Be, Up the Establishment.

There are a LOT of significant differences between the ISU and the NFL, so other than the general point that professional officials would do a better job, there isn't much scope for comparison between the two organizations. Soccer, being a worldwide sport, or tennis, which like skating is also competed by individuals and duos rather than location-affiliated large teams, might make better models. I confess I have no idea about how those sports manage their corps of officials.

Just for fun I looked up the pay scale for chair umpires and line judges in tennis and found this.

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/lawsuit-could-shed-light-on-u-s-open-officiating/

The pay for officiating at the U.S. Open is $115 to $250 per day. The umpires are suing the United States Tennis Federation, charging unfair labor practices for not paying overtime for officiating at delayed matches. The USTF's position is that these umpires and judges are not "employees" but rather "independent contractors," so they are not protected under federal labor laws.

gkelly said:
Still, I'm curious about the skating judging corps could be professionalized . . .

I think it it next to impossible to overcome more than a century of tradition that figure skating is at heart an amateur enterprise run largely by unpaid volunteers.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think it it next to impossible to overcome more than a century of tradition that figure skating is at heart an amateur enterprise run largely by unpaid volunteers.

Would that same thinking apply to changing a scoring system with a close to a hundred year tradition? The grand audacity of such a comment is breathtaking in it's (lack of ) scope.

Is one tradition sacred and the other meaningless? What in the world do you really mean here :confused:

Tennis anyone :)
Tennis has changed with the times and adopted state of the art technology. The umpires are close to being ceremonial now and don't decide the close calls anymore.

The players are making so much money there are few arguments. Everybody is happy because the sport is booming.

ETA: Your use of the term "amateur" got me thinking.

Tennis used to be an amateur sport - and the Opens were closed to professionals who had there own circuit.

When the TV money came in Tennis - like Skating - and most other sports changed and experienced real growth.
Why have so many sports been able to adapt with the times and sustain their growth and success?

What happened to skating?

It's seems hard to deny the management of skating - ISU - has failed not just the fans but the skaters too.

When a sport or team has a failure like the SLC scandal, a terrible losing season, or loss of major TV revenues what happens?

Does a team fire all the players or is it typically managment that pays the price by being changed?

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Exactly! That's why I question how people could be so irrisponsible and merciless, especially when they don't have hard evidence or proof in hand, to those individuals who are dedicating themselves to do volunteer works for somebody else?!

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Exactly! That's why I question how people could be so irrisponsible and merciless, especially when they don't have hard evidence or proof in hand, to those individuals who are dedicating themselves to do a volunteer works for somebody else?!

Because they're not seeing them as individuals, but as representatives of a power structure.

I think to some extent this happens even with people who are within the system themselves to some extent. Members of skating clubs might look at club policies as coming from club leaders imposing rules on the rank-and-file members, rather than getting involved in club decision making themselves.

Even club presidents might resent policies coming down from federation headquarters. And federation officials might feel the same way about ISU decisions.

But for those who see only the elite skating on TV and read about the top-down decisions in print/internet coverage of the sport, the whole volunteer structure is invisible.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
What happened to skating?

Ask your fellow Americans! Why aren't they loving classical music and opera, but are crazy about whatever modern pop singers like Gaga and Bieber? Why aren't they loving ice skating, but prefer so much more on snow boarding and skate boarding? Why aren't they wearing semi-formal dresses to go shoppings like most people in Asian and European countries, but love to wear shorts and slippers everywhere?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am soooooooooo glad I don't have to get all dressed up to run in and get a couple of things at the store... jeans and a tshirt work just fine for me.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Because they're not seeing them as individuals, but as representatives of a power structure.

I think to some extent this happens even with people who are within the system themselves to some extent. Members of skating clubs might look at club policies as coming from club leaders imposing rules on the rank-and-file members, rather than getting involved in club decision making themselves.

Even club presidents might resent policies coming down from federation headquarters. And federation officials might feel the same way about ISU decisions.

But for those who see only the elite skating on TV and read about the top-down decisions in print/internet coverage of the sport, the whole volunteer structure is invisible.

It's interesting to hear some philosophical thinking, but it raises a few simple questions.

How much do you know about other sports?

Just about everyone knows the term "soccer mom." For every skater and skating club with it volunteers there are hundreds of thousands more who particpate in other sports.

Community organizations and clubs for sports played by kids like soccer, little league baseball and football depend on volunteers for everything from the coaching to the refs. They organize fundraisers and depend on sponsors to help pay for uniforms and equipment.

To think you have some special and unique knowledge of the volunteering spirit in American sports culture or that it only exists in skating is mind-boggling. :eek:

You mention TV fans of elite skating frequently and with a dismissive tone at times.

How much interest do members here have about the latest news from your local skating club compared with elite events?

If you see that as a problem care to tell us why?

And why do you suppose US Skating tries to make sure Natls is televised? Why is it they show the elite skaters rather than covering novice, juniors or adult skating?

Should that be changed? If so, how would it help?

Last edited:
Ask your fellow Americans! Why aren't they loving classical music and opera, but are crazy about whatever modern pop singers like Gaga and Bieber? Why aren't they loving ice skating, but prefer so much more on snow boarding and skate boarding? Why aren't they wearing semi-formal dresses to go shoppings like most people in Asian and European countries, but love to wear shorts and slippers everywhere?

I agree that slippers and pajamas at the mall are a little too much. ;)

But...United States culture hss a strong current of egalitarianism. For better or for worse, we tend to celebrate what is most common in the common man.

Figure skating runs the risk of being regarded as a hoity-toity sport for rich kids. Our big heros in the sport are people like Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamill. They were not born princesses, but rather girls-next-door who won their tiaras by old-fashioned values like hard work, dedication, talent, etc., etc., while never losing their down-to-earth charm.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I never said anything about volunteering spirit in American sports culture.

My point is that elite-level skating events such as senior nationals and international competitions are run primarily by volunteers and are part of the same structures that sustain purely amateur participation, even at the highest levels. Any changes proposed need to take that into account and not assume that skating could easily model itself on the way professional for-profit sports are run. There's a much bigger disconnect between professional football leagues (in either the American or worldwide meaning of "football") and amateur teams than there is between elite skating and amateur skating.

A handful of the very elite earn more money from skating than they spend on training some years, but those skaters are competing in the very same competitions (e.g., national championships, ISU championships, senior Bs) against skaters who will never earn a dime from competition, or from skating at all unless they coach or join an ice show.

Since skating championships are large amateur events relying on expert volunteer labor, professionalizing those experts would add to the costs long before it would add to the income stream.

Amateur sports can sell broadcast rights and bring in money to offset the costs of running events. For skating events, the largest costs are ice time and travel/accommodations for the officials (and the competitors and coaches for some international events). Paying salaries would require a whole other level of income.

If you want to propose an actual change to how skating is run, try giving some specifics of what you propose based on how things actually work now. If you want to separate off an elite level that's entirely professional, explain where and how you would make the cutoff point.

There are a few members of my local skating club who are international judges. We feel honored when they find time in their schedules to judge at local competitions and test sessions. If they were "professional" judges, would they still be able to volunteer that time?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I never said anything about volunteering spirit in American sports culture.

Oh really?

Who wrote this:

"the whole volunteer structure is invisible". (gkelly - post #52)

Again the use of the term "amateur" which mathman also used is disturbing.

It is hard to discuss something when the premise is based on a falsehood.

Some think skaters like Alissa and even Plushenko are "amateurs."

I can't buy that. They are receiving money from their federations, they skate in professional shows and also can earn money from appearing in commercials.

I mentioned that Tennis before the TV era was primarily an amateur sport. Through very good management Tennis changed and adapted with the times.

Serena made 2 million dollars for winning the US Open.

What did Ashley make winning the US Figure skating championship? Or what will she make if she wins Skate America this season?
By simply asking the last two questions basically proves skaters at the elite level are not amateurs

To deny - or worse ignore - the difference in the quality of the management between Tennis and skating is simply incredible.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I said nothing about the volunteer spirit in skating or any other sport. You're reading things into my posts that aren't there.
Maybe I'm doing the same to you and we're talking at cross-purposes.

As I said, the top skaters at US Nationals get enough funding from the federation, and in some cases prize money at international competitions, to make a profit over the cost of their training expenses.

But they have to compete at Nationals to earn the right to receive that money and get those international assignments.

MOST of the senior ladies at Nationals earn no prize money, will be lucky if they get any senior B or JGP assignment the next year, and will receive only token amounts of funding, if any. They are amateurs.

And sometimes some of them can beat Alissa Czisny. Look at 2010.

To put it another way, since you're a janetfan, Janet Lynn was a strict amateur during the time she was competing, according to the rules of the time.
USFSA sold broadcast rights to show Nationals on TV even then.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I said nothing about the volunteer spirit in skating or any other sport. You're reading things into my posts that aren't there.
Maybe I'm doing the same to you and we're talking at cross-purposes.

As I said, the top skaters at US Nationals get enough funding from the federation, and in some cases prize money at international competitions, to make a profit over the cost of their training expenses.

But they have to compete at Nationals to earn the right to receive that money and get those international assignments.

MOST of the senior ladies at Nationals earn no prize money, will be lucky if they get any senior B or JGP assignment the next year, and will receive only token amounts of funding, if any. They are amateurs.

And sometimes some of them can beat Alissa Czisny. Look at 2010.

No doubt we are at "cross-purposes."

You seem to defend ISU like your life depends on it - and I see a series of major blunders made by this organization that has truly hurt skating in USA.

It doesn't take a genius to interpret the key demographic that 70% of skating fans in USA are women.

The destruction of Pro skating in USA was not accidental. It was a choice and engineered by ISU.

Isn't it nice to hear how many fans like the Japan Open? As if a Pro Am event it was actually a Japanese idea.

Are you aware of the fact that the most successful sports can't make major changes without the approval of the participating athletes?

Tennis players are the most powerful group when it comes to determining the future of Tennis. It's similar in baseball, football and basketball.

In skating it is a bunch of old men with outdated ideas and no real vison for the future of the sport who are calling the shots.

Recently they changed the established governing rules of the sport to REMAIN IN POWER.

Why do you suppose they did that? For the love of volunteering their time?

Last edited: